Greer Garson, a sexy Sir Harry Lauder

stuart.uk

Greer Garson, a sexy Sir Harry Lauder

Post by stuart.uk »

Sir Harry Lauder was a British music hall star from the 1890s through until the 1940s. his name is mentioned in Yankee Doodle Dandy at the dinner table where the Cochan's are lodging. he did make a short film for the war effort with Charlie Chaplin, but it isn't listed in the great mans list of movies.

i wonder what 63-year-old old Sir Harry made of the brilliant, but somewhat daring impression of him by Greer Garson in Random Harvest when it was made in 1943. i imagine if he knew of the film, he probably didn't like like the idea of a woman impersonating while wearing a mini skirt and high heeled shoes when Greer sang Bonnie Daisy.

to prove it was it was Lauder she was impersonating she said midway through the number 'As Harry Would Say.' she also picked up around the same time a crooked walking stick and did the bandy legged walk that both were the Lauder trademark

it imagine to it would be quite daring in 1918 where that part of the story was set, to see a woman in such a short skirt. come to think of it, it was quite daring for 1943 when the film was made

it's simply my favourite Greer Garson scene
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Stuart,

I know what you mean as it's one of my favorite scenes as well. What steals my heart away every time I see her is that incredible smile. I don't know that I've ever seen another quite like it. In a word, the lady is absolutely breathtaking. Just one question. What in God's name was she doing married to that kid that played her son in "Mrs Miniver?" There was no way under the sun that he could have known or appreciated how incredibly good he had it! What say you?

As always,

Hollis
Vienna

Re: Greer Garson, a sexy Sir Harry Lauder

Post by Vienna »

One of my favorite moments in any movie. Greer was just brilliant. Must have been a bit of a shock to her fans who werent used to seeing her in comic mode and short skirt at the time!
Makes you wonder what else she might have done .
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

That is a wonderful scene. This was an incredibly talented actress, as she proves throughout this sensitive James Hilton story. It may well be her best performance, but that's hard to say. She was exceptional in everything. I love her in MADAME CURIE, PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS. In MRS. MINIVER, she's downright inspiring! I can only surmise what this meant to English audiences during the war. It still packs a punch, these 70 years later. Not a bad legacy.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

It was delightful to see Garson letting her hair down and being a trooper. If anyone has a chance to see Julia Misbehaves (1948), Greer Garson plays a penurious actress who finds herself involved with an acrobatic act led by Cesar Romero. It's fun too:

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

And once again paired with Walter Pidgeon. Didn't they ever get tired of each other?