The Artist (2011) a contemporary silent

Rita Hayworth

Re: The Artist (2011) a contemporary silent

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I just can't wait for the DVD to come out!!!!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Me neither :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

:o I was thrilled THE ARTIST won all these awards last night that was tremendous. But I would be allot more thrilled if it inspired Warner's, Paramount and the other major studio's to release their big Silents on DVD and Blu-ray. Especially, THE BIG PARADE and BEAU GESTE. There is really no compelling reason that THE BIG PARADE still has not been released. It was fully restored by Warner's and Eastman House 8 years ago from the original camera negatives. That major restoration led one to believe that Warner's planned to do something with the film rather than stash it away for the better part of another decade. Meantime, BEAU GESTE is finally being restored by UCLA in 35 millimeter. A project that started last May or so. Don't know how far they have gotten at this time.

As Derek from GAOH put it, this appears to be the perfect time for Waner's to finally release THE BIG PARADE, GREED, and THE CROWD. Personally, I'm not a big fan of GREED, but those other two belong on TCM's The Essential's, not still waiting for DVD debuts. Among the MGM Silents, you also need to mention THE STUDENT PRINCE IN OLD HEIDELBERG, and SHOW PEOPLE, among others. Incidentally, does anyone here really think that THE ARTIST is better than SHOW PEOPLE?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

It was delightful to see The Artist's creators acknowledged for their refreshing approach to film--they reminded us of why we love movies. Btw, if anyone was a bit puzzled when Jean Dujardin said “Yes, Melissa, your grandfather’s spirit and joie de vivre inspired me for this role,” when picking up the award for Best Actor, this Leonard Maltin piece might be fun to read.

Yes, it is another link to the still-magical spell cast by Douglas Fairbanks.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Yes, I saw a good copy of THE BIG PARADE on TCM a few years ago. As important as that is to film history, it doesn't do much for me today. I imagine it was quite impressive for its time.

I don't get the reference to SHOW PEOPLE. What is that about?
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

RedRiver wrote:Yes, I saw a good copy of THE BIG PARADE on TCM a few years ago. As important as that is to film history, it doesn't do much for me today. I imagine it was quite impressive for its time.
Really? I think it's still one of King Vidor's best picture.
Show People is also a King Vidor picture showing the rise of a young actress in Hollywood in the 20s. It's played delightfully by Marion Davies.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Red River,

:o The fully restored THE BIG PARADE has never been on TCM. Or on Television anywhere for that matter. They are still airing the Thames Silents version produced in 1983. Broadcast Standards are much different now. THE BIG PARADE is one of the greatest films ever made. 10 times better than WINGS. Your saying it doesn't do much for you perplexes me greatly. It's my favorite film ever, and the finest movie along with THE CROWD that has never been on DVD by a wide margin.
charliechaplinfan

That's so nice of Jean Dujardin to personalise his message so and mention Douglas Fairbanks and his grand daughter. I found his character reminded me too of John Gilbert, he shows more of a resemblance to him plus the fact his star faded as talkies were introduced but in his deportment and shown at work he was more of a Fairbanks.

It's been a few days since I watched this movie and I'm still grinning from ear to ear. It's such a lovely movie, very different to Show People, it's impossible to compare them.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

DVD Release Date is

May 1st, 2012 ...

Here's the link that has all the information:

http://www.dvdreleases.org/comedy/the-artist/

Got my copy already pre-ordered and can't wait to pick it up!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Just my curiosity piqued a bit and perhaps some of our European friends would clear my head. This may have been asked earlier, but I'm starving and waiting for dinner to be ready, and don't want to get into reading this whole thread now.

Is Jean DuJardin large in Europe? Not being a fan of non English speaking movies, I don't think I've ever seen him. Ii know a lot of folks from around the 40's and 50's, but these new guys are 'foreign' to me.
:lol:
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
feaito

Post by feaito »

I saw the film with my wife and we both loved it. What a unique movie! I hope it'll do well at the Box Office here in Chile. Dujardin is simply perfect as this mixture of Fairbanks Senior and Valentino and Berenice Bejo is equally fine as the rising star.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

kingme wrote:DVD Release Date is

May 1st, 2012 ...

Here's the link that has all the information:

http://www.dvdreleases.org/comedy/the-artist/

Got my copy already pre-ordered and can't wait to pick it up!

:o Ah dang. for a minute I thought you were talking about THE BIG PARADE, and not THE ARTIST. Got my hopes up. Anyway, still glad to hear of the release.
charliechaplinfan

mrsl wrote:.
Just my curiosity piqued a bit and perhaps some of our European friends would clear my head. This may have been asked earlier, but I'm starving and waiting for dinner to be ready, and don't want to get into reading this whole thread now.

Is Jean DuJardin large in Europe? Not being a fan of non English speaking movies, I don't think I've ever seen him. Ii know a lot of folks from around the 40's and 50's, but these new guys are 'foreign' to me.
:lol:
Anne, he's had a meteoric rise to stardom, before this starring in James Bond spy spoofs for the same director. I hope we've not heard the last of him, I hope he gets choice parts in his country and helps bring French cinema to more people.
charliechaplinfan

feaito wrote:I saw the film with my wife and we both loved it. What a unique movie! I hope it'll do well at the Box Office here in Chile. Dujardin is simply perfect as this mixture of Fairbanks Senior and Valentino and Berenice Bejo is equally fine as the rising star.
I thought you'd love it, did you not get John Gilbert too? He was the one he reminded me of the most.
feaito

Post by feaito »

You are right there Ali; he has something of JG too, but he reminded me the most of Douglas Fairbanks Senior. This film I want to own on BR or DVD. Now I'm on vacation at La Serena and connecting occasionally.....yesterday I went to the Elqui Valley and I'm walking in the clouds.....the peace and calmness I felt there is unbelievable.