Welcome to John Bengtson- April 24th-28th

Past chats with our guests.
SilentLocations

Re: Welcome to John Bengtson- April 24th-28th

Post by SilentLocations »

Gagman 66 wrote:Mr. Bengtson,

:) Thanks again for your honest response. By the way, there is also a brand new book out on Colleen Moore by Jeff Codori that was a decade in the making.

:? Just a quick inquiry here. I was wondering if you had seen the Silent version of Lloyd's WELCOME DANGER? I know that Robert Israel composed a score for the film a few years ago that has been preformed at live venues. The early talkie is to say the least most disappointing. Somewhat painful to watch. Though still better than some Talkies of that transitional period. I have heard that the Silent version is far more enjoyable viewing. I have hoped that the Silent version might turn up on TCM eventually. So far that has not been the case. Anyway just curious if you had an opinion on the Silent version at all? Thanks again in advance.
Hi Gagman

I believe the silent version of WELCOME DANGER is available on the UK release of the Lloyd DVD set, but I do not have a copy, and have not seen it. WELCOME DANGER is certainly an odd film. If I recall it made more money than any other film, simply because of the novelty of Lloyd talking. Lloyd plays an unbelievably rude character, he is such a jerk, you have to wonder what were they thinking when making the film?

Cheers,
John
SilentLocations

kingme wrote:John,

Thanks for your Artist response ...

Any Chance of a sequel of the Artist ... any thoughts on that? ... I would love to see one in the next 2-3 years? ... I just love Silent Movies.
Wow, it had not occurred to me that one would make a sequel to The Artist. From an internal logic point of view, a sequel would have to take place during the 1930s, after talkies were fully established, so there would no longer be a rationale for the sequel to be silent.

I am hopeful, now that The Artist has broken the barrier, that on rare occasion some one will consider making another silent film now and then. I am certain that with the right story it could be another great success.

Cheers,
John
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks John,

For your generous thoughts ... here! ... I see where you are coming with an idea of the sequel of the Artist that sets in the 1930's after the talkies have started in the first place.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

John,

I don't know if you are familiar with them but Walt Disney's Alice comedies used various Los Angeles locations, especially around Silver Lake when Walt and Roy had a small studio on Kingswell.

The Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco has one of their galleries devoted to the Alice comedies and another one on Walt's earliest years in Hollywood.

When I watch classic films and see a glimpse in the background of a long-gone City of Angels landmark or locale, my heart jumps a bit (and I've been known to grab the arm of whoever is with me as MrCutter and Moraldo can both attest to). Places like the old Ralph's in Westwood Village, the old drive-in restaurants like Van de Kamp's, Tiny Naylor's, sit down places like Vickman's and Blair's, anything mid-century modern, Bunker Hill mansions, the Ambassador Hotel, old downtown department stores like Bullock's (not the Bullock's Wilshire), Robinson's, etc that were still in business when I arrived here ages ago, downtown ablaze at night with neon signs all make my City of Angels heart sing when I glimpse them in movies.

Are there any locales that you've seen that make your heart a little happier for the chance to see them on celluloid?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I wonder if we'd be any different over here regarding preservation of the old silent film location sites and I'm guessing that we wouldn't unless there was some other qualifying status. The old studios though,that's sad although too many have probably gone. Sometimes we have a tendency to destroy some of our most recent history, only to hanker after it years later, I'm sure this has probably happened time after time throughout history. As a big lover of history your books are a treasure trove.

I relate to what you say about how much you liked Buster Keaton as a teenager. Growing up in England I was brought up on a diet of Laurel and Hardy mostly and a little Charlie Chaplin and a little Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton didn't feature in my younger years. Laurel and Hardy I loved from being a small child, Chaplin I grew into quite sure that no one could match him in talent and films, in a way it was true because no one does what Chaplin does so well. When I first saw Keaton I realised that Keaton did it differently but he was just as enjoyable, just as skilled and as much of a craftsman. I'm not as well versed in Harold Lloyd, he doesn't translate as well to me personally but I do recognise that he is as innovative and as much as a craftsman as the other two. Then watching Laurel and Hardy again with my kids I see them through new eyes, marvelling on this partnership which was friendly with no rivallry, longlasting, so memorable and side splittingly funny. It was a very rich time indeed.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Mr. Bengston,

:? I was curious if you have any suggestions as to what to do to get the major studios to at least take a decent look at their Silents Library. There are so many great films that are held hostage by idiotic copyright extensions that should have ended decades ago. For instance, I find it terribly absurd that Warner's and Eastman House spent a ton of money on a restoration of King Vidor's THE BIG PARADE from the long lost original camera negatives over two years between 2002 and 2004 and we still have not seen the results on TCM , let alone DVD/Blu-ray. The highest grossing film of the 1920's and in my opinion one of the finest movies ever made deserves much better. Why did they restore the film if they were just going to stash it away for the better part of another decade? It's had a small handful of live screenings since late 2004, but that is about all. No additional exposure. It's a shame that this magnificent work has been allowed to fade into abject obscurity. While Warner's has released many Silent films through it's Archive label on DVD-R, several of the major MGM Silents that people have long been waiting for, remain elusive and frustratingly unavailable.

With WINGS rather unexpectedly being released on DVD and Blu-ray by Paramount a few months ago, I had hoped that THE BIG PARADE which is to me far superior to WINGS, would soon follow from Warner's, but I have seen no indication this is going to happen. Some people, thought that THE ARTIST having won best picture would result in at least a few other Silent releases from the major studios. To me it's ridiculous that a great film like BEAU GESTE (1926) has never had an official home video release. Even going back to the VHS days. When the watered down 1939 sound re-make has been released twice on DVD. WINGS has sold quite well, so perhaps it will influence Paramount to dig deeper into it's Silent Film holdings. Amazing films like A KISS FOR CINDERELLA, OLD IRONSIDES, BARBED WIRE etc, deserve strong consideration.

Sad to say that The Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection DVD's 7 disc Box -set that New-line released in the fall of 2005, went out of print in the states about a half a year ago. New-Line has since been absorbed into Warner Home Video. I'm gratified that TCM still has a contract with the Trust to run his films, because they are no longer available on DVD in the States. I believe they are still in print over in the U. K.on a different label. People have been speculating that they might reappear in Blu-ray, although I don't expect that to take place anytime soon. So rather disappointing. I'm glad I purchased the set when it first came out. Probably the best of it's kind ever produced devoted to the work of one Silent Star. I like to think that Harold is better known and respected now than he was some 10 to 15 years ago. Thank you for Championing the cause of the great Silent comedians and helping to bring so many historical matters to late about their art and movie-making.

:) Again, it's been a honor and a privilege having you take our questions these past four days. A most enlightening visit. Thank you.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Gagman 66 wrote:Mr. Bengston,

:) Again, it's been a honor and a privilege having you take our questions these past four days. A most enlightening visit. Thank you.
Gagman ... You are absolutely right ... my sediments exactly too! Thanks John!
SilentLocations

Lzcutter wrote:John,

I don't know if you are familiar with them but Walt Disney's Alice comedies used various Los Angeles locations, especially around Silver Lake when Walt and Roy had a small studio on Kingswell.

The Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco has one of their galleries devoted to the Alice comedies and another one on Walt's earliest years in Hollywood.

When I watch classic films and see a glimpse in the background of a long-gone City of Angels landmark or locale, my heart jumps a bit (and I've been known to grab the arm of whoever is with me as MrCutter and Moraldo can both attest to). Places like the old Ralph's in Westwood Village, the old drive-in restaurants like Van de Kamp's, Tiny Naylor's, sit down places like Vickman's and Blair's, anything mid-century modern, Bunker Hill mansions, the Ambassador Hotel, old downtown department stores like Bullock's (not the Bullock's Wilshire), Robinson's, etc that were still in business when I arrived here ages ago, downtown ablaze at night with neon signs all make my City of Angels heart sing when I glimpse them in movies.

Are there any locales that you've seen that make your heart a little happier for the chance to see them on celluloid?
There are many spots that make my heart jump a bit, perhaps the most for shots of the old Chinatown, that was demolished in 1932 to make way for Union Station that opened in 1939. Chaplin, Charley Chase, Stan Laurel, Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton, and so on, all filmed in the original Chinatown, built in the 1880s. (One initial clue for spotting a Chinatown setting - the streets were never paved.) Also jump worthy, shots near the Plaza de Los Angeles, adjacent to the old Chinatown. There were several streets and alleys, Sanchez, Aliso, and Arcadia, that were popular places to film, but no longer exist. So I always look for shots of these demolished streets. And Ducommun Street, now pretty much scraped clean, was where Keaton filmed many scenes from Cops and The Goat, and also where Chaplin filmed the rooftop chase in The Kid. Ducommun was south of the old Chinatown, and located just west of the large gas storage tanks. A really seedy and industrial place to live, but it has so much history, so I always look to see if it pops up in other films.

Anything that shows Court Hill, where the Bradbury Mansion was located (from which Harold Lloyd and Hal Roach worked for several years), and Bunker Hill, are also exciting to see. Court Hill was pretty much excavated flat, and no longer exists, and Bunker Hill is not much better. So I guess what excites me the most is any footage of a street or neighborhood that no longer exists, because the footage represents a rediscovered view of what has been lost to history. I know it is likely that for some settings the brief glimpses identified on film represent the only photographic record that remains for such settings. So it is always especially exciting when I can determine that a silent film setting represents a street that no longer exists.

Cheers,
John
SilentLocations

Gagman 66 wrote:Mr. Bengtson,

:? I was curious if you have any suggestions as to what to do to get the major studios to at least take a decent look at their Silents Library. There are so many great films that are held hostage by idiotic copyright extensions that should have ended decades ago. For instance, I find it terribly absurd that Warner's and Eastman House spent a ton of money on a restoration of King Vidor's THE BIG PARADE from the long lost original camera negatives over two years between 2002 and 2004 and we still have not seen the results on TCM , let alone DVD/Blu-ray. The highest grossing film of the 1920's and in my opinion one of the finest movies ever made deserves much better. Why did they restore the film if they were just going to stash it away for the better part of another decade? It's had a small handful of live screenings since late 2004, but that is about all. No additional exposure. It's a shame that this magnificent work has been allowed to fade into abject obscurity. While Warner's has released many Silent films through it's Archive label on DVD-R, several of the major MGM Silents that people have long been waiting for, remain elusive and frustratingly unavailable.

With WINGS rather unexpectedly being released on DVD and Blu-ray by Paramount a few months ago, I had hoped that THE BIG PARADE which is to me far superior to WINGS, would soon follow from Warner's, but I have seen no indication this is going to happen. Some people, thought that THE ARTIST having won best picture would result in at least a few other Silent releases from the major studios. To me it's ridiculous that a great film like BEAU GESTE (1926) has never had an official home video release. Even going back to the VHS days. When the watered down 1939 sound re-make has been released twice on DVD. WINGS has sold quite well, so perhaps it will influence Paramount to dig deeper into it's Silent Film holdings. Amazing films like A KISS FOR CINDERELLA, OLD IRONSIDES, BARBED WIRE etc, deserve strong consideration.

Sad to say that The Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection DVD's 7 disc Box -set that New-line released in the fall of 2005, went out of print in the states about a half a year ago. New-Line has since been absorbed into Warner Home Video. I'm gratified that TCM still has a contract with the Trust to run his films, because they are no longer available on DVD in the States. I believe they are still in print over in the U. K.on a different label. People have been speculating that they might reappear in Blu-ray, although I don't expect that to take place anytime soon. So rather disappointing. I'm glad I purchased the set when it first came out. Probably the best of it's kind ever produced devoted to the work of one Silent Star. I like to think that Harold is better known and respected now than he was some 10 to 15 years ago. Thank you for Championing the cause of the great Silent comedians and helping to bring so many historical matters to late about their art and movie-making.

Thank you Gagman

I'm afraid I don't have any magic answer that would make the studios be more willing to put out more silent titles. I am hoping that the Warner Bros. model, where they burn a DVD of a movie on demand, after you place your order, will catch on, as that seems a great way to avoid the risk of being stuck with a large inventory of unsold goods.

I too am disappointed that the Lloyd set is out of print. There are several extant Lloyd shorts that have not been released, and I was hoping to see them all someday on DVD. I would love to see the Lloyd set reissued on Blu-ray. I have really been enjoying my Keaton films on Blu-ray. There are so many more details that pop, and it has been great for helping to solve more locations discoveries.

Cheers,
John
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Hi John -

Firstly, I wanted to say your blog postings about the locations in THE ARTIST (which I found on another message board) really added to my enjoyment of that film! I had viewed the film once, and had only recognized the Cicada Club from photo's posted on their web site (hope to visit there sometime when I'm in LA) and then found your blog postings and marveled at all the historical places used in the film, especially The Bradbury office building!Saw the film 2 more times, and looked for all the spots you had located.

So, I am curious though; you reside and work in the SF bay area, but most of your investigative work is for Los Angeles as that is where your favorite silent comedies were filmed? I see in your earlier posts that you scan through films sometimes just looking for locations - what about San Francisco? Any interest in locations there? For example, Lon Chaney's THE PENALTY has a whole sequence which appears to be filmed on location in downtown SF. And do you also search early talkies for locations? I also got a real kick out of watching DOUBLE HARNESS (1933) as it has William Powell and Ann Harding riding around the streets of San Francisco with many landmark buildings in the background. I guess my heart is in San Francisco more than Los Angeles :)
SilentLocations

Jezebel38 wrote:Hi John -

Firstly, I wanted to say your blog postings about the locations in THE ARTIST (which I found on another message board) really added to my enjoyment of that film! I had viewed the film once, and had only recognized the Cicada Club from photo's posted on their web site (hope to visit there sometime when I'm in LA) and then found your blog postings and marveled at all the historical places used in the film, especially The Bradbury office building!Saw the film 2 more times, and looked for all the spots you had located.

So, I am curious though; you reside and work in the SF bay area, but most of your investigative work is for Los Angeles as that is where your favorite silent comedies were filmed? I see in your earlier posts that you scan through films sometimes just looking for locations - what about San Francisco? Any interest in locations there? For example, Lon Chaney's THE PENALTY has a whole sequence which appears to be filmed on location in downtown SF. And do you also search early talkies for locations? I also got a real kick out of watching DOUBLE HARNESS (1933) as it has William Powell and Ann Harding riding around the streets of San Francisco with many landmark buildings in the background. I guess my heart is in San Francisco more than Los Angeles :)
Hi Jezebel - thanks, I'm glad the blog added to your enjoyment.

I had not planned to do anything about The Artist, but when I read somewhere that they had filmed at the home on Fremont Place where Mary Pickford once lived (which I knew to be across the street from where Chaplin filmed The Kid), that got me looking. Once I looked more closely, I began to realize there were all of these legitimate connections to the silent film era locations. And then by chance I had visited the Warner Bros. backlot last summer, and took a few photos that turned out to include where they filmed scenes from The Artist as well.

One challenge posting about The Artist was grabbing frame captures. I guess there are DVD copies floating out there in the hands of AMPAS and DGA members, etc., so that they can see the film before casting votes, but I had to work off of shots from the official trailers posted on YouTube. I hope to be able to find a few more discoveries once it is released on home video.

When asked why he robbed banks, Willie Sutton said because "that's where they keep the money." That is pretty much the same response for me regarding film locations, most were filmed in Hollywood, so that is where I focused my work. I'm glad that Chaplin, Keaton, and Lloyd also filmed away from SoCal, as it broadens the appeal of the books, and gave me other fun places to investigate. I am very pleased with how my study of Harold Lloyd filming Speedy in New York turned out - it is almost a book unto itself, and shows how Lloyd filmed all across Manhattan and Brooklyn, with a good study of Coney Island too.

The topic of film locations is so open-ended - theoretically spanning more than 100 years, and the entire globe, that it really helps to have some outside limits. For me it worked out that my limits where (A) choosing one of the "three" comedians, and (B) focusing on their silent work. Without these limits I might have never completed a book. Sticking to silent films also makes a natural demarcation point, as exterior filming dropped dramatically with the talkies anyway. For Keaton it was also a matter of practicality. His talkie shorts were unavailable to me when I did the book, and attempting license rights to do all of the MGM films would have made the book impossibly expensive. I was given a huge discount on the normal license fees in order to include The Cameraman in my book, which I gratefully paid, because it was very important to me to include it in the book, and but it was disproportionately expensive compared to everything else.

I am naturally interested in San Francisco locations, and have studied The Penalty, and the Rudolph Valentino film Moran of the Lady Letty. As I explain in my books, Chaplin and Keaton both filmed many scenes in San Francisco, even just a few blocks apart. I was not aware of Double Harness - is it out on video? Netflix does not seem to include it. My publisher Santa Monica Press has another location book Footsteps in the Fog, that deals with the NoCal and SF locations appearing in the various Hitchcock films.

Cheers,
John
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

John,

As your time with us is winding down, I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for spending the last couple of days with us and taking the time to answer our questions!

Should you want to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum please drop me a PM and I'll take care of the rest!

I've got a question for you:

Did they have any trouble shooting at the various locations? In the days before the film office and location permits, could they shoot on the streets and such without any interference from the police or did they work with authorities?

Again, thank you so much for joining us. We've really enjoyed learning from you!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

SilentLocations

Lzcutter wrote:John,

As your time with us is winding down, I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for spending the last couple of days with us and taking the time to answer our questions!

Should you want to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum please drop me a PM and I'll take care of the rest!

I've got a question for you:

Did they have any trouble shooting at the various locations? In the days before the film office and location permits, could they shoot on the streets and such without any interference from the police or did they work with authorities?

Again, thank you so much for joining us. We've really enjoyed learning from you!
Hi Lynn - thank you so much for inviting me, it was an honor and a lot of fun. I enjoyed the questions, and typing out the answers often gave me a fresh sense of things I had not thought of for a long time.

My conclusions and insights about location work are all inductive, starting with the specific locations, and using them to reach general conclusions about where and how the filmmakers worked. As such, I do not know specific details about when and how permits were first required, or the difficulties crews had day to day when filming. The focus of my books has been to use the images in the background of these classic films as a window to the past. To unlock the wealth of information that has been hiding in plain sight in the background all of these years, so that we gain both a better understanding about how the movies were made, but also a better understanding of what Hollywood and LA really looked like at the time. Every scene shot on location not only helps to tell the narrative of the movie in which it appears, but also documents a momentary slice of history. As with the tiles of a mosaic, these hundreds of individual shooting locations can be assembled into a broad and unique view of early Hollywood.

Thanks again,
John
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

John:

Thank you so much. It was a joy to have you visit with us. Your comments were interesting and very informative. You are always welcome here as you are also a member.

If you think of it in the future please let us know of new things coming. I know I'll visit your website and find new things to learn.

Good luck. I hope to see you here again.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

John, I didn't ask any questions, but I so enjoyed reading all the others, and your great responses..Thanks so much for being here!