'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
ChiO

Re: 'Round the World Weather Report

Post by ChiO »

Another new Chicago weather record -- 320 consecutive days without a recorded snowfall of an inch or more.

Predicted high for tomorrow -- 60 degrees (that's Fahrenheit for those who live anywhere other than in the U.S.A. -- convert to Celsius by dividing by 47, multiplying by 3.1476689, adding 13 and waving your Kindle over your head while clucking like a chicken), which will be a record for the date, I believe.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Gosh.

I hope we don't go metric. Why, why...it ain't civilized! How can we use a system used by people who drive on the wrong side of the road?
( Besides, I don't have a Kindle. ) :shock:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I do! I did everything you said to do but I still can't figure it out.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Another new Chicago weather record -- 320 consecutive days without a recorded snowfall of an inch or more

And a baseball team that goes to the play-offs two years in a row, and doesn't win a single game! Welcome to Chicago!
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

It's 15 degrees F tonight in Mmmmanhhhhatttannnn. . . . :o
At least the winds have died down.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I feel your pain, PT, minus 2 windchill last night. Brrrrrrrr. Stay tucked up inside with a warm meal and a great movie!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Ex cyclone Oswald is now moving south. The cyclone hit the western coast of Cape York Peninsular. Although the cyclone weakened when it hit land a monsoon front was formed and moved slowly south. The Bruce Highway south of Cairns is cut in at least four places following rainfall of 700mm over three days. Over 8000 homes are without power. Here at Mount Sheridan all is well, and there were no real problems. My daughter, who lives at Mooroobool, about 10km from here has been without power. One of the poles supporting the sail cloth over her swimming pool was snapped by the wind, and she has been unable to get on the roof to free it because of the wind. The rain cools things down a bit. The temperature is down to 24 deg. about 75 deg in the old.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The Chicago record for consecutive days without a recorded snowfall of an inch or more continues to lengthen. We're at 324 or 325 days now.

It snowed yesterday...but not an inch.

Prediction of 2" starting tonight. Man, not even worth pulling out the snow shovel and salt.

Had a couple days of sub-zero wind chills, but overall it's been scary-nice. This is really the extension of a drought, and the mild temperatures have brought some bulb growth waaayyyy too early.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm glad everyone is OK in your part of the world, Fossy. That must be tremendously difficult, having that sailcloth down and whipping in the wind right near the house. At least there aren't cold temps to go with those power outages.

ChiO, I laugh when a couple inches falls around here. We've had this guy going door to door with the shovel asking if he can do our driveway... I've had to tell him no, there just isn't enough snow to warrant it, and besides I can do my own. a scrape across the driveway and it's done, though it's a pretty long one.

We're at 7 degrees this morning. Luckily the wind is nonexistent. But boy after my walk this morning I thought my face would crack!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

ChiO wrote:The Chicago record for consecutive days without a recorded snowfall of an inch or more continues to lengthen. We're at 324 or 325 days now.

It snowed yesterday...but not an inch.

Prediction of 2" starting tonight. Man, not even worth pulling out the snow shovel and salt.

Had a couple days of sub-zero wind chills, but overall it's been scary-nice. This is really the extension of a drought, and the mild temperatures have brought some bulb growth waaayyyy too early.

ChiO, it sounds like you are having the winter we had last year. I had daffodils and crocus up in late January, early February, and we lost a ton of trees between the ongoing drought and the too early spring, followed by a hard freeze.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Around here when we have drought conditions, the trees make it through the drought part, then die when the water actually comes. It's odd but I think they drown.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Fossy:

Are you near the areas having the heat wave?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

From Reuters, Fire and Ice!

"Chicago Fire Department Lieutenant Charley De Jesus walks around an ice-covered warehouse that caught fire Tuesday night in Chicago."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

It's pretty cold in Bluegrass country. Fortunately I have a warm dog!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Professional Tourist wrote:From Reuters, Fire and Ice!

"Chicago Fire Department Lieutenant Charley De Jesus walks around an ice-covered warehouse that caught fire Tuesday night in Chicago."
Thanks for sharing this unique Photo PT!