What are you listening to?

Chit-chat, current events
NoShear

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by NoShear »

Allhallowsday wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 7:30 pm
It's such a shame that the commercial jingles were largely abandoned on Side Two, but there's still listening value heard during the second side, Allhallowsday.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

I had more WHO on vinyl. I like a lot of SELL OUT but not the ENTWISTLE songs.
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

Allhallowsday wrote: April 4th, 2024, 2:52 pm I had more WHO on vinyl. I like a lot of SELL OUT but not the ENTWISTLE songs.
As with "Great Expectations", a high school required read/view, the Dickensian "Silas Stingy" eventually gained in favor for me, Allhallowsday:

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

NEIL YOUNG After The Gold Rush

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

NoShear wrote: April 5th, 2024, 11:23 am ... As with "Great Expectations", a high school required read/view, the Dickensian "Silas Stingy" eventually gained in favor for me, Allhallowsday:...
I first read GREAT EXPECTATIONS in 1974 or 5 in jr hi our teacher showed the 1945 DAVID LEAN film and the class tittered every time the word "gay" was used in the film (3 or 4 times). I suppose much of the class never read the book having seen the film! Great book, maybe the greatest English film, I read the book twice. "Mingy stingy" ain't even OLIVER! :lol:
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

NEIL YOUNG Decade

For 70s, I forgot NEIL YOUNG BIG STAR NEW YORK DOLLS... my favorite STONES albums are mostly 70s...
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

Allhallowsday wrote: April 5th, 2024, 2:28 pm
NoShear wrote: April 5th, 2024, 11:23 am ... As with "Great Expectations", a high school required read/view, the Dickensian "Silas Stingy" eventually gained in favor for me, Allhallowsday:...
I first read GREAT EXPECTATIONS in 1974 or 5 in jr hi our teacher showed the 1945 DAVID LEAN film and the class tittered every time the word "gay" was used in the film (3 or 4 times). I suppose much of the class never read the book having seen the film! Great book, maybe the greatest English film, I read the book twice. "Mingy stingy" ain't even OLIVER! :lol:
Reminded me of the titters elicited by some Shakespearean actresses in those school reads/views, Allhallowsday.
Last edited by NoShear on April 5th, 2024, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

PINK FLOYD The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

NoShear

Post by NoShear »

Allhallowsday wrote: April 5th, 2024, 7:27 pm PINK FLOYD The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

Of a pair of your recent posts, the following song was likened to early Pink Floyd if I correctly recall reading, Allhallowsday:

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

NoShear wrote: April 5th, 2024, 7:34 pm ... Of a pair of your recent posts, the following song was likened to early Pink Floyd if I correctly recall reading, Allhallowsday:

I think THE WHO influenced FLOYD more likely, the organ is reminiscent of the first 2 FLOYD but those albums aren't great for me. THE WHO might've inspired SYD BARRETT...?
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

Allhallowsday wrote: April 5th, 2024, 9:59 pm
NoShear wrote: April 5th, 2024, 7:34 pm ... Of a pair of your recent posts, the following song was likened to early Pink Floyd if I correctly recall reading, Allhallowsday:

I think THE WHO influenced FLOYD more likely, the organ is reminiscent of the first 2 FLOYD but those albums aren't great for me. THE WHO might've inspired SYD BARRETT...?
Pink Floyd was a house band at the UFO where Pete Townshend discovered Arthur Brown for the WHO's Track label, so it's entirely possible that "Relax" was inspired by the organ-drenched Floyd.
Keep in mind that THE WHO SELL OUT was the WHO's first slab where the organ is somewhat prominent as an instrument, and the record wasn't released until late in 1967. Creative edge to Pink Floyd here, I think, Allhallowsday.
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

NoShear wrote: April 5th, 2024, 11:45 pm ... Pink Floyd was a house band at the UFO where Pete Townshend discovered Arthur Brown for the WHO's Track label, so it's entirely possible that "Relax" was inspired by the organ-drenched Floyd.
Keep in mind that THE WHO SELL OUT was the WHO's first slab where the organ is somewhat prominent as an instrument, and the record wasn't released until late in 1967. Creative edge to Pink Floyd here, I think, Allhallowsday.
Sounds right. Though I think cross pollination happened, I prefer FLOYD.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

BILL EVANS TRIO Sunday At The Village Vanguard

sagebrush

Post by sagebrush »

Because April 7th is the birthday of Billie Holiday, "Strange Fruit."