'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by JackFavell »

I've been wondering where you got to, Ann! Nice to see you back.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The electricity is back on today and boy, a hot shower feels glorious after days without anything but tepid water. I feel almost human again. We still have a dead tree hanging off the wires, but if the electric guys aren't worrying, why should I?? I notified the landlord, the fire dept. and the village. Now it is a question of who the heck is responsible for this thing waiting to fall over next time we have a stiff wind.

The effects of this storm on many people in the tri-state area are so tragic. I am glad to see that the NY marathon was finally called off--what a bonehead decision to try to divert generators and personnel to that unnecessary event. I realize it would have generated income for the city, but, as the manager of a hotel in the area said, what choice is there when you need to give shelter and care to your neighbors?

Miss G., it sounds as though you didn't lose power, is that correct? JF, how lucky that your electricity stayed on. PT, I sure hope that you'll be able to get your groceries, laundry and rides back to normal soon. We went out and got two lanterns and batteries earlier this week so that next time we should be doing better (we discovered that some of our flashlights were duds once the storm knocked things out). Now to start hunting for a weather radio with a crank & a solar panel for the future.

The worst part of the last week for us: No trick or treaters came to our dark house!!! Too spooky, I guess.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

JackFavell wrote:I've been wondering where you got to, Ann! Nice to see you back.
I was just very busy meeting several deadlines, correcting proofs and running around Paris from archive to archive. With three books on the go, I was unable to attend SSO. Now I have a bit of a respite and I'll try to be more present.

Moira: Glad to see, you have the power back on! No electricity for several days must be nightmarish...
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Moira, I'm so glad you have power! It's really hard after about the third day, and especially if you have well water to pump. Losing water is the worst!

I'm glad you are back at the SSO. When you are gone, it's like the heart goes out of the place.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Ann Harding wrote:
JackFavell wrote:I've been wondering where you got to, Ann! Nice to see you back.
I was just very busy meeting several deadlines, correcting proofs and running around Paris from archive to archive. With three books on the go, I was unable to attend SSO. Now I have a bit of a respite and I'll try to be more present.

Moira: Glad to see, you have the power back on! No electricity for several days must be nightmarish...
Christine, I was getting worried about your absence. It's good to know you are just very busy. I hope you'll post more about the books you are working on when you have time.
JackFavell wrote:Moira, I'm so glad you have power! It's really hard after about the third day, and especially if you have well water to pump. Losing water is the worst!

I'm glad you are back at the SSO. When you are gone, it's like the heart goes out of the place.
Oh, come now. If you were to take off...that would be a loss! And yes, the "roughin' it" bit gets old after about three days when it isn't by choice. Normally my attitude would be "back to nature we go, skipping all the way"...until we want to do something civilized. At least I finished reading about four books this week.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Oh thanks Moira & Jack Favell, it's always nice to know I'm missed. :) I am really sorry, but I had to do an emergency translation that just took all my time, WEs included. And after the whole day on the computer, I didn't have the energy to type a review. I translated a really interesting book on the roots of Afro-American music in New Orleans. It's an academic study, but I learned a lot about the music played by Afro-Americans in the XVIIIth and XIXth century in the Caribbeans and in Louisiana as well as their living conditions. In case, you are interested, here is the original:
http://www.amazon.fr/Congo-Square-Afric ... 1935754033
On top, I had proofs to correct for the following: http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... 66#p117466.
Then I also had another translation, plus some research for a monography I have to write on a French film pioneer: Albert Capellani.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Busy busy! I'm glad you've had something interesting to occupy you, and that it wasn't some difficulty, Ann.

Moira, the thing I couldn't stand during Irene was having to go to bed when it got dark out. We were without power for a week or so. I'm not the biggest night owl in the world, but for some reason, it just seemed to make the day so short. Plus my dad stayed with us, and although that was fine, and our choice to invite him, it made it less comfortable. Everyone was on their best behavior, which is yucky when all you want to do is be a slob and whine. :D

I hope you were warm enough. I had washed a lot of blankets before Sandy hit, just in case. We've had a cold snap today, and I can't imagine how awful it must be to be cold, dirty and without hope of getting power on any time soon.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Wow, Christine. You are a cross-cultural wonder. Have you ever been to New Orleans? I haven't been there since Hurricane Katrina, but it was an extraordinary place. Did you have anything to do with the boxed set of the Albert Capallani films that was released about a year and a half ago? Is your translation of Kevin Brownlow's book on Gance's Napoleon available now? Your translation of Brownlow's How It Happened Here sounds so exciting.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I'm glad to know Moira has electricity restored. Most of Manhattan has electricity as of last night, but there are still a few thousand Con Edison customers in Manhattan without power as of this morning. The other boroughs, the suburbs, and New Jersey are another story. There are have been good strides made in those areas to restore power, but it will probably be another week or two before they are mostly all restored.

The gasoline shortages are being addressed. New York Harbor has been re-opened for the tankers, and some rules and regulations such as regarding taxes and foreign-flagged vessels have been suspended for the time being to speed up delivery. New Jersey is now on a odd/even distribution system, to try to cut the long lines where people queue up for a few hours only to be turned away once the station runs out. The military tried to distribute some gasoline for free, ten gallons per car, but were so overwhelmed by the number of takers they had to stop.

Public transport is being restored more and more, which is great. I continued to have issues with car service canceling my reservations this week, but I've managed to get to the office and back home okay. My laundry was ready for pickup last night, and nothing was lost, thank goodness. The small laundry on my block reopened yesterday, and I dropped off my winter jacket. With the temperatures dropping as they are, I will need it next week.

The count of the fatalities in NYC continues to climb as flooded and damaged/destroyed buildings are searched and bodies are found. I'm not sure what the number is right now, probably around fifty, just here in the city. Probably many more fatalities that will never be counted, such as the homeless people who lived in the subway tunnels, most of whom probably drowned when the tunnels flooded.

There is so much devastation I can't keep talking about it, or even reading about it. What's happened in places like Staten Island and the Rockaways in Queens goes beyond imagination.

This page at the NY Times web site, which I linked earlier in the week, continues to be a good source for updates for those interested:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012 ... sandy.html

And this article addresses the idea of changes that might be made to protect ourselves from future tidal surges:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/04/nyreg ... -time.html

A movie popped into my mind this evening, 2004's The Day After Tomorrow. People say it's an example of life imitating art. I'm going to watch it this evening, if I can get through the whole thing without freaking out.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Really glad that all of you are okay. Disasters like this are never easy and the days that follow can be especially trying without basics like electricity, hot water, etc. Just know that we are all thinking of you and sending you positive thoughts!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

moirafinnie wrote:Wow, Christine. You are a cross-cultural wonder. Have you ever been to New Orleans? I haven't been there since Hurricane Katrina, but it was an extraordinary place. Did you have anything to do with the boxed set of the Albert Capallani films that was released about a year and a half ago? Is your translation of Kevin Brownlow's book on Gance's Napoleon available now? Your translation of Brownlow's How It Happened Here sounds so exciting.
I wished I knew New Orleans. But alas, I've never been there. The Napoléon is coming out on December 3rd. As for Capellani, I had nothing to do with the boxset. But next year, the Cinémathèque is going to do a Capellani season (about time!). So my book has to be ready for it. The research for it is really fascinating. Capellani has never been properly researched so far. So I am starting with a blank page so to speak.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Moira, glad to hear you have hot water again! I remember taking "bird baths" during the winter months in texas when our pipes would freeze and it would be days before they could be repaired. NOT fun. I'm very fortunate, this time I lost no power or suffered any damage. I think I will be investing in one of those LED lanterns I see advertised on TV, though, and maybe one of those transistor radios, too. It really makes you realize the downside of modern living, what with our insatiable need to be "plugged in". I think I would go crazy without internet or TV, lol!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I am happy to see most of our New Yorkers ... starting to be alive again. This has been an interesting thread reading about the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy ... a.k.a. Frankenstorm.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Although the every-day lives of many New Yorker may be close to normal again now, this is not the case for all of us. Beyond the facts that electricity is not yet restored for many, that parts of mass transit are not yet up and running, and that gasoline shortages are affecting the ability to drive cars and to operate generators, lie the irreparable damages -- the loss of loved ones, of personal possessions, of homes, and even of whole neighborhoods. These survivors have to rebuild their lives from scratch, with limited assistance. New York has not faced such devastation in at least a century, if ever before.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Poster posted on a subway entrance:

Hurricane Sandy...some warm-up!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com