Q & A with Alan K. Rode on Charles McGraw & Film Noir

Past chats with our guests.
Alan K.

McGraw, Spartacus, Film Noir and Women

Post by Alan K. »

My first conscious awareness of Charles McGraw was in the film, Spartacus (1960), where he plays the "drill instructor"/head tormentor of the slaves in gladiatorial training. I understand that the making of this movie was rather contentious. Did McGraw like working on it? Was he disturbed by the firing, (or was it quitting?) of Anthony Mann, with whom he'd worked many times before? Did he have an opinion of the director who replaced him, Stanley Kubrick?
I devote an entire chapter in my book about Spartacus. Coincidentally, my first glimpse of McGraw on screen was also as Marcellus, the brutal gladiator major domo; I saw the film when it came out in 1960, a most vivid impression.

Spartacus was the most expensive film ever made in its day and there was a lot of contentiousness behind the scenes. Anthony Mann, who only used Jimmy Stewart (8 films) more than Charlie McGraw (6 films) was either fired or quit depending on which story that one chooses to believe and replaced by Stanley Kubrick.

Charlie's reaction to Mann's departure went unrecorded, but he was a professional actor used to bending with the proverbial breeze. I do know from Jean Simmons that everyone ended up respecting a young Stanley Kubrick who did a masterful job dealing with the colossal egos in the cast, most especially Kirk Douglas. McGraw was more than unhappy when Kirk Douglas broke his jaw during their fight sequence when Spartacus plunges Marcellus' head into a vat of soup and drowns him. Charlie had no love for Douglas (neither did most of the cast and crew) who he believed took advantage of the situation to treat him roughly and disrespectfully. Overall, though, it was a great part for McGraw and it reunited him with many of his stuntmen buddies that he drank with for years in the bars of Studio City.

2.)
A friend made an interesting comment to me recently. He asserted that Film Noir was an attempt to work out the problems inherent in being male in our society. Each gender finds a deep satisfaction in these types of films, especially in their bursts of violence, since they are a kind of wish fulfillment and a cri de coeur, even when characters seem to endure punishment for their actions. Do you see any truth in this?
I think it is absolutely true that people identify with the characters and situations in these movies. Certainly there is a sense of immersion in a story of a wronged person seeking to settle personal scores outside the law. In the world according to noir, the law is frequently an ambigious, bureaucratic or corrupt affair. What matters is the personal code of the protaganist attempting to square away a mess of a life ( Re: Mitchum in Out of the Past), discovering if the man she loves is really a cold blooded murderer (G.Grahame in In a Lonely Place) or risking all for love and being double crossed (B. Lancaster in Criss Cross). Frequently, the characters are compelled to act as they do, even if the ultimate price is fatally steep. In noir as in life, sometimes you start out being screwed... and then it goes downhill from there.

3.)
Sometimes it seems that the attitude toward women in film noir seemed to liberate them from conventional behavior and demonize them, often simultaneously. While most of the time women are arm candy, or an opportunity for some not so innocent fun, when they start to think for themselves, they may wind up regretting it big time. For example, the Joan Crawford character in Mildred Pierce or The Damned Don't Cry eschews domesticity for power, (though of course, in Mildred's case it's her domestic skills that get her out of the kitchen). Naturally, she's also punished for trying to "escape" her destiny. Do you think that film noir had, at best, an ambivalence toward women?
Ambivalence at best. Remember who originated film noir. Without exception, the novelists and pulp writers were men along with most of the screenwriters (Lenore Coffee, Virginia Kellogg, Leigh Brackett are some notable exceptions). I don't think I need to explore the traditional male viewpoints of women as eye candy, fallen fruit or Suzy Homemaker during the mid 20th century. It is also important to remember that noir was a style in step with the prevailing culture. Expectations for women were different in 1945. However I think Mildred's "penalty" for following her own bent was dictated more by the prevailing societal mores and studio compliance with the Breen office than with latent stereotypes and sexism.
"First is First and second is nobody"
Alan K.

Body Heat

Post by Alan K. »

Body Heat is an entertaining movie. Yes, it is a neo-noir send-up on Double Indemnity , but that doesn't mean it doesn't stand on its own merits. High points include the witty byplay between the John Hurt, Ted Danson and J.A. Preston, characters, the rich John Barry musical score and the Florida location photography. Even though you can pretty much figure out where it all is going to end up, getting there is quite enjoyable.
Alan K.

McGraw and Mitchum

Post by Alan K. »

McGraw was buddies with Robert Mitchum, right? Any choice tales to tell of that relationship?
I go into the relationship in some detail in the book. Mitchum and McGraw shared a propensity for B.S.ing hours away in saloons and both were authentic characters, although Mitchum was much more of an lntellectual- wrote poetry, sang calypso, etc. than McGraw.

One story about them in the book involves John Farrow running both actors off the set of His Kind of Woman.The pair ended up in Bourbon Street during the Mardi Gras in the Crescent City with Howard Hughes dispatching a private plane to bring them back to RKO so filming could continue!
Alan K.

McGraw and the Future

Post by Alan K. »

A question I have for you - one that I realize you must answer speculatively, is how do you foresee the future of McGraw's career if he hadn't died so prematurely and tragically? As you state in your book, his career was pretty much on the skids at the time of his death -- but if he had managed to, even partially, clean himself up, do you feel that he could have gone on to future success in films and television?

And are there any specific future roles you can envision him doing?
As you noted, McGraw's life of excess had pretty much finished his acting career by the time he passed away.in 1980. Had he taken care of himself better, who knows what he would have ended up doing. He was pretty much typed as cops towards the end, but I could have seen him in a period piece like Chinatown or as an underling to Sterling Hayden's "Captain McCluskey" in The Godfather. I think he would have been superb in those type of roles. Also an aging Chief Petty Officer in The Last Detail would have fit him to a T.

RaftFan- Thanks for the extremely kind words on the book. Greatly appreciated. Don't you have something forthcoming on Mr. Raft?
Alan K.

Femme Fatale Hall of Fame

Post by Alan K. »

Do you have a favorite role that showcases aspects of the traditional femme fatale?
I have several favorites from my personal femme fatale Hall of Fame (in no particular order):

Yvonne De Carlo in Criss Cross
Jane Greer in Out of the Past
Marie Windsor in The Killing
Joan Bennett in Scarlet Street
Audrey Totter in Tension
Ann Savage in Detour
Mary Astor in The Maltese Falcon
Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity, The Strange Love of Martha Ivers and No Man of Her Own
pilgrimsoul

Post by pilgrimsoul »

Thanks for visiting with us, Mr. Rode.

In light of some of the issues raised by archivist David Shepard's information here in the last week, could you tell us about your affiliation with and the film preservation efforts of the organization, the Film Noir Foundation?

Are film noirs made during the post war era in danger of disintegration too?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Could you please tell us some of the things to look forward to at the upcoming Noir City film festival in San Francisco?

Thanks for the time that you're spending here answering our numerous questions.
drednm

Post by drednm »

what about British films like SO EVIL, MY LOVE with the great Ann Todd?

or can only Hollywood produce noir?
Alan K.

The Film Noir Foundation and Noir City 6

Post by Alan K. »

Pilgrim Soul- thanks for asking about the Film Noir Foundation.

The Film Noir Foundation was organized three years ago as a 501-c non-profit by writer Eddie Muller and a few other kindred souls including yours truly. Our mission is to "restore America's noir heritage" through the location, preservation and exhibition of film noir movies in their original 35mm glory.

Many of the films from the 1940's-1960's have no 35mm prints available. If you go the Foundation web site, there is a link to the "Unusual Suspects"- a list of films that we are looking for prints of. It doesn't matter whether the film was shown on television a jillion times or there are a multitude of knockoff DVDs made from grainy 16mm prints. Very often, there is no original 35mm print remaining or the negative and elements can't be located or restored to strike a print. How famous or esteemed a particular movie might be has no bearing on whether there is a viable 35mm print.

For example, the elements of D.O.A., a public domain film, are in the hands of a private collector who rented us a 16mm print to show at Noir City this year. There is no 35mm print currently in existence of D.O.A. to be shown theatrically. Some of the studios maintain meticulous records of their assets (yes, that's what they call movies) others don't know where certain films are other than, "we don't have it". Many of the UA and Paramount films of the late 1940's, early 1950's disappeared when rights and studio archives changed ownership. It is a situation that I could on and on about, but I think you get the picture.

The Film Noir Foundation uses the contributions of our members and monies from our festival ticket sales and sales of speciality items ito fund specific film location and preservation projects. We also try to raise the level of awareness of film preservation at our events and via our in-house newsletter, The Noir City Sentinel that comes out bi-monthly and is a really lively, informative rag about film noir then and now.

Some of our preservation efforts are summarized here:

http://www.filmnoirfoundation.org/news.html

More recently, we have partnered with the UCLA Film and Television archive and funded the restoration striking of a new print of Joseph Losey's THE PROWLER from the original elements. We have also worked with Univeral who, under our auspices, located and struck new prints of THE NIGHT HAS 1000 EYES AND THE STORY OF MOLLY X. These films will be screened at Noir City and haven't been shown theatrically since their initial release.

I encourage everyone to check out the Film Noir Foundation web site and the web site for the Noir City 6 Festival.

http://www.filmnoirfoundation.org/index.html

http://www.noircity.com/

I will be bringing Joan Leslie up for the opening night screening of REPEAT PERFORMANCE and THE HARD WAY. We have a great lineup of films this year and I hope to see some of you in San Francisco!
[/url]
Alan K.

World Wide Noir

Post by Alan K. »

...or can only Hollywood produce noir?
Absolutely not. Brit noir is coming to the forefront and an untapped vein is Mexican noir. There are only a few cabareteras that have been subtitled for the U.S. market. For those of you who haven't seen Sensualidad (1951), it is as visually textured as any film noir made in the U.S.
Alan K.

Thanks so much

Post by Alan K. »

I want to thank Moira for the weekend invite and all of the Oasis members for their interest, courtesy and questions. This is a really special place and all of you made me feel extremely comfortable; I really appreciate it.

A final femme fatale entry. For those of you who haven't seen the Monogram programmer, DECOY, I think Jean Gillie's performance ranks near the top in the femme fatale Hall of Fame. She was a formidible talent who tragically passed away before her career really got started.
moira finnie
Administrator

Thanks to Alan K. Rode and a Message About Our Next Guest

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks from all of us for your visit here, Mr. Rode! We all look forward to reading your continued future postings here as Moxie. I suspect that we'll also be looking for a new book from you in the future, as well as your writing found at http://www.filmnoirfoundation.org, Film Monthly and the blog, One Way Street.

Thanks as well to all our members, new and old, whose lively questions and comments are a huge addition to our site. Now that we have our appetites whetted by this weekend discussion of Film Noir with Alan K. Rode, I'd like to take this opportunity to encourage you to please continue to visit with us, especially since we are pleased to announce that our next Guest Star will be...(drum roll, please)...

Lee Server, author of extraordinarily vivid and well researched biographies, Robert Mitchum: Baby, I Just Don't Care and Ava Gardner: Love Is Nothing, as well as editing The Big Book of Noir.

Mr. Server will be with us from Monday, February 18th to Friday, February 22nd. As more details become available, please check back for additional postings about this event. To read an interview conducted by Alan K. Rode with Lee Server, please click here.