Musical scores and film composers

charliechaplinfan

Re: Musical scores and film composers

Post by charliechaplinfan »

movieman1957 wrote:I found Carl Davis when he scored "The World At War." A 26 hour documentary from Thames Television on WWII. Since then there are many other films, among them Sunday night's broadcast of Keaton's "Our Hospitality." The man can write.
I love the music to The World at War, I love the series too, I'd forgotten Carl Davis wrote the music.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Does anyone remember the PBS documentary "THE HISTORY OF OIL"? Can someone tell me the composer for that...and where I might pick up a DVD of the documentary.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I love "Experiment in Terror", Theresa. You're right, it sets the perfect tone for that chilling movie. Speaking of television specials, I love the music Manicini did for "The Thorn Birds". I even have the CD, though it's for the sequel. I guess it was his last really big score.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Mancini did "THE THORNBIRDS"? Whoa...I never knew that.

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

CineMaven wrote:Mancini did "THE THORNBIRDS"? Whoa...I never knew that.

I didn't find it out until years later when I looked for a soundtrack. I was astonished. But I shouldn't have been.

I actually got to see a Fred Astaire tribute at the Hollywood Bowl where Mancini made a very frail appearance. This was when I was fresh and green in Hollywood, I have no recollection of the the details, only that it was great being at a truly classy event. Men in tuxes, ladies in cocktail dresses, soft weather and of course, incredible, beautiful music. Sigh.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like EXPERIMENT IN TERROR too. The small scale, "no frills" look merely adds to the suspense and the intimacy. It's a tight little thriller.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I walked to the Hollywood Bowl on my trip this April. It was closed but I walked around the area. I was there in the 70's. Your description is lovely, April. I can imagine how beautiful it all was for you.