Q & A for Dana Andrews' Biographer, Carl Rollyson

Past chats with our guests.
Carl_Rollyson

Re: Q & A for Dana Andrews' Biographer

Post by Carl_Rollyson »

clore wrote:Mr. Rollyson, thank you for your earlier response.

I noted with interest your comment that Dana Andrews would have loved to have gotten just about any role at Fox that had gone to Gregory Peck. I guess that despite his track record, with Peck's emergence and Tyrone Power and Victor Mature back from the war, Fox was a bit top-heavy with leading men. Dana, along with John Payne seemed to get the second-rung parts.

But it was the bit about "12 O'Clock High" that prompts this question - did Dana Andrews ever make any comment about how many times he portrayed a pilot, did he have any interest in aviation off the set? The role of Frank Savage would have cast him once again in the cockpit.

In Best Years of Our Lives, Zero Hour, The Crowded Sky, Airport '75 he plays a pilot, with the latter two having Dana and Efrem Zimbalist taking turns at crashing into each other. He's probably played a pilot as often as Gable played a reporter. He's even in a film with Cliff Robertson, The Pilot, where Cliff plays an alcoholic pilot, a film that I've never managed to see. It played in NYC for about a week.

Again, thank you for your time.
I DON'T RECALL DANA EVER MENTIONING HOW MANY TIMES HE PLAYED PILOTS. HE'S A BOMBADIER IN BEST YEARS--BUT THAT'S CLOSE ENOUGH. CLIFF ROBERTSON'S FILM IS VERY GOOD. DANA HAS A SMALL ROLE. TWENTY YEARS EARLIER HE WOULD HAVE PLAYED ROBERTSON'S PART. BUT THAT TAKES NOTHING AWAY FROM ROBERTSON'S GREAT PERFORMANCE.
[b][url]http://www.carlrollyson.com/[/url][/b]
[url=http://www.carlrollyson.com/_i__hollywood_enigma__dana_andrews__i__115928.htm][b]Author of Hollywood Enigma: Dana Andrews (Univ. Press of Mississippi)[/b][/url]
Carl_Rollyson

Post by Carl_Rollyson »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:Thank you for spending time with us, Mr. Rollyson!

Although it's not my favorite genre, I've found myself fascinated with Curse/Night of the Demon and have always been interested in how Dana Andrews became involved with this project. I now assume it was through his friendship with Jacques Tourneur. Do you know if Mr. Andrews had an affinity for this movie? Have you any interesting background on his work in this compelling flick?
YES, DANA WANTED TO DO CURSE OF THE DEMON BECAUSE HIS FRIEND JACQUES TOURNEUR DIRECTED IT. I WRITE A GOOD DEAL ABOUT THIS FILM IN MY BOOK. DANA WAS DRINKING HEAVILY THEN, AND IT IS ONE OF THE FEW TIMES HIS DRINKING INTERFERED WITH PRODUCTION. HE HATED THE PRODUCER, WHO JUST DIED BY THE WAY. DANA LIKED TOURNEUR'S IDEA TO NEVER QUITE SHOW THE DEMON, AND HAL CHESTER, THE PRODUCER, INSISTED ON A RATHER CHEESY LOOK SPECIAL EFFECT. I INTERVIEWED DANA'S CO-STAR. SHE WAS VERY FOND OF HIM AND THOUGHT HE WAS A GREAT ACTOR.
[url=http://www.carlrollyson.com/_i__hollywood_enigma__dana_andrews__i__115928.htm][b]Author of Hollywood Enigma: Dana Andrews (Univ. Press of Mississippi)[/b][/url]
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Mr. Rollyson, welcome to the Silver Screen Oasis. It a pleasure to have you with us.
How was the relationship between Dana and his movie star brother Steve Forrest?
Did Dana have a favorite movie role?
Thank you
Joseph Goodheart
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Questions about his Career - Dana Andrews ...

1) How did Dana managed to get the role of General George C. Marshall in the IKE The War Years? (TV Mini-Series that came out in 1979) I enjoyed it so much! ... Was he was the 1st Choice?

2) Did he enjoyed his role as Colonel Pritchard in the Battle of the Bulge back in 1965; he and Henry Fonda sure worked so well together! The way the worked together ... Were they good friends?

3) What was his favorite movie role from 1940 to 1958 ... he did quite a few movies and my favorite was Laura when he played Detective Lt. Mark McPherson.

That's all ... and many thanks!
Carl_Rollyson

Post by Carl_Rollyson »

mongoII wrote:Mr. Rollyson, welcome to the Silver Screen Oasis. It a pleasure to have you with us.
Thank you
DANA AND HIS BROTHER STEVE WERE CLOSE. THE OFTEN SAILED TOGETHER. STEVE WROTE AN ARTICLE ABOUT HIS BROTHER THAT I FOUND VERY HELPFUL IN WRITING MY BIOGRAPHY.

DANA NEVER MENTIONED A FAVORITE MOVIE ROLE, ALTHOUGH HE OFTEN CITED HIS WORK IN THE OX-BOW INCIDENT AS ONE OF THE HIGHLIGHTS OF HIS CAREER.
Carl_Rollyson

Post by Carl_Rollyson »

kingme wrote:Questions about his Career - Dana Andrews ...

1) How did Dana managed to get the role of General George C. Marshall in the IKE The War Years? (TV Mini-Series that came out in 1979) I enjoyed it so much! ... Was he was the 1st Choice?
DANA PLAYED LOTS OF MILITARY MEN AND DIGNATARIES IN THE LAST STAGES OF HIS CAREER. I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE THAT HE WAS THE FIRST CHOICE FOR MARSHALL, BUT THAT IS PROBABLY THE CASE.
2) Did he enjoyed his role as Colonel Pritchard in the Battle of the Bulge back in 1965; he and Henry Fonda sure worked so well together! The way the worked together ... Were they good friends?
DANA AND HENRY FONDA LIKED AND RESPECTED ONE ANOTHER. BUT I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT DANA WAS NOT IN VERY GOOD SHAPE DURING THE PRODUCTION OF THAT FILM. THIS WAS DURING THE PERIOD HE WAS STILL DRINKING.
3) What was his favorite movie role from 1940 to 1958 ... he did quite a few movies and my favorite was Laura when he played Detective Lt. Mark McPherson.
ALTHOUGH I'VE SAID THAT DANA DID NOT HAVE A FAVORITE ROLE, THE MORE I THINK ABOUT IT I THINK HIS PART AS DANIEL MARTIN WHO IS UNJUSTLY LYNCHED IN THE OX-BOW INCIDENT WAS IMPORTANT TO DANA. HE WAS QUITE PROUD OF BEING IN THAT PICTURE.
That's all ... and many thanks!
Carl_Rollyson

Post by Carl_Rollyson »

mongoII wrote:Mr. Rollyson, welcome to the Silver Screen Oasis. It a pleasure to have you with us.
Thank you
DANA AND STEVE WERE QUITE DIFFERENT PERSONALITIES. BY THE TIME STEVE WAS GROWING UP, DANA HAD ALREADY LEFT HOME FOR CALIFORNIA. DURING THE WAR YEARS, DANA WAS BUSY MAKING MOVIES WHILE STEVE WAS JUST OLD ENOUGH TO FIND HIMSELF IN THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE. DANA WROTE LONG LETTERS TO STEVE AND WELCOMED HIM TO CALIFORNIA. BUT IT'S FAIR TO SAY THAT STEVE MADE IT ON HIS OWN, AS HE WOULD HAVE TO, SINCE DANA WAS NOT A PRODUCER OR DIRECTOR AND HAD LIMITED OPPORTUNITIES TO ADVANCE STEVE'S CAREER. BUT THEY BECAME CLOSE. WHEN DANA CHOSE TO MAKE PUBLIC HIS STRUGGLE WITH ALCOHOLISM, AND THEN COMMENT ON THE DEATH OF BILL HOLDEN, ANOTHER ALCOHOLIC, STEVE DISAPPROVED, BELIEVING DANA HAD REVEALED SOMETHING PRIVATE. DANA FELT JUST THE OPPOSITE. HE FELT AN OBLIGATION TO BE OPEN AND HONEST. HE WAS SURE HOLDEN'S DEATH HAD BEEN HASTENED BY HIS DRINKING. AND OF COURSE DANA WAS RIGHT ABOUT THAT. AND DANA REALIZED HE, TOO, COULD HAVE GONE THE SAME WAY. DANA QUITE DRINKING IN 1969 AND NEVER DRANK AGAIN. HE DIED IN 1992.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You mention that Dana came out publicly to talk about drinking and how it killed William Holden.

Did he know Holden? Tell me more about his public fight against alcoholism. Did he feel that he was successful in reaching people this way? I certainly hope so. Were there others in his family who had trouble with drink? Usually there are indicators in a family. Was this why his father was so adamant about prohibiting alcohol? I am so glad that your book ends on a positive note for Dana.
Carl_Rollyson

Post by Carl_Rollyson »

JackFavell wrote:You mention that Dana came out publicly to talk about drinking and how it killed William Holden.

Did he know Holden? Tell me more about his public fight against alcoholism. Did he feel that he was successful in reaching people this way? I certainly hope so. Were there others in his family who had trouble with drink? Usually there are indicators in a family. Was this why his father was so adamant about prohibiting alcohol? I am so glad that your book ends on a positive note for Dana.
DANA ANDREWS KNEW BILL HOLDEN VERY WELL. THEY SERVED TOGETHER ON THE BOARD OF THE SCREEN ACTORS GUILD WITH RONALD REAGAN, WHOM DANA ALSO KNEW QUITE WELL. DANA LIKED TO TELL THE STORY ABOUT GOING TO A RESTAURANT WITH REAGAN AND HOLDEN. THE WAITER APPROACHED AND ASKED THEM WHAT THEY WANTED TO DRINK. THEY ALL ORDERED DRINKS. WHEN THE WAITER CAME BACK AND ASKED IF THEY WANTED ANOTHER ROUND, DANA AND HOLDEN SAID YES, AND REAGAN SAID NO. AFTER THE WAITER LEFT, REAGAN TURNED TO THEM AND SAID, "WHY WOULD YOU WANT ANOTHER DRINK?" TO DANA THAT WAS THE DIVIDING LINE BETWEEN THE SOCIAL DRINKER AND THE ALCOHOLIC.

SURPRISINGLY, I COULD FIND NO HISTORY OF DRINKING IN THE ANDREWS FAMILY, ALTHOUGH DANA'S BROTHER CHARLES WAS QUITE A DRINKER TOO. DANA'S FATHER WAS ANTI-DRINK MAINLY BECAUSE HE SAW WHAT IT DID TO FAMILIES AND COMMUNITIES.

I DON'T KNOW HOW SUCCESSFUL DANA THOUGHT HE WAS, BUT I CAN TELL YOU HE WAS PERSISTENT! HE WENT AT IT JUST LIKE HE DID HIS ACTING CAREER.

THE DANA ANDREWS/WILLIAM HOLDEN STORY IS FASCINATING. DANA'S GREAT DECADE WAS THE 1940S. HOLDEN, ALTHOUGH HE GOT HIS START WITH GOLDEN BOY, SPENT MOST OF THE 1940S IN FILMS THAT WENT NOWHERE. THEN BILLY WILDER RESCUED HIM WITH SUNSET BOULEVARD AND HOLDEN BECAME A BIG, BIG STAR JUST AS DANA'S CAREER WAS DECLINING AS A LEADING MAN. BOTH MEN WERE DRINKING QUITE HEAVILY IN THE 1950S, AND YET HOLDEN'S DRINKING DID NOT HURT HIS CAREER, DANA'S DRINKING DID.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thank you so much for responding to all of my questions so nicely. I really appreciate it. I am a great fan of Dana's and his real life is such a mystery!

Why do you suppose the drinking hurt Dana's career and not Holden's?
Carl_Rollyson

Post by Carl_Rollyson »

JackFavell wrote:Thank you so much for responding to all of my questions so nicely. I really appreciate it. I am a great fan of Dana's and his real life is such a mystery!

Why do you suppose the drinking hurt Dana's career and not Holden's?
Holden was almost ten years younger that Dana. That meant he could still play fairly young men in films like Picnic (although some critics already said Holden looked a little old for the part). Styles in leading men change, and Holden's rugged good looks were very appealing in the 1950s. Also Billy Wilder stuck by Holden, and that was important. What Dana needed in the 1950s was Billy Wilder, or better yet, Alfred Hitchcock, whose major films in the 1950s extended the careers of Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant. Or if William Wyler had used Dana again, that would have made a difference. But Wyler had trouble with Dana's drinking on The Best Years of Our Lives, and the director never used Dana again. Finally, Dana went to parties and sometimes got drunk and insulted producers. That isn't the best way to go about extending your career!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Carl,
Thanks for joining us for another day. Your detailed answers are a pleasure to read. You mentioned earlier that you had your own theory as to the source of Dana's drinking problem. Could you please elaborate on that?

Do you think it may have been tied to the uncertainty of the acting profession?

How did Dana deal with the inevitable intrusion of fame on his everyday life?

One of the individuals who appears to have had the greatest influence on Andrews throughout his adult life was his wife, Mary. What was it about her that enabled her to live through the harder times in their marriage?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Carl_Rollyson

Post by Carl_Rollyson »

moirafinnie wrote:Hi Carl,
Thanks for joining us for another day. Your detailed answers are a pleasure to read. You mentioned earlier that you had your own theory as to the source of Dana's drinking problem. Could you please elaborate on that?
DANA SAID HE DID NOT DRINK BECAUSE HE WAS UNHAPPY. IN FACT, HE THOUGHT HIS LIFE WAS A HORATIO ALGER STORY. BUT HE DISLIKED THE PRESSURES OF HOLLYWOOD, THE POLITICKING, AND I THINK HE DRANK TO RELAX. MANY PEOPLE DO. BUT I THINK THERE WAS SOME KIND OF CHEMICAL IMBALANCE OR PREDISPOSITION FOR HIM TO CONTINUE DRINKING AFTER THAT FIRST DRINK. HE NEVER GOT MEAN. HE JUST GOT FRIENDLY AND THEN SLOPPY. FOR A LONG TIME IT WAS AN ADDICTION THAT HE THOUGHT HE COULD CONTROL (LOTS OF ALCOHOLICS THINK SO). BUT BY THE 1950S HE REALIZED HE NEEDED HELP AND BEGAN SEEKING IT IN AA AND IN OTHER THERAPY PROGRAMS. NOTHING WORKED--OR RATHER IT WORKED FOR A WHILE, ESPECIALLY FROM 1958 TO 1964. THEN HIS SON DIED AND HE BEGAN DRINKING AGAIN. HE ONLY QUIT FOR GOOD WHEN MARY THREATENED TO LEAVE HIM. I'LL SAY MORE ABOUT HER IN MY ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION BELOW.
Do you think it may have been tied to the uncertainty of the acting profession?
THE UNCERTAINTY OF THE ACTING PROFESSION SURELY CONTRIBUTED TO DANA'S DRINKING. YOU KNOW THE OLD CLICHE IN HOLLYWOOD: YOU ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR LAST PICTURE. HE ALSO ATTRIBUTED HIS DECLINE TO THE DECLINE OF THE STUDIO SYSTEM. WHATEVER ITS FAILINGS IT DID PROVIDE HIM WITH STAR VEHICLES AND WITH A DISTRIBUTION CHAIN OF THEATERS. AFTER THE EARLY 1950S HE WAS ON HIS OWN. HE
REMAINED EMPLOYABLE AND NEVER STOPPED WORKING, ALTHOUGH HE DID TAKE ON SOME DUBIOUS ROLES.
How did Dana deal with the inevitable intrusion of fame on his everyday life?
DANA REFUSED TO BRING UP HIS CHILDREN AS HOLLYWOOD BRATS. HE LIVED A QUIET LIFE AT HOME AND ENJOYED THE COMPANY OF A FEW FRIENDS. HE WAS ALWAYS CORDIAL WHEN APPROACHED FOR AN AUTOGRAPH. BUT HE DID AVOIDED THE KIND OF PUBLICITY THAT WOULD INTRUDE ON HIS FAMILY LIFE. IN FACT, THE MOVIE MAGAZINES ALWAYS MARVELED AT HOW MUCH OF A FAMILY MAN HE WAS, AND THAT WAS THE STORY THEY WOULD TELL.
One of the individuals who appears to have had the greatest influence on Andrews throughout his adult life was his wife, Mary. What was it about her that enabled her to live through the harder times in their marriage?
MARY BELIEVED DANA WAS A GREAT ACTOR. SHE LOVED HIM AND HE LOVED HER. NEITHER ONE EVER SERIOUSLY CONSIDERED ANOTHER PARTNER. MARY, WHEN DANA MET HER, WAS FAR MORE SOPHISTICATED AND EVEN CONSIDERED HIM A BIT SQUARE. SHE HAD A GRASP OF THEATER HISTORY THAT HE DID NOT HAVE. SHE WAS A SUPERB CRITIC AND ALWAYS TOLD HIM THE TRUTH ABOUT HIS PERFORMANCES. HE KNEW HE COULD RELY ON HER FOR THE TRUTH AND FOR HER SUPPORT, ALWAYS. SHE ALSO HAD A FANTASTIC SENSE OF HUMOR. SHE WAS ONE OF THE GREAT RACONTEURS OF HOLLYWOOD. SHE WAS MORE ARTICULATE THAN DANA. WHEN THEY ARE INTERVIEWED TOGETHER SHE IS OFTEN THE ONE WHO HAS THE GREATER INSIGHTS. SHE ALSO HAD GREAT TALENT. SHE COULD EASILY HAVE BEEN A STAR ON THE LEVEL OF SAY, MAUREEN STAPLETON. SHE GAVE THAT UP TO BE A WIFE AND MOTHER, ALTHOUGH SHE CONTINUED TO PERFORM SPORADICALLY, AND IN THE 1970S JOINED DANA ON THE DINNER THEATER CIRCUIT. HE WOULD SAY, "IT IS MARY'S TURN. I'M JUST HER SUPPORTING PLAYER." AND HE MEANT IT. THE GREAT THING ABOUT DANA ANDREWS'S LIFE IS THAT IT ENDED SO WELL. TRUE, HE SUFFERED FROM DEMENTIA, BUT HE REMAINED A VERY HAPPY MAN. WHEN HIS DAUGHTER SUSAN VISITED HIM IN THE JOHN PHILIP FRENCH CENTER (HE HAD LOST MOST OF HIS MEMORY) HE POINTED TO HIS DOOR (IT HAD A STAR ON IT) AND HE GRINNED. IT IS SOMETIMES SAID HE HAD ALZHEIMER'S. NOT TRUE. UNLIKE ALZHEIMER'S PATIENTS, HE DID NOT DETERIORATE PHYSICALLY. HE ALWAYS LOOKED LIKE THE DANA ANDREWS EVEN WHEN HE COULD NOT REMEMBER THAT THAT WAS WHO HE WAS.
Maricatrin

Post by Maricatrin »

Really enjoying hearing about his family life, he and Mary were so fortunate to have found each other.
Carl_Rollyson wrote:IT IS SOMETIMES SAID HE HAD ALZHEIMER'S. NOT TRUE. UNLIKE ALZHEIMER'S PATIENTS, HE DID NOT DETERIORATE PHYSICALLY. HE ALWAYS LOOKED LIKE THE DANA ANDREWS EVEN WHEN HE COULD NOT REMEMBER THAT THAT WAS WHO HE WAS.
I'm really glad to hear he did not have Alzheimer's -- no doubt there are worse ways to die, but in my mind nothing is worse than Alzheimer's. Thanks for clearing that fact up.
Carl_Rollyson wrote:
Moraldo Rubini wrote:Thank you for spending time with us, Mr. Rollyson!

Although it's not my favorite genre, I've found myself fascinated with Curse/Night of the Demon and have always been interested in how Dana Andrews became involved with this project. I now assume it was through his friendship with Jacques Tourneur. Do you know if Mr. Andrews had an affinity for this movie? Have you any interesting background on his work in this compelling flick?
YES, DANA WANTED TO DO CURSE OF THE DEMON BECAUSE HIS FRIEND JACQUES TOURNEUR DIRECTED IT. I WRITE A GOOD DEAL ABOUT THIS FILM IN MY BOOK. DANA WAS DRINKING HEAVILY THEN, AND IT IS ONE OF THE FEW TIMES HIS DRINKING INTERFERED WITH PRODUCTION. HE HATED THE PRODUCER, WHO JUST DIED BY THE WAY. DANA LIKED TOURNEUR'S IDEA TO NEVER QUITE SHOW THE DEMON, AND HAL CHESTER, THE PRODUCER, INSISTED ON A RATHER CHEESY LOOK SPECIAL EFFECT. I INTERVIEWED DANA'S CO-STAR. SHE WAS VERY FOND OF HIM AND THOUGHT HE WAS A GREAT ACTOR.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but it's my impression that Tourneur's reluctance to show the demon was simply because he was afraid the special effects would look silly, not because of any question as to whether or not there is a demon in the story? (after all, the author of the tale on which Night of the Demon is based never shied away from depicting the supernatural, and was no great fan of the ambiguous ghost story.)

I could have done without the closeups, which look a little too concrete for a supernatural being, but the long shots are in my opinion, quite well done, looking something like one of Tolkien's Balrogs: "What it was could not be seen: it was like a great shadow, in the middle of which was a dark form, of man-shape maybe, yet greater; and a power and terror seemed to be in it and go before it..."

I think when it comes to special effects depicting the supernatural, less is more. The Uninvited (1944) comes to mind as a perfect example.

Hal Chester was the producer in question? I seem to remember reading how he, Tourneur, and Andrews got into a battle regarding wind fans as well ...
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaricatrinsMusicVideos
Carl_Rollyson

Post by Carl_Rollyson »

More was involved in Curse of the Demon than just arguing about whether a special effect would look cheesy. Tourneur wanted to portray a certain ambiguity about the supernatural. In order to do so, he had to leave the question open: Is there really a demon, or not? He didn't want to resolve the issue. Showing the demon DESTROYS the director's conception of the film. Tourneur and Dana were very angry about the appearance of the demon because they shared the same vision of the film. They had all sorts of battles with Hal Chester, the producer. A whole book, by the way, has been published about Curse of the Demon.