Saving VHS to SD Cards via a Digital Converter?

Chit-chat, current events
Maricatrin

Saving VHS to SD Cards via a Digital Converter?

Post by Maricatrin »

I have a bunch of old VHS tapes (non-commercial) I plan to convert to digital format, but I want to leave my computer out of the actual recording process; it's got enough of a workload already.

So, those machines that record from your VCR and onto an SD card sound like a good bet at the moment. My computer takes SD cards, and I could later edit the already taped films using my computer.

These devices range greatly in price; I would prefer not to go over $100.00 though.

I'm considering VuPoint Solutions Digital Video Converter, http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... U=16640832, it's $80.00 ... only has two reviews, but both are positive. The downside for me is the fact that the included software won't be compatible with my computer. However, I assume this won't effect the performance of the machine itself (I simply can't find one with Windows Seven compatible software, and I'm not sure I need it.)

I don't know if any members have ever used one of these devices, but if you have, I'd love to hear what brand/make it was, and whether you liked it or not. Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaricatrinsMusicVideos
markfp

Re: Saving VHS to SD Cards via a Digital Converter?

Post by markfp »

I do all my converting from VHS to DVD so I'm not sure what to tell you about the process. However, if it were me, I wouldn't be too quick to buy some electronic device from a store who doesn't carry electronics as one of it's major lines. Same as I'd never order something like that from one of those "As Seen On TV" ads. Two positive user reviews wouldn't be enough to convince me that the product was good. How would I know they weren't just shilling for the manufacturer?

My suggestion would be to visit a store like Best Buy, Staples, or a local computer store and explain to them what you want to do and see what they say and what products they have. (remember, you don't have to buy from them) Then you can make an informed decision.

Do you have teenagers in your family or as neighbors who are into computers? If so try asking them. That might be the simplest way.

Good luck.
Maricatrin

Post by Maricatrin »

Hello Mark, thanks for taking the time to give some advice! I actually had made a purchase a day or so before your post, but you might be interested to know that I didn't get the machine I linked to. I reasoned that I wasn't going to pay that kind of money for something I was so unsure of. Instead, I found an almost identical device on Amazon that had many more reviews and a much lower price tag.

The suggestion for asking in-store is a good one, but I had some really bad luck with a camera I bought that way, so I'm always ready to try something else before taking that route.
markfp wrote: Do you have teenagers in your family or neighbors who are into computers? If so try asking them. That might be the simplest way.
Good luck.
Actually, I'm not yet thirty, and I'm really the only member of my family so far who's into this branch of the digital world (a lot of our neighbors don't even own a computer; you might say I live in a bit of a backwater.)

Thanks again,
Mary-Kate
Maricatrin

Post by Maricatrin »

As an update for the curious or anyone else who might be interested in a similar product, I wound up getting this [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024U ... 01_s00_i00] version of VuPoint Solutions Digital Video Converter on Amazon (it was on sale, so with shipping it was less than thirty dollars) and I'm quite pleased with it so far, with the following remarks to offer:

The quality you get is pretty much that of the tapes you're converting. It won't upgrade VHS prints; it's a way to preserve the prints in their current state.

It's simple to hook up, you'll just need to know where your input and output plugins are on the VCR and TV set.

I have Windows 7, so I can't use the software that comes with the machine, but the files can be transferred to any computer that supports the file format (AVI seems to be the default.)

It accepts nothing larger than a 4 GB camera card. This will record about 2 hours of film. If you have a computer nearby to save the files to as you go along, this is not a problem. Just drop and drag, delete, and record the next film.

When formatting the camera card, never use "quick format". Make it go the long way around.

My VHS to digital project has hit a snag at the moment, however, due to my Pinnacle Studio 15 finally going completely Rogue and doing it’s best to wreck my system. Right now, I’m backing up all my files prior to trying a complete system restore, or taking the computer into the shop. (Fortunately the two largest editing projects that I lost were principally about heroes and/or battling adversity, so it didn’t seem quite right to get too upset about the loss. :wink: )