The Hustler

ken123

The Hustler

Post by ken123 »

I really like the first forty minutes or so of Robert Rossen's " The Hustler ", but after the opening pool room scences the film really drags and I lose interest. Am I right, or is there something seriously wrong with me ? I know that there is, but I am only refering to my feelings in regard to this film . Newman Gleason, Scott, and Myron McCormick are in top form, Piper Laurie, who I grew to like, is not good IMHO. :wink:
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I have problems with The Hustler as well. It's not the acting, it's the writing. There are several awkward moments and dead spots in that film. Also, some of the lines that Newman has to say during the last pool game are just stupid sounding. I think he does the best he can with the material, but that script needed a rewrite in my opinion.

I much prefer The Cincinnati Kid (1965).
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Ken, that is exactly my reaction to "The Hustler." The opening pool match between Newman and Gleason is electrifying, and the rest of the movie feels like watching paint dry.

give me "Cool Hand Luke" any day.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

"give me "Cool Hand Luke" any day." Me too! Yay, I got it to work! :lol:

[youtube][/youtube]
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I liked The Hustler when I watched it, I haven't seen it for a few years, I'd rather have it than Cool Hand Luke. I'd rather have Paul Newman than James Dean, I've read so many comparisons of the two and it is unfair to judge James Dean on three performances but I prefer Paul's style (and looks 8) )
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

I concur Alison. Jimmy was a different type altogether though. It would have been interesting to see how he grew as an actor had he lived. At the time he was somewhat typecast as the rebel.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard