June Haver

Fossy

June Haver

Post by Fossy »

June Haver 10 June 1926—4 July 2005

June was only six years old when she made her stage Debut. By age eleven she was a regular on radio. She was married at age twenty one, but the marriage ended only a year later. She became engaged to dentist John Duzik, who died suddenly following surgery. Following his death she entered a convent intending to become a nun. After nine months in the convent she became ill and returned to California for treatment, intending to return to the convent. However she met Fred MacMurray again and married him a few months later. The marriage lasted thirty seven years until his death. They adopted twin daughters. After her marriage she did not return to movies. She did not remarry and survived her husband by thirteen years.

The Gang`s All Here (1943) was her first movie. It is also part of my Alice Faye collection.
Andy Mason ( James Ellison) is a soldier on leave. He actively pursues chorus girl Edie Allen (Alice Faye). They fall in love, and when he goes away they write to one another, but Andy has given Edie the name of his army buddy.

Andy returns a hero and his father hires the show as a fund raiser for the war effort. Andy is sprung with two girls. All ends well when the girl next door goes off to Broadway to become a star, and Andy ends up with Edie. A great show with plenty of singing and dancing.

And June Haver? I was able to identify her as the hat check girl, a role which lasted about ten seconds. She was also a chorus girl but I must have blinked because I did not identify her.

The second movie for June was Home In Indiana (1944)
`Thunder` Bolt (Walter Brennan) is the owner of a run down horse breeding ranch. Thunder was a former champion trotting driver who had fallen on hard times. His wealthy neighbour Godaw Boole ( Charles Dingle) a former partner of Thunder had a magnificent property apparently gained by cheating his partner.
Teenage orphan with a chip on his shoulder Sparkie (Lon McCalliater) has come to live with the Bolts. He discovers the farm next door and also two Girls who live there. The beautiful and snobbish `Cri-Cri` Boole (June Haver) and the foreman`s tomboy daughter `Char` Bruce (Jeanne Crain).

Sparkie becomes a champion driver, and eventually realises that it is not `Cri-Cri` he has the hots for, but Char. Thunder`s stud is being rebuilt and new clients are lining up.
JackFavell

Re: June Haver

Post by JackFavell »

I always thought that June Haver was the most beautiful of that 'wholesome with a body that won't quit' types in Hollywood at that time. I guess in retrospect she was presented as Betty Grable's successor, but I like her because she really had something else going for her besides looks.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

third movie--Irish Eyes Are Smiling (1944)
This biopic is a celebration of the music and songs of Ernest `Ernie` Ball (Dick Haymes). Ernie pursued Mary `Irish` O`Neill (June Haver). Ernie was a struggling song writer, and `Irish` was a chorus girl. `Irish` was sacked from her job and decided to go to New York to try her luck. Ernie followed, but could not find her.
Ernie became a big success, and eventually found `Irish` working as a hat check girl. Entrepeneur Edgar Brawley (Monty Woolley) bet Al Jackson (Anthony Quinn) $25000.00 that he could make the next girl to come out of the ladies room a broadway star of the first girl to come out of the ladies room. Edgar had arranged for Lucille (Beverley Whitney) to come out on a signal, but Ernie sent `Irish` to the ladies room on a pretext. `Irish` was forcibly ejected, and being the first out she was to be made a star.

`Irish, thinking the joke was on her left town. She was eventually found and became a star. Ernie was tricked into returning. He ended up where he was trying to be all the show, in the arms of `Irish`. The show finished with a montage of Ernest R. Ball songs.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

fourth movie--Something For The Boys (1944)

Cousins Chiquita (Carmen Miranda), Blossom( Vivian Blane), Harry (Phil Silvers) have inherited a run down southern plantation. Along comes `Rocky` (Michael O`Shea) with a plan to turn the mansion into a residence for army wives. To finance the venture a show is planned.
After a few hiccups, including some military manoeuvres along the way, the plan succeeds and Blossom ends up in the arms of Rocky.

And what of June ? She was in the chorus, but I blinked again and missed her.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Where Do We Go From Here (1945)

Bill (Fred MacMurray) is in love with Lucilla (June Haver), but Lucilla likes to romance soldiers, especially officers. Lucilla gives Bill a job washing dishes at the canteen. Bill is assisted by Sally (Joan Leslie) who loves him.
Bill is not getting anywhere with Lucilla so he goes home to his junk yard. Among the junk he finds a magic lamp. The genie (Gene Sheldon) grants him three wishes.
Bill, who is classed as 4f and is ineligible to join the army, wishes to join the army. But the Genie`s watch is broken and in a puff of smoke Bill is marching along in General Washington`s army at Valley Forge. Sally. (now Prudence) is working at the inn, and again falls in love with Bill. Bill goes as a spy to the inn where the Hessians are getting full on beer. Helping them to celebrate their superiority is Lucilla ( now Gretchen).

Bill is accused of being a spy and faces a firing squad, but the Genie turns up at the last minute and saves him. Bill decides that if he cannot be in the army he will be in the navy. But the Genie`s clock is still broken and Bill ends up on Christopher Columbus` ship. As he is about to be executed land (Cuba) is sighted. Christopher goes on to Cuba and Bill, in a dinghy fitted with a sail sets out for New York.

Bill lands at Manhattan and meets up with Chief Badger (Anthony Quinn) and Lucilla (now an indian maid ). Together Chief Badger and the indian maid conspire to cheat Bill by selling Manhattan Island to him.Another time warp and Bill is in Niew Amsterdam, where he is cheated out of ownership of Manhattan. He meets up with Sally ( now Katrina). Bill realises that he is in love with Sally and is not going to leave her behind this time. So he puts her into a horse and cart and gallops off with her. The Dutch are in pursuit, but the Genie has fixed his clock and Bill and Sally are back in the present.

The medical standard is lowered and Bill joins the army. Lucilla is given the flick and Bill is now with Sally.

There is some confusion about voice overs in this movie. According to the Dubbers List Sally Sweetland sang for June Haver, but according to IMDB Sally Sweetland sang for Joan Leslie.
Last edited by Fossy on February 26th, 2013, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

A still from "Where Do We Go From Here?":

( Larger view. )
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

[quote="CarrieLiz"]A still from "Where Do We Go From Here?":

She looks like a little girl, doesn`t she? And the surprised looks? Who wouldn`t be surprised, a gorgeous creature like that in one`s arms, and hubby walks in?
Nine years later they were together again, for keeps.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Sixth movie—The Dolly Sisters (1945)
Biopic of The Dolly Sisters who were born in Hungary, and were brought to U.S.A. as children.
As is usual with biopics the truth is stretched and sometimes overlooked.

Betty Grable as Jenny , the older sister (actually the sisters were identical twins)
John Payne as Harry Fox, who became Jenny`s Husband.
June Haver as Rosie, the younger sister.

As young girls they begin dancing in cafes. They are spotted by Harry, who arranges an audition with Oscar Hammerstein. Their success soon leaves Harry behind. Plenty of singing and dancing. The teamwork of Grable and Haver was just brilliant.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I remember this one being shown all the time when I was a kid on WFLD in Chicago. I just loved the combo of Haver and Grable.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Three Little Girls In Blue (1946)

This film is a remake of Three Blind Mice (1938), which was subsequently remade as Moon Over Miami (1941). It was also remade as How To Marry A Millionaire (1953).

In my opinion this was easily the best version.

At the turn of the century Sisters Pam (June Haver), Liz (Vivian Blaine) and Myra (Vera-Ellen) are chook farmers who inherit some money. Rather than being stuck on the farm they use the money to go to Atlantic City in search of rich husbands. Plenty of singing and dancing including the first presentation of You Make Me Feel So Young.

Vera-Ellen`s songs in this movie were dubbed by Carol Stewart.
Last edited by Fossy on February 26th, 2013, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh, I always love this story, I am not sure why. My favorite is Moon Over Miami, but one can also see hints of this in How to Marry a Millionaire as well. The numbers here are a notch above the standard for this time.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Wake Up And Dream (1946)

Jeff (John Payne) is a farmer who lives with his young sister Nella (Connie Marshall). Jeff is in love with Jenny (June Haver) But will not tell her because he has no money.He joined the Navy and sent Nella away for the duration. Nella is unhappy and returns home to be cared for by Henry (Clem Bevans)and Jenny. Clem has always wanted a Yacht so he built one in the back yard. His landlady Sara March (Charlotte Greenwood) sells the boat for rent arrears. It is fitted with wheels and is set to be towed away in the morning.

Nella is unhappy, runs away, and returns to Clem and Jenny. A telegram arrives saying that Jeff is missing in action. To console Nella, Clem tells her of an island where Jeff is probably waiting for her. When he gets his boat fixed up He will go looking for the island.

Clem and Jenny are on board the yacht when a storm hits, and during the night it is blown away. The search for Jeff is on. They meet up with Howard who gives them a tow. They find a creek and launch the yacht. A series of adventures follow, involving the Coast Guard, running aground and finding a mad professor who, among other things has crossed a peanut with a cucumber and grows it under water.

Eventually Jeff finds them and is reunited with Jenny and Nella.

How did he find them? How would I know, you can do anything in the movies!
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

I Wonder Who`s Kissing Her Now (1947) a biopic of Joseph E. Howard

Katie (June Haver) has grown up with Joe and is his adopted sister.

Joseph E. Howard (Joe) (Mark Stevens) with singing dubbed by Buddy Clark

Joe has written a song and has sold it for $50.00 to Lulu`s (Martha Stewart) manager, Jim (William Frawley). The song is published under Lulu`s name. Joe sees red and accosts Jim and Lulu. Jim tells Joe where to go, but Lulu, fearing adverse publicity takes steps to placate. Joe gives up his job and becomes Lulu`s pianist and songwriter.

Katie arrives with the news of her uncle`s death, planning to stay with Joe, but Lulu is adamant, Katie must go. Katie, who is, and has always been, hopelessly in love with Joe, stays and does her best to come between Lulu and Joe. She overhears a plot to cut Joe from part of the act because talent scouts have appeared to see him and not Lulu perform. Jim wants the scouts to see only Lulu. Katie accidentally on purpose cut the tie on Lulu`s Corset at the last minute. Katie tells Joe to go ahead with his specialty because Lulu has been delayed. The incident causes a breakup of Joe`s partnership with Lulu.

Joe now teams up and falls in love with Fritzi (Lenore Aubert). Again, Katie does her best to break them up. Will (Reginald Gardiner) appears. He has written a play and proposes that Joe converts it to a musical which will star Fritzi. The show is a success and plans are made to take it to Broadway. But Fritzi has shot through and married the show`s backer . Katie is to take over the role, but Joe says no, cancels the show, and walks out.

Joe travels the country picking up odd jobs as a pianist. Eventually he arrives in California en route to Alaska. He stops to buy some cigarettes, and hears the lady singing “I Wonder Who`s Kissing Her Now”. It is from the show at the local theatre. Someone has stolen his music and put words to it. Breathing fire Joe goes to the theatre and meets Will, who did not close the show, but went ahead with Katie as the star. Will also tells Joe that he is getting married, and has put royalties and Joe`s share of the profits aside for him, and Joe is now very rich. Joe watches Katie perform.

Katie takes Joe to her dressing room and asks him if it is alright for her to get married. Joe suddenly realises that she is not a kid anymore, but a woman—not just a woman, but a beautiful woman. She tells Joe that she is to marry Will. Joe asks, “ when did she fall in love with Will”? Katie replies, “when he did this”. Katie approaches Joe, puts her arms around him and kisses him passionately. Joe is now hopelessly in love with Katie.

They go out to tell Will that they are to marry, but before they can tell him Will introduces his fiancée. Katie has lied to him again, but Joe cannot reproach her while she is kissing him.
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

Oh, my favorite of June's musicals! As testament: transmission was wonky the day I snagged this one off the Fox Movie Channel. The reds and pinks blinked on the screen. It didn't matter. I fell into the romance of the movie. Every time.

Here's a lovely photo from the making of "I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now," of June and Gene Nelson rehearsing their dance, under the direction of Hermes Pan.

( And larger. )
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Scudda Hoo! Scudda Hay! (1948)

“Snug” ( Lon McCallister) is left with his stepmother and her son when his father goes back to sea . Snug goes to work for Roarer, whose daughter “Rad” ( June Haver) teases Snug by flirting with Snug`s stepbrother, Stretch. Roarer buys a pair of mules which will not work for him. To stop the mules from being beaten, Snug buys them.

Snug trains the mules. An attempt by Stretch to injure Snug so that he would be unable to work and forfeit the mules backfired because Snug turned the tables, gave Stretch a hiding and even told Rad she could have him. He did not want her any more. Rad realised that she had gone too far and then went out of her way to make sure Snug knew she was his and always had been. All ends well when Snug ends up with his father`s farm, the mules , and with Rad.

The film is described in IMDB as “utterly forgettable”, but I enjoyed it. I think I must be a bit kinky.