Member Kevin Brownlow discussion

Past chats with our guests.
SSO Admins
Administrator

Member Kevin Brownlow discussion

Post by SSO Admins »

Feel free to post in this thread about Kevin Brownlow's visit, but questions for him must be handled as in this announcement.
drednm

THE BIRTH OF A NATION

Post by drednm »

Mr Brownlow... interesting response to Jeff's BIRTH OF A NATION question.... we (collectively) have argued long and loud about this film on message boards, especially TCM's.

I agree that the Civil Rights movement was pretty much the kiss of death for this great film, and that although there was a furor over its racism in 1915 (probably based more on Thomas Dixon's comments than the film itself), that furor seems to have died down over the decades until the 60s. The film was re-released many times; was there always an uproar over its "racism"?

I'm reading the Wallace Reid biography now and was amazed that Griffith had offered the role of the Little Colonel to Reid! I think it was a ploy to keep Henry B. Walthall in line (apparently he drank). But the racism issue is so sensitive even now that the Reid author (E.J. Fleming) doesn't even mention Mae Marsh or Walter Long in his section on BIRTH OF A NATION, which was an important film for Reid.

I too think it is appalling that the DGA removed Griffith's name from its lifetime achievement award.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I just want to say how happy I am Mr Brownlow has joined us! It's such a delight and a privilege.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Ed,

:o Please note, That wasn't me who asked about THE BIRTH OF A NATION it was Ann! I never mentioned the film at all!

:x I agree thast the best prints I have ever seen of both THE BIRTH OF A NATION, and INTOLERANCE are the Thames/Photo-play Productions ones by far! Why are these versions not on DVD, but instead we have them with inferior Musical accompinment, and print quality???

:( As Mr. Brownlow noted the prints have been copied, and re-copied so many times that they are a pale shadow of the originals now!

:cry: Very disappointed that I learned nothing about why the Photo-play Productions WINGS restoration just is not around anywhere, and isn't being aired on TCM??? I was so hoping to get more details? I trust that they are still working on this matter???
bdp

Post by bdp »

On the off chance that Mr. Brownlow might be checking back on these comments, I would like to suggest that, if audio interviews still exist with silent screen actors/directors/technicians who were interviewed for The Parade's Gone By but who had passed on before the Hollywood series was filmed, excerpts of those interviews might included as extras if the Hollywood series finally makes it to DVD. It's such a pleasure to see the personalities of the era who were still around for the filming, it would be wonderful to be able to hear those who were gone by that time.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Jeffrey,

Mr. Brownlow did refer to your question about "Wings" as a rights issue.

Perhaps Paramount has to pay royalties to Photplay and/or Carl Davis if TCM were to air that copy.

Perhaps the problem is more with Paramount than with TCM or Photoplay.

Whatever the problem, I, too, hope some day soon it comes to TCM.

But it might be worth your time to start lobbying Paramount about it since it sounds more and more as thought the log-jam may be on their side.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Kyle,

:) I am sure that there likely is footage that was not used for HOLLYWOOD, like we saw in D. W. GRIFFITH FATHER OF FILM. allot of extended interviews were presented there. It's appalling that Brownlow can't get the funding to produce a comprehensive documentary on Fairbanks! [/b

Lynn,

:o :( With respect, How I'm I supposed to start lobbying Paramount? I have no idea how to go about that? Old fashioned Letter Writing Campaign??? The people in charge probably don't even open them? I mean I have already voted for a release on the TCM Movie Data Base last year. Everyone here should do the same thing! And add that they would like to see the Photo-play restoration!

:? It's frankly absurd that it is not available if you ask me! The Carter scored version has been bootlegged all over the place, there is nothing new there? I'll bet the Telicine transfer dates back to the 60's!

:roll: As I have mentioned before If you want to hear some tracks from the Davis score for the film, E-mail me and I will send them in MP-3 files. But you rarely talk to me? I have Four Suite's of Music from the Channel Four Silents Presentation. I already sent these to Kyle several weeks ago, but I am not sure that He received them? Apparently not? Also have 3 Suite's from THE WEDDING MARCH, and 4 or 5 from the Davis score to NAPOLEON too! E-mail me!
Last edited by Gagman 66 on April 14th, 2008, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bdp

Post by bdp »

Well I would like to have all of the Brownlow/Gill, and later Brownlow, documentaries out on DVD; if Griffith, Harold Lloyd, the deMille documentary, could be part of a Hollywood box I'd take it, or if they could maybe be a separate documentary box of their own that would be excellent.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Kyle,

That would be great! Do you want me to send the Davis Music again? It seems that you did not receive it? This was well before Easter?

Also do you have Pando installed, and can you burn AVI files? I have lot's of stuff I can send you in this format.

Lynn,

Same goes for you too.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

:? Hey everyone, I am still not understanding this set up very well? First I was told I was in line for Day Two of the visit, than it seemed that I was told to go ahead and post, so I did? I was not sure we would be given a chance to respond, I'm glad that we were. And thanks for not deleting my post, I was not so sure that this wouldn't happen initially?

:( So isn't this Day Two though now? Why hasn't anyone posted other questions? I am curious to see what they will be? I take it the three questions I had last night are the extant of what I was allowed correct? I'm anxious to se who is next in line here?

:) The first days questions were very good by the way.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

The Q&A thread brought out my angering, going-postal style rants: wrong-minded greedy rightsholders that bury the arts to the point of letting it deteriorate past salvation, or bury it so long that its native audience has died off... or, even worse, the pompous jerk powerbrokers that refuse to let alternative versions appear because "they got there first". Nyah nyah nyah... pardon me if I believe someone's dad isn't the REAL one lost in translation.

Ultimately, I have to thank Brownlow for fighting the good fight.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Surprised Sad With respect, How I'm I supposed to start lobbying Paramount? I have no idea how to go about that? Old fashioned Letter Writing Campaign???
Jeffrey,

Yes an old fashioned letter writing campaign. Get all the folks at the various silent groups that you belong to or frequent to join you. The more letters Paramount receives, they might be moved.
The people in charge probably don't even open them? I mean I have already voted for a release on the TCM Movie Data Base last year. Everyone here should do the same thing! And add that they would like to see the Photo-play restoration!
Voting for it at TCM is likely not to have much impact as TCM is under the care and handling of Warner Bros. not Paramount.

Paramount is who you have to convince, not TCM.

It may all be for naught, but it also might be effective. You will never know for sure unless you try.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Hello everyone, I'm back from my lovely holiday. I've done the unpacking and I have been dying to read the Kevin Brownlow thread. I've just done so. You all asked some wonderful questions and Kevin Brownlow comes across as a very knowledgeable and likeable man, very definetly one of us.

Thanks for posting my questions. I can't believe I've spoken to someone who spoke to Charlie Chaplin :D What he said about The Countess From Hong Kong has been said by other people.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
bdp

Post by bdp »

I hope he will so honor us again at some point in the future - now that the week's over several questions have come to me...
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Kyle,

:? Well, I sure wish that I had asked him if Ernst Lubitsch long unseen feature FORBIDDEN PARADISE (Paramount, 1924) with Pola Negri, and Adolphe Menjou, is complete or not?

:roll: I know that another of his American Silent's SO THIS PARIS IS (Warner Brothers, 1926), is missing a reel or two, but I am not sure about FORBIDDEN PARADISE? The good thing is that unlike THE PATRIOT (1928) from what I understand, neither of these tiles is a lost film.

Lynn,

:? Why do you apparently refuse to talk to me, except on these forums? And with respect, almost always to find fault with something that I had to say? I do not understand?

:roll: If you read what it says, on the TCM Movie Data Base, the other Studio's not just Warner's, are supposed to be kept up to date on every movie that we vote for to be released on DVD? If this is true, voting their should be a good strategy? Leaving a nice review is another idea.