One Sunday Afternoon (1948)

moira finnie
Administrator

One Sunday Afternoon (1948)

Post by moira finnie »

Did anyone see "One Sunday Afternoon" (1948) on TCM the other night?

Directed by Raoul Walsh, the performances were very entertaining (particularly Dennis Morgan, Janis Paige, & Dorothy Malone) and the turn-of-the-century settings were charmingly rendered. I honestly had never seen this movie (or heard about it before).

Apparently this one is on DVD from the Warner Archive, though I had only seen the non-musical versions in the past (the 1933 version of "One Sunday Afternoon" with Gary Cooper & Fay Wray, and the wonderful Cagney-Walsh collaboration in 1941 that yielded "The Strawberry Blonde").

I realize that most criticism on the internet seems to dismiss this one as a pale imitation of the earlier versions, but the rendition of "A Bicycle Built for Two" and "Deck the Halls" were nicely staged and sung. Additionally, the color used in the movie gave the exaggerated costumes and idyllic settings a look like a 1890s rotogravure newspaper (quite reminiscent of the Booth Tarkington settings in Warners' later musicals, "On Moonlight Bay" and "By the Light of the Silvery Moon"). These were particularly effective in the winter scenes set at Christmas.
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Re: One Sunday Afternoon (1948)

Post by RedRiver »

That Walsh. Quite a versatile filmmaker. I don't know this movie. But a musical? Not what I expect from the maker of WHITE HEAT and OBJECTIVE, BURMA. But neither is STRAWBERRY BLONDE, and that's outstanding.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I wanted to see it because I wanted to compare it to Strawberry Blonde ... drats!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh god bless it, I missed it! I even had it marked but I was busy that morning and didn't get home till The Man I Love was on.

I know it has a bad rep, but I wanted to check it out myself, since lately film criticism has been annoying me. Moira, Walsh loved the gay nineties and early nineteen hundreds, as I'm sure you already know. His movies taking place at that time are all lively and robust, and he has a great feel for the music of the time. He also is just great at getting a certain feel, maybe through color, or the style of hairdress and clothing, but it's more than that. I think maybe he had certain standout memories of the time, the way it sounded, the way it smelled and how people talked. In The Strawberry Blonde, he starts it off with a musical section that takes you back to the time period that's lovely. I'd dearly love to have seen it and discussed it with you. I'm very bummed about it, since I've been trying to complete my Walsh wishlist.

I just looked and it's not available on youtube or Netflix, on Amazon it's 13.99, pretty expensive for a movie no one is supposed to like. :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I don't read much criticism anymore. I used to. I had an idea as to what's considered good, and why. I just don't care anymore. I learn something about the plot, the attitude. Then I decide whether or not watch. It's not that I'm so smart I couldn't use a little guidance. I'm out of touch. I'm so far removed from the pleasures of mainstream audiences, it really has no bearing. "This is the greatest movie since the last greatest movie. The twenty year-old actor is a phenomenon!" Um...OK.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You are right Red, I think it almost isn't about HOW great a movie is. I find a lot of good things in a lot of so called bad movies.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Wen, if you look at the Warner Archive and the Turner Video Store site, they have been running a ton of sales in the last month including movies for 20% off and 3 for $30. I am not sure if you are interested, but those ongoing sales may help. Also, I have purchased several used DVDs on Amazon (including MOD) without any problems so it may be another avenue to look at when you are trying to be frugal.

I think that Red has the right idea. Sometimes I think that a.) film critics see too many movies, b.) are trying to impress each other and c.) don't always reflect the POV of classic film fans.

There is almost always some small performance, moment, or timely bit in almost all older movies, even the flawed ones, that can enchant or enlighten me. One Sunday Afternoon just caught me by surprise by being a little charming, not world shaking.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I think that Red has the right idea

That's not something I hear every day!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks for the tips, Moira, I hadn't tried any of those ways to get movies on the cheap side. I didn't even know Amazon had used movies!

There is something to be said for some of these unknown underrated movies that show up. I can think of a hundred that would never make the critics best list, but that I love for their charm and simplicity. One reason I keep coming back to the SSO, since this is really the hoppin' place to find these little gems!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Sometimes these minor films can be more fun than the great ones. Steak and lobster are fine. But once in a while, you want a good hot dog!
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Having read the comments made here I re-visited all three of these movies. ( I have them all). I will make these comments.
Firstly I enjoyed them all. Some comments seem to indicate that these shows were not very good. I must be a bit kinky as I often enjoy shows which have been dumped on. Red and I seem to think alike.

On the 1933 version I felt that the pugnacious Biff just did not suit the style of Gary Cooper. I feel that this show belonged to the obnoxious Hugo (Neil Hamilton). Virginia ( Fay Wray) also did a good job , originally as a beauty and later as a tarty shrew. Overall I found this a good show.

On the 1941 version (Strawberry Blonde). This was a stretched version of the original, being about a half hour longer. James Cagney was more suited to the role of Biff. Rita Hayworth was only just ok as Virginia. I felt that this show belonged to Olivia De Havilland (Amy).

On the 1948 version. This was virtually word for word the same as Strawberry Blonde. Being in colour and with more music was a big improvement. However Dennis Morgan , with his pretty face and portly tummy did not look like a fighter. Janis Paige (Virginia) and Hugo ( Don Defore)were just ok. I think that this show belonged to Amy ( Dorothy Malone).