Scott Allen Nollen on Three Bad Men:John Ford, John Wayne, & Ward Bond

Past chats with our guests.
JackFavell

Re: The Q & A for Scott Allen Nollen on Sat. 2/8 & Sun. 2/9

Post by JackFavell »

It may be wrong of me to ask about those stills of Grace Cunard and Francis Ford, but I can't let the opportunity go by without mentioning that I'd give up a body part to get a look at them! I hope you don't think me forward for asking to see those photos and I will certainly understand if you don't wish to post them. Maybe you used them in a book already, or you plan on publishing them at some other time? Did I already say I'd love to see them? :D

Grace Cunard is a very interesting person in her own right, I believe she and Francis worked together creating, brainstorming, writing and producing her serials, which ran the gamut from detective stories to supernatural ones. I just wish I knew more about both of them. I have looked up everything I can on Francis Ford and Grace Cunard, but the pickins' are mighty slim.

May I just say I love Moira's question about Ford's painting and his ability to create the feeling of certain artists on film. I've long thought that he uses all sorts of artistic influences in his work, from colonial paintings in Drums Along the Mohawk to the romantic painters like Constable and Turner in Wagon Master.

I have one more question, about The Wings of Eagles. I haven't seen it for a while, so bear with me if I've got it wrong. There's a scene in the film in someone's office or home, it might have been the Ward Bond character. There is military and western memorabilia decorating the place. It struck me forcibly when I watched the film that the description of John Ford's office that I had just read about in a book was EXACTLY like it. Did Ford re-create his own home or office in the film?
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Scott,

I just ordered this book from a dear friend of mine that works with AMAZON.COM and she will be picking up a copy for me in a week from now and I'm eager to read it. I just wanted to say thanks for joining us this weekend and I'm afraid that I'm out of questions.

Thanks for joining us!
charlestranberg

Post by charlestranberg »

Hello! and welcome and thanks for all the great replies. Did John Ford and Henry Fonda ever make up after the blow up on MISTER ROBERTS? I always kind of wonder at times if they hadn't had that blow up what films they might have later made together and I always seem to come back to THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE with Fonda in the Stewart role (though Stewart is wonderful in it). Thank you!
[color=#0040FF][b]Links:[/b][/color]
[color=#0040FF][b][url=http://www.bearmanormedia.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=682]Charles Tranberg's Latest Book: FREDRIC MARCH: A CONSUMMATE ACTOR[/url][/b][/color]

[color=#0040FF][b][url=http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Tranberg/e/B009EECH7C/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2?qid=1382651629&sr=8-2]Charles Tranberg's Other Books[/url][/b][/color]
Scott_Nollen

Post by Scott_Nollen »

Ford did not paint himself, but he did sketch on occasion; for example, he drew caricatures of Ward Bond as a gorilla! Throughout his career, he demonstrated his knowledge and understanding of Remington and Russell, particularly in SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON and THE SEARCHERS. It is true that Ford "always knew where to put the camera," a genius that was shared to an extent by his brother Francis. He may not have painted on a canvas, but he truly did "paint with the camera."

Ford's many collaborations with Darryl Zanuck are among his best films, but he made great pictures both in and out of the studio system. But a masterpiece like THE GRAPES OF WRATH would not be what it is without the collaboration of Ford and Zanuck--as evidenced by the letter (which I have) that Ford wrote to Zanuck, praising the producer for his editing and sound effects skills. Zanuck's personal supervision of the final cut on the films he made with Ford tightened the pace, often improving Pappy's work. Though they had their differences (as great artists must), they were mutually responsible for some of the finest works of cinema ever made.

It's unfortunate that Boris Karloff's raging religious fanatic in THE LOST PATROL is his only performance in a Ford film. Boris thought very highly of Ford, and the two did occasionally get together for a Scotch or two.

As to further projects, I've really been able to tackle all my "dream subjects" over the past 35 years. THREE BAD MEN is the last "epic" I plan to write. Producing such a book really is a formidable task! I do have a new book that will become available this Spring from Midnight Marquee Press: the first-ever book on actress Glenda Farrell and her career in film, TV and on the stage. Writing this book was a breath of fresh air and a true pleasure after toiling, off and on, on the Ford-Wayne-Bond project over three decades! I'm glad I finally managed to write THREE BAD MEN, and I am so pleased that so many readers and film buffs are enjoying it.

Participating in events such as this one is what this "job" is all about. So often a writer puts his/her work "out there," and a few reviews, letters and emails may trickle in, but there may not be a lot of interaction between the author and the readers. I'm so pleased you asked me to do this, and I would really love to do it again, any time! I am now physically disabled, so it's very difficult for me to travel to do film conferences and conventions; it's great to be able to do all this in the comfort of my home on a laptop!
Scott_Nollen

Post by Scott_Nollen »

At some point, I will post the Francis & Grace photos here!

Yes, that scene in THE WINGS OF EAGLES includes items from Ford's own office, and Bond's take on his own mentor is the true highlight of that film! The frontispiece of my book is a portrait of Bond as "John Dodge."

No, Pappy and Hank Fonda never really did make up after the big MISTER ROBERTS blow-up. Hank never truly forgave Ford for what he considered a bastardization of the original Broadway play, and he was still chafing from the experience when he wrote his autobiography in the 1970s. It is unfortunate that they didn't work together again--although Fonda did contribute interviews to Peter Bogdanovich for his DIRECTED BY JOHN FORD documentary.
charlestranberg

Post by charlestranberg »

Thank you for your reply. That is a shame about Ford & Fonda because they had such a great body of work. And I read somewhere that it was Ford who insisted on using Fonda in the movie when Jack Warner wanted a bigger (and younger) box office name like Marlon Brando or William Holden.
[color=#0040FF][b]Links:[/b][/color]
[color=#0040FF][b][url=http://www.bearmanormedia.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=682]Charles Tranberg's Latest Book: FREDRIC MARCH: A CONSUMMATE ACTOR[/url][/b][/color]

[color=#0040FF][b][url=http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Tranberg/e/B009EECH7C/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2?qid=1382651629&sr=8-2]Charles Tranberg's Other Books[/url][/b][/color]
Scott_Nollen

Post by Scott_Nollen »

Yes, it's true that Ford basically said that he wouldn't direct MISTER ROBERTS without Fonda in it. But Ford couldn't simply film a play; he had to turn the work into a "John Ford film," after all.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Hi Scott and welcome to the Silver Screen Oasis. It's nice having you here.
I'm just amazed at Ward Bond appearing in so many motion pictures (oodles of movies).
How did he do it. Great agent? Popular demand? Waiting on cast call lines?
All this, and considering he died at a young age. The man was wonderful.
Joseph Goodheart
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh thank you thank you! It's wonderful of you to share those Cunard/Ford photos. I can't thank you enough! :D :D :D

And let me be the first to say I will be checking out your bio of Glenda Farrell, she's my role model! She doesn't get nearly enough publicity or praise for her acting. We have a thread here somewhere at the Oasis for Glenda, there are some photos and one of our members posted some magazine articles about her. There isn't a whole lot of information on the world wide web.
Scott_Nollen

Post by Scott_Nollen »

Yes, Ward Bond was an extremely prolific actor. He always was employed. Even when his political activities hurt his career after World War II, he had enough friends in the business to keep him going. His friendships with Ford and Wayne really helped his career. But the key to his success was his ability to play any part that was offered to him. He was one of the most versatile actors in Hollywood history.

Also, I'm pleased to hear that there's a Glenda Farrell admirer here! Glenda has always been my favorite actress; a woman who was a bit ahead of her time, really. My research was exhaustive, and I discovered a lot of material unseen since the 1930s. Hopefully my book will help Glenda to get the recognition she deserves--that's the whole point of writing it. There will be lots of rare photos, too!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The thread devoted to Glenda Farrell is here:
http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... =22&t=5795
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Scott_Nollen wrote:Yes, Ward Bond was an extremely prolific actor. He always was employed. Even when his political activities hurt his career after World War II, he had enough friends in the business to keep him going. His friendships with Ford and Wayne really helped his career. But the key to his success was his ability to play any part that was offered to him. He was one of the most versatile actors in Hollywood history.

Also, I'm pleased to hear that there's a Glenda Farrell admirer here! Glenda has always been my favorite actress; a woman who was a bit ahead of her time, really. My research was exhaustive, and I discovered a lot of material unseen since the 1930s. Hopefully my book will help Glenda to get the recognition she deserves--that's the whole point of writing it. There will be lots of rare photos, too!
Hooray!!!!! There are quite a few of us who cherish her, and this is another book to anticipate. Thanks, Scott, for your time here. Really an enjoyable visit.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Scott_Nollen

Post by Scott_Nollen »

Thanks! I will certainly let you all know when the Glenda Farrell book becomes available, and I'd love to come back and talk all about her wonderful life and career. I have a Facebook page called "Glenda Farrell: Hollywood's 'Hardboiled Dame'," and also a "Three Bad Men" page, if you'd care to "like" them. Thanks again for your interest.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's been a great visit. Don't be a stranger! And don't feel you can only come back when you are plugging a book.... :D
Scott_Nollen

Post by Scott_Nollen »

I'll check in often!