WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

JackFavell

Re: WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

I don't think I've ever seen Lovely to Look At, Fer... I think I might give it a go, after reading your review. It may be a while, I have movies stacked up in rows to watch already, but you piqued my interest in a movie I haven't ever really wanted to watch before.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'm glad Wendy! Last night I watched all the musical numbers of the film again and another thing I noticed is that besides dancing very, very well technically speaking, Marge and Gower Champion, being a married team, had a chemistry and a complicity beyond dancing that was apparent in her numbers and enhanced their appeal....here they sing and dance "I Won't Dance", they dance to a dreamy, melodious musical version of "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" and in the final Fashion Show sequence they have a sexy, jazzy number, he impersonating a jewel thief and she a smart dame! :wink:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hey, Jacks, when you get around to the movie, the "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" number will look familiar. TCM used a part of that scene in one of their intros a couple of years back. It's lovely, all done in blues....you'll recognize it right away.

I absolutely love the number "Life Upon the Wicked Stage" that Marge & Gower Champion do in Show Boat. I agree with 'Nando, they really had a special something together.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've never seen this movie but will be moving it up my list, just for the songs which I love.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Marge and Gower Champion always light up a musical. I watched part of Give a Girl a Break a while back, with Marge, Gower and Bob Fosse. The movie isn't much but oh, the dancing....
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

The Desert Song (1955)

This was a Black and white version made for TV. As may be expected in a live telecast there would be some mistakes. Allowing for that it was still a good show. Gale Sherwood as Margot was brilliant, with Nelson Eddy as Pierre Birabeau and The Red Shadow. He did not share the same rapport as he had with Jeanette MacDonald up to 20 years before.

For me a film must be believable, but who would believe a 54 year old man (who looked every minute of it) romancing a 26 year old woman. The music was great, the singing was great, especially that of Gale Sherwood. Nelson Eddy was in good voice, but not as good as former days.

The earlier colour version with Kathryn Grayson and Gordon MacRae was far superior. But ,of course that was made as a movie, with as many retakes as required.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Fossy wrote:The Desert Song (1955)

This was a Black and white version made for TV. As may be expected in a live telecast there would be some mistakes. Allowing for that it was still a good show. Gale Sherwood as Margot was brilliant, with Nelson Eddy as Pierre Birabeau and The Red Shadow. He did not share the same rapport as he had with Jeanette MacDonald up to 20 years before.
Fossy - I've seen just a couple clips from this DESERT SONG - would like to see the whole production as I do love Nelson Eddy. Yes, he does appear kinda long in the tooth in this, but the voice is still fine, IMO and I would want to see him in just about anything.

I did recently purchase the DVD of the B&W telecast of KISS ME, KATE (1958) with Alfred Drake (swoon) and Patricia Morison. WOW - AD is fabulous in this signature role of his, and although the production is abridged to fit a 90 minute Hallmark Hall of Fame TV show, it is great seeing both the original Broadway stars in this. I liked Patricia Morrison's Kate better than Katheryn Grayson's film Kate, and oh my, this production has Julie Wilson as Bianca and she blew me away singing Why Can't You Behave? Just a very swell production that I know I will view again and again.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Somebody recommended LOVE ME TONIGHT out of the blue. I'm not a big fan of old musicals. But to have it come up in conversation that way is intriguing. Should I watch it?
Last edited by RedRiver on February 2nd, 2012, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Yes, it's wonderful, a favourite of many of us here :D It has a real charm plus it's a precode so it's deliciously naughty.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Jezebel, thanks for posting about Kiss Me, Kate. I had no idea that a version existed with the 2 original Broadway stars. I love that musical--I used to borrow the cast album from the library all the time when I was a teenager.

I just watched the 1952 version of The Jazz Singer starring Danny Thomas. I recorded this from TCM back in September. I have to say, that I really quite enjoyed it. I had expected it to be sub-par, but Thomas was very likeable, and the supporting players were wonderful--Peggy Lee as his musical theatre star love interest, and Mildred Dunnock and Eduard Franz as his parents. Dunnock's face is so expressive, with those lovely large eyes.

All of the songs were sung by Thomas and Lee, and a high point of the film is Lee's incredible version of "Lover" by Rodgers and Hart. The film version was slightly different than the popular recording, as though she was singing live in the nightclub where the scene takes place. Of course, I know it must've been pre-recorded, but it was fun to hear an alternate take.

The plot is basically the same as the Jolson version--son wants to go into show biz, dad wants him to be a cantor. In this version, Thomas is a veteran of the Korean War, and he met Lee when he was assigned to be the guide for her USO touring group.

I could've done without some of the comedy routines that Thomas does in his nightclub act...not bad, but not good, either. And I was fascinated by the strange skinny microphone that was used. But all in all, a pleasant way to spend a Sunday morning. I've spent the rest of the afternoon listening to Peggy Lee on Spotify!

Sandy K
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

There was even a TV special with Robert Goulet and Carol Lawrence doing KISS ME, KATE. I believe Michael Callan sang "Too Darn Hot." I might be wrong.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Ooooh - didn't know about that version RedRiver - found a clip on YTB:
[youtube][/youtube]

And here is a clip of Alfred Drake and Patricia Morrison from the B&W version (DVD available):

[youtube][/youtube]
feaito

Post by feaito »

Wonderful clips Jez. Both Kiss Me Kate & Pat Morison are favorites of mine.

Look what a unique Kathryn Grayson performance I found on Youtube; Ou la la:

[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Michael Callan must have started out in musicals, I just saw him in Gidget Goes Hawaiian and he danced up a storm!Probably the best number in the picture. I never knew he could move like that! Incredible.

I am totally in love with Lawrence Tibbetts' voice this morning, in Cuban Love Song. He's the most nuanced movie opera singer, he has such power. The tone of his voice is thrilling. I wish I'd watched this one, but I was busy around the house and suddenly was stopped cold by his beautiful singing.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:Michael Callan must have started out in musicals, I just saw him in Gidget Goes Hawaiian and he danced up a storm!Probably the best number in the picture. I never knew he could move like that! Incredible.
I saw Callan interviewed years ago when he explained to a reporter that he was brought out to Hollywood after being hailed for his musical and dancing abilities in Broadway's The Boyfriend and in West Side Story in the late '50s because MGM hoped to have another Gene Kelly under contract. He arrived too late to be part of that era, and found himself saddled with roles in other movies, such as Gidget Goes Hawaiian and the delightful Cat Ballou as well as a kajillion tv shows. He has his own website, btw:
http://timem.com/starwebs/michaelcallan/
JackFavell wrote:I am totally in love with Lawrence Tibbetts' voice this morning, in Cuban Love Song. He's the most nuanced movie opera singer, he has such power. The tone of his voice is thrilling. I wish I'd watched this one, but I was busy around the house and suddenly was stopped cold by his beautiful singing.
LOVE Mr. T. and this movie in particular. I don't know why, but I like the guy, even though--or because of--his kind of odd looks and bouncy personality. I am not normally able to bear much of Lupe Velez (sorry) but she's good in this one, as was the wonderful Karen Morley.
[youtube][/youtube]

Have you seen Metropolitan (1935) or New Moon(1930) ? The plot of the latter is unbelievably lame, but the music in both of these is great! Metropolitan has been on the FMC a couple of times and New Moon was on TCM within the last year (around 4am).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks