Tom Selleck as a cowboy

mrsl

Tom Selleck as a cowboy

Post by mrsl »

Encore has been running Sellecks westerns lately and I find him and his western movies to be highly entertaining. I also love his contemporary "Stone" films, so I guess I must simply be a Tom Selleck fan, especially since I love him as the patriarch of Blue Bloods on TV.

They have run Monte Walsh (I still have not seen the original with Lee Marvin so I still have no basis for comparison), but Selleck's is really good about the dejected cowboy who cannot accept how things are changing to a more modern world.

In Crossfire Trail he promises a dying friend to watch over the guys' wife but when he gets there, she doesn't want his help, but he digs in on the ranch anyway, and comes in mighty handy when Mark Harmon shows his dirty, sneakin', rotten ways.

In Last Stand at Sabre River, it takes him the whole movie to get his wife to forgive him for leaving her, the kids, and the ranch to go fight in the Civil War since their state wasn't in it yet. And, in the meantime, he battles two of the Carradines, and finally another guy, while he pairs up with Keith Carradine in the fight. Another good, action filled film.

Have any of you few western fans seen any of these?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Tom Selleck as a cowboy

Post by movieman1957 »

I've seen all of them. And "The Sacketts" and "Quigley Down Under." Selleck has a charm about him that suits these films so well.

You know he means business when called for but that smile always lurks nearby. I like "Saber River" for the conflict between him and his wife. There is trouble between them but I admire the way the script has them working on it. You get the sense that even if she goes back to TX she is going to give it an effort. I'm not sure she is in love with him anymore but she is his wife and that carries responsibilities. I like that better than the other story lines.

I like "Monte Walsh" too. He and William Devane and Keith Carradine (again) I think carry that feeling of the era going by well. George Eads may be, for me, the weakest part of the film. Maybe that is because he became such a loser.

"Crossfire Trail" is pretty straight forward. I don't think Wilford Brimley is well cast but all in all I find it enjoyable.

Then there are the "Stone" movies....
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

I like him as a cowboy. He's got an "amiable" quality about him that makes you think he'd be an alright guy to travel along the dusty trail.. ha. But yes, the Movieman said it right.. you know when "he means business" too, because he's very believably tough when it is needed. It is a good combination.

Movieman says:

I don't think Wilford Brimley is well cast

Ha.. yes, now THERE is the "other hand" sort of guy.. ha. Because with all that hair he has in that movie, I have said before (somewhere) that he looks like the love-child of Jerry Garcia and David Crosby. HA! But still, I found him likable enough, in an odd sort of way, even if he did seem a bit out of place. He's just not the typical guy you'd think of in a role like that. Who knew he could still sit a pony and hold a shotgun so well with all that "cowboy" get up he was wearing. :D

Then there are the "Stone" movies

I l-o-v-e LOVE the Jesse Stone movies. He brings a lot of those same "amiable but tough-guy" qualities along to that character too (though admittedly, he is a bit darker sort of guy than a lot of the western roles he's played)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Re: Wilford.

Maybe not well cast was the wrong term. What is there not to like about his personality? It is a wonder he could stay on a horse as more than once it looked like moving about was an issue. But we are talking loyal sidekick and that he does well. (Garcia and Crosby? Good thing I haven't had lunch.)

Good to see you here.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."