Scott Eyman

Past chats with our guests.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Hollis - most of the things we order from Amazon come in about a week from all of the US. Of course, when you want something desperately, it takes a little longer!

I was able to order a copy of Flashback and The Speed of Sound through the library system WorldCat and they are coming from instate. I hope they will be here soon but I will still have to READ FAST! This is such an interesting opportunity and since I have been wanting to look for some reading on the history of film this has given me a jump-start.

Thanks to the hosts who extended this invitation. B
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Birdy,

Your name is new to me and I apologize for not having noticed it sooner so that I could welcome you aboard! This is a great place to talk movies and couldn't be further afield from TCM. No disparaging remarks, no personal criticism, just good people talking movies. The email confirmation I received from Amazon said that the seller had agreed to ship it by the 4th (this Thursday) so if all goes well, I should have it by Wednesday or Thursday of next week. It only has to travel 2/3 of the way across the country so... But thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it. And "Welcome aboard!"

As always,

Hollis

P.S. Love the avatar. Darlene and Alfalfa, a match made in heaven. Tell me, as I've forgotten (forgive my rapidly advancing years) which came first, the "Our Gang" comedies or "The Little Rascals?" Thanks again...

P.P.S. And thanks to you as well Jon, your help is always appreciated. And it's my pleasure to participate. I only hope I don't make a fool of myself. Well, it might already be too late for that but I'll try not to embarrass you!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Sorry Everyone:

I am very confused. I was going to ask who Mr. Eyman is, then I read this thread, but now I wonder, what you mean by a guest? What will he do? Will he critique movies, write a blog or what?

I hope I don't sound too terribly dense, but aren't we all guests? Additionally, I don't mean at all, to be obnoxious or rude to Mr. Eyman - I am not a non-fiction reader. I read only fiction to explain my ignorance of who he is. Much as I love classic movies, I don't care to read biographies because too often facts come out which I really don't care to know. Again, I'm just curious what the gentleman will be doing.

Anne
Last edited by mrsl on October 3rd, 2007, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

mrsl wrote:Again, I'm just curious what the gentleman will be doing.

Anne
Anne,

We thought it would be a cool idea to find people with ties to the classic film community and have them guest in a thread for a week, answering questions and discussing what they do.

Mr. Eyman will be with us for five days starting Oct. 15, talking with us about his books and career. He'll be stopping in once or twice a day during that period, and we'll have a thread specifically devoted to his online "interview."

Here is the thread where I announced Mr. Eyman's visit.

We hope to do more guest stars in the future, depending on availability.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I really like Scott Eyman's writing style. I have read "Lion of Hollywood[/b]" and "Print the Legend". I didn't realize he had written a book about the transistion from Silents to Sound.

Now, I have to read that book.

Am really looking forward to him being here for a week. Will have to think up some good John Ford questions.

Jon,

I always thought the Doug, Sr quote came from Hollywood. Now I really have to read the book!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Here's what I've read of Mr. Eyman's books:
The Lion of Hollywood; the life and legend of Louis B. Mayer
Print the Legend: The Life and Times of John Ford
Ernst Lubitsch: Laughter in Paradise

Here's what I'm reading now:
The Speed of Sound: Hollywood and the Talkie Revolution, 1926-1930
Mary Pickford, America's sweetheart

I'm delighted to read here that he's done a commentary on Stagecoach, which I'll try to get before next week.

His commentary on Trouble in Paradise is very enlightening and fun.

As a matter of fact, one of the reasons that I enjoy this gentleman's books is that he balances the scholarly with a sense of humor. This quality is also evident in his reviews for the Palm Beach Post. For example, a review that was published last week about a biography of Harold Robbins made me laugh out loud. Being enlightened and informed about the human comedy while enjoying it is no small achievement.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I watched Trouble in Paradise twice last night, once with the commentary. It was very enjoyable, and I say that as someone who is not a big fan of commentaries. He moved seamlessly between background on Lubtisch, the production and analysis of the scenes.

This is an almost perfect movie -- if it has a flaw it's that it's almost too perfect -- even the first time I saw it I was so enraptured by Lubitch's artistry that I had trouble enjoying it as a story. And did Kay Fwancis ever look more delicious?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

moirafinnie wrote: As a matter of fact, one of the reasons that I enjoy this gentleman's books is that he balances the scholarly with a sense of humor. This quality is also evident in his reviews for the Palm Beach Post. For example, a review that was published last week about a biography of Harold Robbins made me laugh out loud. Being enlightened and informed about the human comedy while enjoying it is no small achievement.

I agree about the sense of humor, it's delightful and is the leaven of his writing. I read the Harold Robbins biography review, too. :lol:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

jondaris wrote:even the first time I saw it I was so enraptured by Lubitch's artistry that I had trouble enjoying it as a story. And did Kay Fwancis ever look more delicious?

Me too---this movie literally "shimmers", I get the feeling watching it that I do when I gaze at sunlight on the sea, it's so dazzling and yet I can't turn away. I have to turn my back to the light to see what lies beneath. What a movie!

And yes, Miss Fwancis is the Bias-cut Queen! I don't believe I ever saw a more richly elegant wardrobe than hers for this movie.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Hollis - Thanks for the 'Hi"!
Re: Our Gang: I think that was their original name, then they were rereleased under Little Rascals when Hal Roach bought the rights back from MGM. It's a rather confusing story. I know they are thought of more as television than cinema, but they were originally film shorts. And I couldn't find any great pictures of Alice Brady in photobucket. Why does no one care about her?

Re: Silents to sound
Has anyone here read the book Max by Howard Fast? I've always wondered who that is supposed to be modeled on. Maybe it's just a synposis of all the big names of the time. I can't wait to get the books I've ordered by Eyman. Next month I plan to read the Mary Pickford bio.
B
Moraldo Rubini

Viva Alice!

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Birdy wrote:And I couldn't find any great pictures of Alice Brady in photobucket. Why does no one care about her?
I don't mean to change the direction of this thread regarding our upcoming visit with Scott Eyman, but I couldn't let the above quote go by without my declaring publicly and unashamedly that I love Alice Brady. Her bubbling voice is one of my favorites from the 1930's; her comic timing was impeccable. She made many silent films as well. I'd be curious to check them out, though I'd miss her dulcit tones...
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Well, I just ordered the Louis B Mayer bio, The Speed of Sound and the Lubitsch bio. I don't know when I'll have time to read these, I've only just started Sterling Hayden's Wanderer! I guess I'll be burning the midnight oil. :P
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I've been reading the Mayer bio--so far, so good! I like Eyman's style--it's factual, and obviously well-researched, but not dry, like many bios.

I'm in a Metro mood today. I read a little about Louis B., and then popped in my Mickey and Judy dvds that came in the mail yesterday! Whoo hoo!

:lol:

Sandy K
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm in a Metro mood today

That's a very lavish, glamorous mood to be in! :D
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

lol! Why, yes, it is!

I would have a bowl of Mama Mayer's famous chicken soup today if it wasn't so darn warm outside...80 degrees in Cleveland in October...go figure!

Sandy K