Welcome to Genevieve McGillicuddy from TCM in October

Past chats with our guests.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Welcome to Gen McGillicuddy from TCM in October

Post by moira finnie »

Thank you so much for joining us at the SSO!

I was wondering if there are plans to celebrate the work of a particular director at the 2011 event?

What criteria does TCM use when selecting a film for this upcoming event?

Is there a possibility that the TCM Film Festival would ever be held on the East Coast someday?

Will more roadshow versions of the TCM Film Festival in the future with hosts, special guests and screenings around the country be possible?

Are the current Fan Testimonials being broadcast on TCM all gleaned from interviews with last year's attendees?

Thanks very much,
Moira
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Gen McGillicuddy

Post by Gen McGillicuddy »

...My question is more of a personal one - you are a film buff, and majored in film studies, so I would love to know what are your favorite classic films? Do you have a favorite film era?

Boy, that is a tough question-- I will watch pretty much any screwball comedy, have an affinity for British cinema (especially of 1940s), David Lean, Fredic March, Kurosawa films (but I favor his contemporary stories, not necessarily the 'samurai' films), like HIGH AND LOW and IKIRU. I also seek out obscure stuff. I watch all the TravelTalks that TCM airs- it's fun to watch these Technicolor travelogues. I have also become a huge fan of Julie Christie... and I also watch a lot of documentaries, like F. Wiseman, Errol Morris, and everything in between.
Gen McGillicuddy

Moira[/quote]I was wondering if there are plans to celebrate the work of a particular director at the 2011 event?

What criteria does TCM use when selecting a film for this upcoming event?

Is there a possibility that the TCM Film Festival would ever be held on the East Coast someday?

Will more roadshow versions of the TCM Film Festival in the future with hosts, special guests and screenings around the country be possible?

Are the current Fan Testimonials being broadcast on TCM all gleaned from interviews with last year's attendees?

-Programming announcements will start coming soon... more to come at that time.
I can't really speak for Charlie Tabesh, our head of programming for both the network and the festival, but I can tell you that the programming philosphy is shaped by a goal to show films the way they were meant to be seen, and to provide context for the films.

-In 2011 the Festival will be held again in Hollywood-- we have not ruled out the possibility that the Festival may move to another location, but that has not been determined at this time.

-Last year, TCM launched "Road to Hollywood" last year, to bring the festival experience to fans across the country- we were very pleased with it's success. I can't really discuss more, but we'd love to repeat that success if we can.

-There is a spot airing on TCM now, that does feature interviews with a number of fans who attended the 2010 Festival-- many thanks for their particpation and willingness to share their stories!
Gen McGillicuddy

...I am curious on how TCM handles their celebrity guests who attend the festival screenings. Aside from having them sign a standard release for video material, do you also pay your guests an honorarium fee?

I can't comment on the honorarium fee or arrangements, but I will say that TCM is very grateful for to our fans in the celebrity/industry community and relationships that we enjoy with them.
Gen McGillicuddy

...I was lucky enough to meet you at the festival for a moment, and you were indeed as busy
as the linked article claims. How do you keep up your energy level?

-Do you know if there is an air date for the interview with Luise Rainer yet?

-BTW, I'm tall, bilingual, respond well to commands, and chatter away. Need any volunteers for TCM Fest 2011?

Hi there- glad we got to meet at the Festival-- honestly, I think my energy level fed off the excitement going on- it was not tough to find inspiration in seeing all of the TCM fans get together and have a good time. That may sound corny, but it's true-- after months of planning, to suddenly see the audience all gathered and in person, was pretty incredible.

I think there will be an announcement very soon regarding the airing of the Luise Rainer interview- stay tuned!

I really appreciate the offer to volunteer-- unfortunately, we cannot accept volunteers for the Festival.
Gen McGillicuddy

--I just wanted to say I am very happy to see the Hammer horror films featured on TCM this month. They are often overlooked, and it made me glad to see that TCM was "thinking outside the box" on this issue.

thank you! I will pass that on to our programming group. I agree- it's great that we were able to feature them on-air this month.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thank you, Gen! I can't wait to see Cary Grant and Preston Sturges.... How about a round table writer's discussion with Sturges, Wilder, Brackett, Ben Hecht, Dorothy Parker, Morrie Ryskind and Robert Riskin?

I can dream too, can't I? :D

In response to your answers about Luise Rainer and how smoothly everything actually went... I am very curious as to how you schedule a backup plan - I can only assume that with such great planning, there was something scheduled in case Ms. Rainer or another star was unable to attend? Was there a surprise guest in the works in case of emergency? I know Tony Curtis was ill, and am wondering how you organize an event to prevent fans being too disappointed. Obviously, you cannot replace a Tony Curtis or a Luise Rainer, but I am sure you try not to let the fans down.
Gen McGillicuddy

JackFavell wrote:Thank you, Gen! I can't wait to see Cary Grant and Preston Sturges.... How about a round table writer's discussion with Sturges, Wilder, Brackett, Ben Hecht, Dorothy Parker, Morrie Ryskind and Robert Riskin?

I can dream too, can't I? :D

In response to your answers about Luise Rainer and how smoothly everything actually went... I am very curious as to how you schedule a backup plan - I can only assume that with such great planning, there was something scheduled in case Ms. Rainer or another star was unable to attend? Was there a surprise guest in the works in case of emergency? I know Tony Curtis was ill, and am wondering how you organize an event to prevent fans being too disappointed. Obviously, you cannot replace a Tony Curtis or a Luise Rainer, but I am sure you try not to let the fans down.
Well, that might be a crowded panel.. . :D

Often the backup plan may not be the ideal scenario, but we're committed to making sure that each presentation is as unique as possible, even if a guest may not be able to join us. The plan may really depend on how much time we have to jump into action-- but, yes, we would likely consider alternative ideas if our initial plan cannot work out.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

According to the January schedule that just went up at TCM.com, that Luis Rainer special is due to air on the 12th.

Gen---I just can't contain myself, I have to pass along my ridiculous excitement to you over TCM broadcasting John Ford's "Rookie of the Year" in January!!!! It's things like this that make me such an addict of the network. :D

And if there is any chance for Upstream or any other Ford films showing up at the festival, it may be impossible for me to stay away.

I'll have a lot to celebrate when I get there!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Dear Ms. McGillicuddy,

:D Thank you so much for addressing my earlier post. It was so nice to finally see the restored Betty Hutton movie INCENDIARY BLONDE (1945) on TCM tonight. I know that Chuck had been working to obtain the rights for a couple years. Beautiful print of this unjustly forgotten classic! It seems almost everything that was featured at the Festival either has turned up on TCM, or will in the next month or so. Most encouraging. Thank you again for all your continued hard work. Very much looking forward to the long awaited new documentary on Hollywood. MOGULS AND MOVIE STARS in November, along with all the related programming! TCM is the greatest!
filmlover

Post by filmlover »

Hi, Genevieve,

I posted a welcome here a couple of days age but it seems to have not taken. So, "Welcome!" again.

I know how hard you worked at this year's festival. I am not just talking about the logistics beforehand, but, rather, about how you seemed to make it to the opening moments of every film. You may not have stayed, but you were there. I am sure there was many a "Phew!" as you raced to each location and pulling the guests together for it. Looking back on it all now, six months later, what moment makes you smile the most?

I think there was only one film you actually got to stay for last time. Out of the schedule coming up, what film do you plan to stay for its entirety? (I know it is six months away - for us, a long time, but for you it is like it is tomorrow - but I am guessing you have been able to suggest a favorite film of yours for the new festival.)

Look forward to seeing you.

Peter
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Hey Genevieve,

Again thank you so much for joining us at the Oasis! I have a couple of questions regarding the brand marketing that you do. How do you decide which companies to partner with? Also, the book line that TCM produces, "Leading Men" and "Leading Ladies", does Brand Marketing have a voice in the subject matter of the books? Will there be more books coming from TCM?

Will there be other areas that Brand Marketing will be exploring as well?

Again , thanks for joining us!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Gen McGillicuddy

...It seems almost everything that was featured at the Festival either has turned up on TCM, or will in the next month or so. Most encouraging. Thank you again for all your continued hard work. Very much looking forward to the long awaited new documentary on Hollywood. MOGULS AND MOVIE STARS in November, along with all the related programming! TCM is the greatest!

thank you very much! We are very excited about MOGULS, too and we hope you enjoy the series. Also, in case you had not heard yet, we are launching a MOGULS themed exhibit with some great memorabilia, on tour thru five cities this fall. It starts next week, in Atlanta, and is free and open to the public wherever it goes. More details can be found at www.tcm.com/moguls
Gen McGillicuddy

...I know how hard you worked at this year's festival. I am not just talking about the logistics beforehand, but, rather, about how you seemed to make it to the opening moments of every film. You may not have stayed, but you were there. I am sure there was many a "Phew!" as you raced to each location and pulling the guests together for it. Looking back on it all now, six months later, what moment makes you smile the most?

I think there was only one film you actually got to stay for last time. Out of the schedule coming up, what film do you plan to stay for its entirety? (I know it is six months away - for us, a long time, but for you it is like it is tomorrow - but I am guessing you have been able to suggest a favorite film of yours for the new festival.)

Hi Peter!

I wish I'd seen a film during the festival-- that's tough part about running an event, is that you can't really take the time to watch the films! I can tell you that if I had been able to sit through one film in it's entirety, it probably would have been NORTH BY NORTHWEST or METROPOLIS. METROPOLIS is probably the screening that makes me smile the most when I recollect those events... it was truly a magical moment when the title sequence came onscreen, with the incredible Alloy Orchestra playing, to know that the film projected was the print that Fritz Lang always intended to be released in the US, but had never been before that evening. And, the family of Erich Pommer, the man who produced METROPOLIS, were some of our special guests that evening-- his grandson and great grandson were in attendance.
Gen McGillicuddy

....Again thank you so much for joining us at the Oasis! I have a couple of questions regarding the brand marketing that you do. How do you decide which companies to partner with?

We are fairly choosy when it comes to creating partnerships-- often we are seeking an organic match that will not only create something of benefit to both parties, but also makes sense for the projects coming up for TCM, and make sense for our brand.

Also, the book line that TCM produces, "Leading Men" and "Leading Ladies", does Brand Marketing have a voice in the subject matter of the books?
Will there be more books coming from TCM?

Yes, we are working on a new book now- but I can't share details as yet.. our brand team has oversight and management of all TCM publishing projects (including concept, content and editing).

Will there be other areas that Brand Marketing will be exploring as well?
TCM is exploring ways to build additional extensions to the brand-- one example of this would be the soundtrack part of the TCM.com store. The MOGULS exhibit, which was produced in conjunction with several other departments at TCM, is another example of bringing the brand to life off the network.