Welcome to Denny Miller, Our Guest Star for July 27-29!

Past chats with our guests.
Denny Miller

Re: Welcome to Denny Miller, Our Guest Star for July 27-29!

Post by Denny Miller »

Christy I think I've answered all the questions. Let me know if I missed any. Denny
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

You know me Sue Sue, better late than never.

Denny, I saw you on another show where you picked up a huge sledge hammer which you supposedly tipped until it touched your nose. How did they film that?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Denny, this has been one of the most marvelous Guest Star visits we have ever had. I can't tell you how wonderful all these stories are. We all feel very privileged to have had you visit us!

And, yes, I think you have answered almost all the questions. And more so! What a treasure trove of memories.

You have been so kind and generous with us.

Please come back and visit us when you have time, and let us know about your upcoming engagements, and your next book!

Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
Christy
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
clore

Post by clore »

The reason that I recall the HOUSE CALLS role was because the friend I was helping saw you out of the corner of her eye and said "I could almost swear that I just saw Clint Eastwood."

I only saw you on screen briefly, but said right away "No, that's Denny Miller from WAGON TRAIN."

She said "Whoever he is, he's a hunk."
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Excellent observation about House Calls, clore! Thanks!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I remember the "Lijah" episode of Gunsmoke very well!! It's unforgettable. Thank you so much for being with us, Denny!!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks for being so gracious and answering all our questions with such humor! I really enjoyed your visit. I hope you can come back and chat sometime, just for fun. It's been a great pleasure. Your stories really made me chuckle! :D :D :D
Denny Miller

Post by Denny Miller »

CineMaven, When I joined the Screen Actors Guild there were a few over 8,000 members. Now there are over 120,000 not counting the AFTRA members we just merged with. I never want to dim anyone's dream. To make a living in any of the arts in our society is difficult. Don't let that stop you from going after your dream. I remember a quote from the German philosopher Goethe "Whatever you can do or dream, you can begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."

The Hollywood of today is dreamed about by more artists than ever before. If a misplaced basketball player like me can make a living doing what he has come to love, anyone can. I mean that!

The new technology is mind boggling. I have an actor friend who has 4 life-size likenesses of himself in glass casses in a museum. They are holograms of him. He is not there, but then he is. That's one direction acting is taking. An actor is just a part of a story being told by a group of actors led by a director. The words, the thoughts are those of a writer or writers.

I have heard acting described like this: Think of a tree. The trunk is the director. The limbs are the actors and the sap,the tree's lifeblood, is the writer. The flowers and leaves are the result of all these people growing together. Acting is a team sport. Don't let anyone or anything spoil your dream. And remember that it's OK to borrow ideas from other actors - from anyone to help you tell the story. Christy, this has been fun. We have a full schedule right now for months ahead. Thanks again. You know actors perform with no audience. The director watches. The cameraman watches. But everyone else has their job to do on stage. So when I get attention from a group like yours, 40 or 50 years after a performance, I consider that "delayed applause." Thank you! It feels great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Denny Miller

Post by Denny Miller »

Sue Sue, this response is for Anne.

Sometimes it is what you don't see that provides the magic in the story. Sometimes it's what you think you see and really don't that proves to be great story telling. In this case it's a little bit of both. I tried, off stage, to touch my nose with a 16 pound sledge hammer. I wasn't even close to being strong enough. Then I tried a 12-pound hammer. Got a little closer to my nose with that one, but still not strong enough. Then the prop department handed me a hammer that appeared to be the size of the 16 pounder, it but weighed about 2 pounds. It was made of balsa wood. It turned out they were playing a joke on me with the 2 real hammers. A TV play , any play is a team sport and should be fun.

Sometimes the actor has to prepare in other ways. On THE INCREDIBLE HULK, I played the role of a paraplegic. I went to a hospital and borrowed a wheel chair. I lived in that wheel chair for a week before we started to film the show. I learned all the movements I couldn't do if I had no feeling in my legs. The audience would never be aware that I could walk out of that chair when the director called CUT.

Thanks again, and stay healthy!

Denny Miller