Interview with Mae Murray from 1960

Gagman 66

Interview with Mae Murray from 1960

Post by Gagman 66 »

:o Rare Radio interview with Silent Star Mae Murrary. She talks about the extravagant premiere of the original Silent version of PEACOCK ALLEY in 1922. And CIRCE THE ENCHANTRESS IN 1924. Also Valentinio and John Gilbert. Fascinating stuff. Boy, did she ever have an unusual voice.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Clever Mae Murray Tribute Video Slideshow.

[youtube][/youtube]
Vecchiolarry

Re: Interview with Mae Murray from 1960

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Gagman,

Thank you for this thread on Mae Murray...
I went through it all several weeks ago but waited till I'd finished the new book out on her to answer you.
She was one of my grandmother's dearest friends and I saw quite a lot of her when I was a kid. It was Mae Murray's funeral that my garandmother was going to when she died of a heart attack in her foyer....
I loved Mae dearly; she was a sweet lady and loved to laugh and have a 'gay time'....

I don't quite know where she got that precoius baby voice she uses on the films, but she was always very soft spoken... She had a pleasant voice and was a good singer.

I just finished reading “Mae Murray” - the new book about her. A lot of it rings true and a lot I didn't know; but some of it is just exaggerated rehash of rumours and inconsistencies… When the gods and goddesses have been raised on high, then when they fall often they are trashed with lies.
Mae was a major star in the silents; and I know she was egotistical (what star isn’t?) but when they were finished with her, they didn’t need to throw crap on her and call her “nuts”… She was ‘outre’ and ‘dizzy’ – as Pola Negri called her once, but she was a doll and could sing quite lovely… She and Ramon Novarro sang at several parties I was at and they both could have gone on to musical comedy in the talkies, but ------!!!!
Physically, she was tiny and had beautiful peaches and cream skin... Lovely hands and tiny feet... She was graceful and moved like a queen - sitting gracefully... She was a great hugger and was very affectionate...
I loved the pictures in the book and thanks again for this thread…

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Larry would you recommend the book, or not? Just curious, I wasn't quite sure if you were saying that it was full of those rumors, or if it simply told about those rumors and was balanced otherwise.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Wendy,

I would recommend this book only if you are interested in Mae Murray and her life. It was a gift to me from a friend of the author, because he knew I was aquainted with her years ago.

I never knew lots of the things revealed here but I liked the pictures. If you can peruse a copy in a library, it would be beneficial but I don't know that I would buy it, unless she is one of your 'fanatic' interests!!!

It is interesting to read what Kevin Brownlow writes about her....

The picture on the cover shows her beautiful skin and hands and her silent star glamour and the same photo on the inside title page shows her smiling and sense of humour and a little more human...
The Cecil Beaton photo with her kissing a small bird is charming and displays her pearl and emerald jewelry.

Check it out at a library....

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I will Larry, thanks for going the extra mile for me. I do love silent stars and am always amazed at Mae's charm.... She isn't the most beautiful woman in silents when you look at still photos, but she's so beautiful watching her in a film...you just can't take your eyes off of her when she's on the screen. She piquant.