My Passion Is The Great Movie Opera Singers of 1930-1940

mrsl

Re: My Passion Is The Great Movie Opera Singers of 1930-1940

Post by mrsl »

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. Uncle Stevie you did what I do all the time, I put my size 7.5 in my mouth then have to re-think it when someone points out the error of my words. I pretty much agree with you on some stuff, not JW though because he is totally different in Wings of Eagles, The Searchers, and The Quiet Man - a completely separate personality and temperament in each one. Then, you can't help feeling sorry for him in The High and the Mighty, he plays a guy who lost his family, and his dream of being captain and has to resort to co-captain because of his leg. Right after that, he takes charge and saves his entire crew in Island in the Sky. Oh, yes, JW is an Actor!

Clark Gable is a bore as far as I'm concerned most of the time. He's the one who plays Clark Gable over and over again. Clark's trouble was he didn't know when to stop. Sure he was the King of Hollywood, but the time came for him to pass the sceptre on, yet he never knew it. I thought he looked silly with Doris Day in Teacher's Pet, but Sophia looked fine with him in It Started in Naples, but she is a more mature looking woman than Doris.

Cooper never turned me on in anything except Sergeant York. The rest I could take or leave.

The one that makes me laugh is Bogie. He builds a whole career on being an uneducated gangster, and waits until he's been making movies for 15 years before he starts to play his own real self - a man of class. The guy was born with a silver spoon in his mouth yet he made the whole U.S. believe he was barely able to read.

So, although I know many will disagree with me, you never know who will be attractive to whom. And I'm sorry for going off track - back to the ladies, who can sing.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

My favourite Grace Moore movie is “The King Steps Out” based on a stage musical by Fritz Kreisler called “Cissy”.
“The King Steps Out” is based on actual characters .Francis Joseph I (18 Aug 1830—21 Nov 1916) portrayed by Franchot Tone.

Elisabeth of Bavaria (24 Dec 1837—10 Sep 1898) portrayed by Grace Moore. She was the fourth child of Duke Maximilian Joseph of Bavaria.(Portrayed by Walter Connolly).

In 1853 Elisabeth accompanied her mother and her 18 year old sister Helene on a trip to Bad Ischl in Austria. Her mother hoped that Helene would catch the eye of the 23 year old Emperor. Instead Francis Joseph chose the 15 year old Elisabeth. The couple were married a year later at St. Augustine`s Church in Vienna on 24 April 1854. Elisabeth was known as “Sisi” within the family. Helene was known as “Nene”. Elisabeth and Francis Joseph had four children, One of whom died in infancy. Their son Rudolf is portrayed by Charles Boyer in the 1936 movie "Mayerling".

Elisabeth was assassinated in Switzerland on 10 Sep 1898.

During the movie a melody by Joseph Hayden was played frequently as a royal salute. The tune with lyrics by Lorenz Leopold Hascha was released on the Emperors birthday in 1797. The song was called “Volkslied”, and was played simultaneously at all playhouses, opera houses, and similar.
The lyrics were changed at the crowning of new emperors. In 1826 a version to be played by military bands was commissioned, and this version officially became the National Anthem.
In 1836 a new text was written by Baron Joseph Christian von Zedlitz and this text remained until the end of the monarchy in 1918.

But in Germany in 1841 Hoffmann von Fallersleben published his "Lied der Deutschen, (Song Of Germany) giving Haydn's tune a new set of verses that was to become the source of political conflict 80 years later. In 1922 this version became the German National Anthem. In 1946 the first two verses were dropped, the first verse being offensive to other countries, the second verse was regarded as being offensive to women. If lyrics are required to be sung only the third verse is sung..

The Austrian Anthem is now Land Der Berge, Land Am Strome. With lyrics by Paula von Prevadrovic and melody by Mozart.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'd heard about The King Steps Out, Fossy, but now your description really makes me want to track down a copy (I have a fascination with Elisabeth of Austria too).

And btw, welcome to the website and thanks for sharing your enthusiasms.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Jane Powell born 1 April 1929. Film career 19 movies 1944 to 1958. ( I have them all plus one of her tv movies) She also appeared after that on television series and in tv movies and also became a star on stage.
Jane starred in eight of her movies and co-starred in another six. She maintained her trim, taut and terrific figure throughout her fourteen year career in movies.
Supposedly, in the movie “A Date With Judy”, Jane received her first kiss (from Robert Stack). I would dispute this. Poor Robert stood like a statue in shock when 16 year old Jane threw herself at him. ( actually she was 19) Jane eventually lost Robert to the “older” Elizabeth Taylor. (Elizabeth was actually 16).
Jane was kept young in her movies. Her height (154cm) was emphasized by keeping her in flat shoes and playing her opposite tall men.

She never learned to play a musical instrument although she was seen “playing” the piano in movies.
She was never trained as an opera singer and had no ambition to be an opera singer. However she could hear a song and then sing it, see a dance and then do it, read a script and then act it.
She was probably the most “dumped on” of all the film sopranos. Her voice sometimes called “squeaky”, or “shrill” .She was often compared to Deanna Durbin, but readily admitted that she could never compete with Deanna.
She sang a total of 54 songs which included only four arias from opera.

1948 “Three Daring Daughters” Je Veux Vivre from Romeo and Juliette.
1948 “Luxury Liner” Gavotte from Manon
1950 “Nancy Goes To Rio” Quando Men Vo from La Boheme.
1954 “Athena” Chacun Le Sait from La Fille Du Regiment

My favourites
“Two weeks ---With Love”
“Nancy Goes to Rio” (remake of and far superior to the Deanna Durbin Movie “It`s A date”)
“Seven Brides For Seven Brothers”
“Three Daring Daughters”

Not so good.
“Enchanted Island”, “The Female Animal” and “Royal Wedding”
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I was lucky enough to win an Ebay sale of Louise (Grace Moore) for $9.99. I was the only bidder. I have been looking for this movie which is very hard to find and there it was. You never know what fortune is around the corner.

My next quest is for "A Lady's Morals" which is the biography of Jenny Lind and stars Grace Moore. I cannot find a copy anywhere yet. But I am still looking. That will complete my collection of Grace Moore. I have all her other movies and enjoy them all. She brings Opera to the Silver Screen in a light hearted way. Grace has the most engaging smile and is most appealing in a non sexy way. Her voice is magnificent and I love the way she flails her arms in an animated manner when she sings. Her credentials are great, from night clubs to musical comedy on Broadway to concerts around the world and finally to the Metroplitan Opera in New York. She was a grand Diva. Unfortunately she died in a plane crash at the young age of 48 in 1947. Grace Moore was born in Tenessee and was dubbed the Tenessee Nightingale. Graceland was named after her since Elvis Presley bought her estate after she died.

Uncle Stevie
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Trivia

I am in the habit of watching TV from about 4:00pm. If I am home I may watch two quiz shows, followed by Brisbane news, then local news, and then A Current Affair. Following these I usually watch one of my videos. Last night it was “The Under-Pup”(1939)
starring 13 year old soprano Gloria Jean. I have watched this movie a number of times but last night a couple of things stood out.

The part of Gloria Jean`s brother was played by Dickie Moore who 49 years later married soprano Jane Powell.

This film was centered around a holiday camp for young girls. There was a mail call and one of the names called out was Gloria Harkinson, the named used by another soprano, Deanna Durbin in the movie “Mad About Music”(1938).
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Gloria Jean is another lost product of the 30-40s musical era. Here is a mini biography of her.

Birth Name
Gloria Jean Schoonover

Mini Biography
Gloria Jean Schoonover was born on April 14, 1926 in Buffalo, New York. Her family moved to Scranton, Pennsylvania shortly after that; this is where Gloria spent the early part of her childhood. Her father owned a music store, while her mother, who had been a bareback rider in a circus, took care of Gloria and her three siblings.

Gloria's singing ability was discovered at a young age, and by age five she was singing in the Scranton area. At age twelve, Gloria was taken to an audition by Universal director Joe Pasternak, who was looking for a new child singer to replace studio icon Deanna Durbin, who was being steered into adult and ingénue roles. Although hundreds of Shirley-Temple-perfect girls competed, the natural-looking Gloria was chosen, and she and her mother were soon on their way to Hollywood.

In 1939, Gloria made her first film: "The Under-Pup", which made her an instant hit with moviegoers. Happy with their young coloratura soprano, Universal cast her in "If I Had My Way", which co-starred Bing Crosby. Following that was what many consider Gloria's best movie: "A Little Bit of Heaven". Following this was a co-starring role with W.C. Fields in "Never Give a Sucker an Even Break", which is the most seen of her movies today.

At this point in 1941, Gloria was at the pinnacle of her career, and one would imagine that her star would soar. Unfortunately, it didn't work that way. Gloria had outgrown her Little Miss Fixit roles (as had Durbin a few years earlier), but Durbin was in command of the older-girl roles for the better pictures. At a loss for what to do with Jean, Universal moved her to the "Hepcat" movies, which appealed to the teenagers of that day. "What's Cooking", "Get Hep to Love", "When Johnny Comes Marching Home", and "It Comes Up Love," were all shot in 1942. "Mr. Big," and "Moonlight in Vermont" followed in 1943. All of the above were stock B films which appealed to teenagers of the time. Gloria (as did many Universal stars) had a few seconds on-screen in the war-effort picture, "Follow the Boys", in 1944. After that came a rather good picture "Follow My Rhythm" with Mel Torme, who became a close friend. Then, in "Ghost Catchers", she was teamed with popular comedians Ole Olsen and Chic Johnson. The rather forgettable "Reckless Age" was next, its main distinction being that it was the first movie in which Gloria played a more mature role.

Gloria was to star in one of four episodes of the Julien Duvivier's "Flesh and Fantasy," alongside such stars as Edward G. Robinson, Charles Boyer, and Barbara Stanwyck. But the movie was deemed to be too long, and Gloria's segment was cut out. Some awful footage was added, and the end result was "Destiny". Gloria's performance was given rave reviews, but the movie itself met with modest success. Following this, Gloria did three more films at Universal: "I'll Remember April", "River Gang", and "Easy to Look at".

At this point, upon the (bad) advice of her agent, Gloria decided not to renew her contract at Universal, opting instead to go on tour. The tour did not work out as well as expected, and Gloria returned to the Hollywood in 1947, but she found virtually nobody interested in her services. Groucho Marx gave her a minor role in his picture "Copacabana". This appearance ultimately landed her four more roles in: "I Surrender, Dear", "Manhattan Angel", "An Old Fashioned Girl" and "There's a Girl in My Heart".

As the 1950's began, television was taking off in popularity. Gloria made several singing shorts that were aired during television's early days. Other than that and a few guest appearances on TV series, Gloria's acting career was virtually finished. She appeared in the forgettable "Air Strike" in 1955 and she worked in a couple of movies that were never released.

Jerry Lewis found her working as a restaurant hostess and gave her a part in his movie "The Ladies' Man", which was meant to re-launch her career. Unfortunately, her scenes were cut from the final release. Gloria married shortly after that movie, a short-lived marriage which happily produced a son. At that point, Gloria virtually retired from the screen. She went to work for Redken (a cosmetics firm) until her retirement in 1993.

Gloria was reintroduced to a limelight of sorts by the magic of Ebay, where her movies (many of which are in the public domain) were being sold. Through the help of her sister Bonnie (who handled the computer end of things: Gloria didn't do "Windows"), Gloria got onto Ebay herself, selling copies of the movies she appeared in, as well as signed photographs (old publicity shots) of herself. Spurred by the popularity of these, Gloria published her autobiography "Gloria Jean: A Little Bit of Heaven" in 2005.

After her sister Bonnie's death in 2007, Gloria moved to Hawaii, where she now lives with her son and his family.

While Gloria is no longer active on Ebay, those interested can still get copies of her movies, signed photographs, etc. by visiting her website. IMDB rules forbid the posting of URL's, but you can find it by typing "Gloria Jean child star" into your favorite search engine.

IMDb Mini Biography By: Tom Barrister

Spouse
Franco Cellini (1962 - 1966) (divorced) 1 son

Trivia
Retired from acting in 1963.

One son, Angelo, and 3 grandchildren.
Uncle Stevie

Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Jeannette MacDonald 18 June 1903—14 Jan 1965 appeared in 27 films between 1929 and 1949. I have 26 of these films. The film I do not have (Annabelle`s Affairs) is known to be damaged and only 10 minutes of this film exists in a museum. I also have a short film called Prima Donna. Jeannette died age 61 after a 10 year battle with heart disease.

As far as I can tell
Jeanette Starred in 16 of her movies and co-starred in 11.
Did not sing an aria from opera until her fourteenth movie (Rose Marie 1936).
Sang an incredible 165 songs in her 27 movies. Only 11 of these were arias from opera.
Performed on stage from age six years.
Made her opera debut in Montreal, Canada, in 1943 at age 40 in the opera Romeo & Juliette. Her only other opera was Faust.
Her movie “The Cat and The Fiddle (1934)” was MGM`s first attempt at Technicolor, the last reel being shot in Technicolor.

My Favourites
Maytime (1937), Three Daring Daughters (1948), The Love Parade (1929)

Not so good,
The Vagabond King (1930), Let`s Go Native (1930), The Lottery Bride (1930), Oh For A man (1930), and Don`t Bet On Women (1931)
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi Fossy, My favorite Jeanette film is the best (IMO) musical of all time "Love Me Tonight" (1932) and my fave film of her and Nelson is definitely "Maytime" (1937), a wonderful, touching story. "The Love Parade" (1929) is also very good, but I prefer "One Hour With You" (1932). "The Cat and the Fiddle" and "The Merry Widow" (both 1934) are also superb!
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

You guys are costing me money. I have only nine of Jeanette's films and now I want them all. The Merry Widow is my favorite but I like most of them. I will now seek to buy more for my collection. Along the way I got a bonus movie with Evelyn Laye (One Heavenly Night) and she could be an acting twin of Jeanette MacDonald. They are so similar and both are cute blondes with good operatic singing voices and act similarly. Of the old singers with a different acting style I pick Grace Moore. She is different and I love to watch her. She is an excellent Opera singer but her wonderful smile and animated arm movements really grab me. I think Jeanette is one of the better actresses from the 30s singing circuit.

My love for these 30-40s singers is uncontrolled. I can't get enough of them. And they are all blondes. I don't know what that means but it is an observation. One correction - Deanna Durbin is a red head.
Uncle Stevie

Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Hi! All,
Message for Uncle Stevie, Jeannette was a redhead, too!

As for buying all of Jeannette`s films, when I got down to the last three the only place I could find them was Roberts. I also found a site which featured people condemning him. However I was so desperate to have all of Jeannette`s films that I took a chance and ordered them—wrong move. I thought that I had warned Uncle Stevie about him, but apparently not.

“The Merry Widow” is also one of my favourites. However, Grace Moore had this to say about the movie.
At a party Grace was introduced to Harry Cohn.
“I had never heard of him, nor of Colombia pictures, and when he abruptly said, “how would you like to make a picture over at Columbia? Why don`t you come to see me tomorrow at eleven”? I promptly forgot all about it. The next morning, for once, I overslept. But Mr. Cohn hadn`t forgotten, and in answer to his call asking “where in hell” I was, I broke a record getting over to see him. We had a friendly talk out of which emerged the simple fact that although he wanted to do a picture with me, he had no definite ideas. He offered me a contract and the promise to come through with a story.
It seemed a long chance. I was frightened of walking into the same disaster as before, where story difficulties had been a trap. I had one dominating ambition at that moment. I wanted to do The Merry Widow at MGM. I had heard that Thalberg was going to do it with Maurice Chevalier, but as yet had no widow. I begged extra time for a decision from Harry Cohn and dashed over to the Metro lot to see Thalberg. How I wanted to do that picture! I used every art of persuasion I knew to convince Thalberg that I was his “widow.” He was so kind but so firm. “We`re probably going to sign another singer,” he admitted. Finally Thalberg told me bluntly that Lubitch didn`t want me, didn`t believe in me, was sold on another girl.
“I`ll do it for nothing ,” I cried. “The role was made for me—the music for my voice. Cohn has given me till four-thirty this afternoon to make up my mind. I`ll stay here until then and let you think over my free offer.”
I waited at MGM until four-fifteen, when I finally had to admit that there wasn`t a chance. Thalberg tried to ease the blow by offering an option for a future picture. Well they should have believed me. The Merry Widow was a flop. Disconsolately I went over to the Columbia Studios and signed what was to be the most fortunate contract of my career.”
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

It may seem that my only interest is in sopranos. Wrong, that is just my main interest. I also enjoy Tenors and baritones, but not bass baritones (they always seem grumpy). One tenor of this era is
Joseph Schmidt
Was born in Austria-Hungary 4 Mar 1904. He became a Romanian when Austria- Hungary was dissolved after WW1.His birthplace, Davidende, is now called Davydivka and is now in Ukraine. He died in a refugee camp in Switzerland 16 Nov 1942.
Because of increasing Jewish persecution he fled Germany in 1937, and Austria in 1938. He missed the boat in France when he tried to flee to America. He then fled in turn to Belgium, Holland and Switzerland, where he was arrested as an illegal immigrant and subsequently died in a refugee camp at age 38 years.

IMDB lists nine movies, however two of these were English language remakes. He starred in four of the seven German language films. I have two of these, “ Ein Lied Geht Um Die Welt” (1933), which was remade in 1934 as “My Song Goes Round The World”, and “Ein Stern Fallt Vom Himmel” (1934) which was remade in 1936 as “ A Star Fell From Heaven”.
Of the seven movies Joseph starred in four. The songs which he sang in his movies are not listed on IMDB so I have no way of knowing how many songs he actually sang were from opera.

Operas
“L`Africaine” (on German radio).
“La Boheme” 26 performances in Belgium and Holland.
Because of his small stature (153cm) he performed mainly in concert and radio. He is reported to have recorded 80 songs and arias, of which I have 25, including a beautiful duet with Grace Moore, “Vogliatime Bene”.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Alice Josephine Pons ( called “Lili”) was born near Cannes, France 12 April, 1898 and died in Texas USA 13 Feb 1976.

At 152 cm tall and with 60cm waist she was the smallest of the “film sopranos”.
She was the first soprano to reach the high “F” required by Delibes in his opera Lakme. She could hold a high “D” for almost a minute.

1911 studied piano at Paris Conservatoire
1913 won first prize as a pianist.
1914 Moved to Cannes at the outbreak of WW1 where she played and sang to French troops. Her mother worked as a nursing aide.
1923 (age 25) She married. Her husband encouraged her singing.
1925 (age 27) Took singing lessons in Paris.
1928 (age 30) Made her operatic debut in “Lakme” at a provincial opera house at Mulhouse, in Eastern France. The “Bell Song” from this opera became known as her signature tune.
1930 Following the retirement of coloratura Amelita Galli-Curci Lili travelled to USA and auditioned at the Metropolitan.
1931 ( Jan 3) (age 32) Her name was changed to Lily and she made her Metropolitan debut in Lucia Di Lammermoor.
1932 Divorced her first husband.

1935 (age 37) Following the success of the Grace Moore movie “One Night Of Love” movie makers looked to other opera stars to appear in films. Lily was one of those approached. She made her film debut in “I Dream Too Much” She appeared in two other movies. She starred in each of these and sang a total of fifteen songs, which included five arias from opera. Although her movies were successful, she could not match the popularity of her main rivals, Grace Moore and Jeanette MacDonald.

1938 Married her second husband, Andre Kostelanitz. Lily then became a radio star and in this field she outshone Grace and Jeanette.

1942—1945 She toured the battlefields of North Africa and Asia. Her country of birth awarded her the Croix de Lorraine and the Legion d`Honneur.

1958 Divorced Andre Kostelanitz. The divorce was amicable and they continued to work together.

1960 (Dec 14, age 62) Her last appearance at the Metropolitan. She continued in concert and radio.

1972 (May, age 74) gave her last concert. The conductor was former husband Andre Kostellanitz.

1976 (Feb 13, age 77) died of pancreatic cancer.

1997 (10 Sep) Was pictured on one of a set of four 32¢ US commemorative postage stamps in the Legends of American Music series, issued 10 September 1997, celebrating opera singers. The other singers honoured in this issue were Rosa Ponselle, Lawrence Tibbett, and Richard Tucker.

Her signature tune

Last edited by Fossy on May 29th, 2010, 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Nice write up on Lily Pons. You made me go out and buy one of her movies.

Uncle Stevie
Uncle Stevie

Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Grace Moore said
It`s wonderful to be alive. Best of all is life. I love to live and to sing.
25 January 1947

And the next day she died.