This Is the END

Chit-chat, current events
ChiO

Re: This Is the END

Post by ChiO »

Excellent selection, JF (though, for future reference, I prefer not to start the day with tears in my eyes).

Another that uses that concept from its title through the final scene, is my favorite of the English Master's movies:

A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh of course! Gosh that one should have been on the top of my list!

And how about it's American cousin, Here Comes Mr. Jordan? - another rebirth story.

Sorry if Masha already mentioned this one?
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Masha wrote:
MissGoddess wrote: THE UNSEEN
I feel those are all excellent movies concerning death.

I must wonder if there should be a "before the movie begins" category for movies in which a death informs the movie while not truly being in it.
Rebecca (1940)
Psycho (1960)
Repentance (1984)
The Hound of the Baskervilles (many incarnations)
Hamlet (many incarnations)

I am sure there are many others but my brain is being stubborn and has been refusing to cooperate since I contemplated having a trial separation from it due to irreconcilable differences.
Yes! And let's not forget the wildest "before" of them all: "Sunset Boulevard." Not often an already-dead man gets to tell the story. There are others, however, any suggestions to add to another category "Story told by an already-dead narrator?"
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Well, as Eric Idle would say, "He's not quite dead" (yet): DOUBLE INDEMNITY and POINT BLANK
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wasn't Kevin Spacey dead in American Beauty? Or am I imagining it? I haven't seen it in a long time.
tinker

Post by tinker »

Some of the movies mentioned always leave me distraught.

Just about every death in THe Searchers including Scar's is monumentally disturbing, although for deaths that you never see Martha's and Lucy's must be two of the most disturbing ever filmed.

From The Princess Bride,when Wesley is mostly dead.
It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

Inigo Montoya: What's that?

Miracle Max: Go through his clothes and look for loose change
One of the movie deaths that never ceases to make me angry is Tom Robinson in To Kill a Mockingbird probably because despite everything Atticus did it was inevitable.

And on Gregory Peck and inevitable deaths Jimmy Ringo in The Gunfighter. It always leaves me just wishing. A littl like the The Shootist much as I love the movie I can only watch it in certain moods because I always find something noble and therefore tragic about John Bernard Books or maybe its the man who played him.

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Masha wrote:Does one of the categories fit circumstances when and where the wrong person dies?

I had an inspiration of two movies in which that occurs but it is sad to say the I do not remember them now and can offer only: Murder on a Honeymoon (1935) as an example. It is the intended victim's bodyguard who is murdered because he had taken his employer's identity and the murderers had not seen a picture of the victim.

I must wonder if you might create branch categories to cover method of murder.

A stage or movie prop gun which should be loaded with blanks but it instead holds true ammunition is a plot staple. Murder at Midnight (1931) is an early example. It is suspected also in: The Death Kiss (1932) but it was a hidden weapon which was remote-fired during a scene which involved the shooting of blanks.
You've already mentioned "Dial M for Murder" in another context, but it certainly fits in a "wrong person" category. It isn't often that the innocent victim kills the diabolical murderer. I guess we should all keep a large pair of scissors next to the phone.

Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

EDITED - A deathly new category.

Ro - I loved your comments on “The Sixth Sense.” You aptly described this onion peeled movie. When you think the film is about one thing, it’s about another thing all together. And another thing ALL together. What a great movie. I like films that hide plots in plain sight.

ChiO - I like your “Death Is” encapsulations. Pithy and on point. Brevity. I should try it sometime.

Lucky - Your including “Sunset Boulevard” suggestion is brilliant. We get the whole movie from a dead man. Can you top that?

So let me begin. You all remember this guy?

Well, he’ll be back.

Please tell me what category this would go under and I'll edit it in; I’d hate to create Category #48.
[u]ROHANAKA[/u] wrote:#19 Murder Most Foul this would be for all movies that are about "murder" as the main plot in the story. This could be your "missing" category Miss Maven for the one you weren't sure how to define ha. We can just add a "Marriage Clause" in there as a subheading.

MURDER MOST FOUL: THE MARRIAGE CLAUSE

Divorce can be a sticky wicket. You have to get lawyers involved, monies exchange hands and you have to admit to the world that you made a bone-headed mistake and married the wrong person. But why pay any thing, when you can just bump them off.....

CECIL KELLAWAY in “THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE”

He’s a nice jolly guy who owns a roadside diner; marries a hot-to-trot blonde who’s waaaaaay too young for him. Big mistake, for him. She’s itching to go especially when she meets a younger man. If only her husband could be put out of the way. She could have the diner and her itch would be scratched. Look at Lana in the shot. Whew!

( SIDE NOTE: )

( 1 ) Good help is hard to find...so keep looking.

TOM POWERS in “DOUBLE INDEMNITY”

If your first wife dies under suspicious circumstances, why on Earth would you marry the nurse that took care of her? Oh I know...ankle bracelets. < Sigh! >

( 1 ) Read everything first before you sign.
( 2 ) Take a taxi to the train station.

ALAN HALE in “THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT”

Anyone could have told you "Skipper" you marry Ida Lupino at your own risk. She’s like touching a hot poker. She’s a pistol and she’s aimed at you. You were her rebound man, but you didn’t have a clue. Your friend is more loyal to you than your wife. ( I love love love how Ida goes down in flames on the stand: “The doors made me do it!” That maniacal laugh! Ida, ida idolize ya!! )

( 1 ) Don’t fall asleep with the motor running.

KASEY ROGERS in “STRANGERS ON A TRAIN”

Guy doesn’t love her anymore; sort of moving up in class with the Mighty Roman. But this shrewish wife knows a good thing when she sees it. And she won’t let him go. Honey, ya should’ve let him go. See, your husband’s met Bruno and...

( 1 ) Don’t flirt with a man while you’re already on a date with two guys.
( 2 ) Boys don’t make passes at girls who wear glasses...they kill them.

SHELLEY WINTERS in “A PLACE IN THE SUN”

Shelley caused me the most agita because I didn’t really want her to die, but she had to. She stood in the way of pure idealized love. Monty couldn’t afford the baby’s mama drama. Poor Shell, she’s in awful spot.

( 1 ) Don’t stand up in a row boat.
( 2 ) As Beyonce says: “If he wants it then he should have put a ring on it.”
( 3 ) Girls, you don’t stand a chance if Elizabeth’s waiting in the wings.
( 4 ) Roles like this get you Oscar nods.

WRONGFUL PROSECUTION OR MOB VIOLENCE

BRIAN DONLEVY in “THE BIG COMBO”

Donlevy betrays his boss, so the henchmen bump him off in some garage. Donlevy doesn’t hear a thing AND neither does the audience when the henchmen remove his hearing aid.

Hey Miss G., great to see you here. I liked your examples, and you really hit home with me when you talk of Scarlet seeing her mother’s body. I agree. The scene that also gets me was Scarlett at the hospital seeing the soldier getting his leg amputated. The revulsion on her face was amazing. We didn’t need to see anything more. His screams and her revulsion. ( Dang it...she deserved that Oscar didn't she?! ) And you came up a wonderful category to add to the proceedings:
[u][color=#FF0000]MISS[/color][/u] [u][color=#FF0000]GODDESS[/color][/u] wrote: I will begin my suggestions with a few "UNSEEN DEATHS" that make a HUGE impact on me emotionally. My only criteria is though we may see the dearly departed's "remains", we do not see their demise.

So to add my suggestion to your suggestion, I’ve come up with the ghostly presence of my own:

‘MARY MEREDITH’ in “THE UNINVITED”

Mary Mary, quite contrary. She certainly wreaks havoc on a young woman’s life. And has the “undying” misplaced devotion of her friend.

TOO ROTTTEN TO LIVE / JUST DESSERTS ( He deserves the extra "T" in rotten. )

Look at him:

ANTHONY HEALD in “THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS”

No no...the guy on the left. He played Dr. Chilton - head of the mental institution Hannibal Lechter was locked up in. He torments poor Dr. Lechter with his petty tyranny back in the institution. By the film's end, Lechter is on the loose on a balmy island in the Carribbean...with a nice bottle of Chianti. And the good doctor? Oh he's about to become the main course. Bon appetit. :evil:
Last edited by CineMaven on February 14th, 2014, 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Let me attempt to tie some together or, as Barton Keyes would say, wrapped up in tissue paper with... pink ribbons on it.

As payback to JackFavell for making me start yesterday with tears:

BAMBI's mother, and

'Twas beauty who killed the beast...KING KONG

Now, Alice Tripp (yes, she did) in the water and Joe Gillis, dead, floating in the water, and weeping over King Kong, a dead monster...

He was some kind of a man..., Hank Quinlan.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, thanks a lot. I was already in tears at Bambi's mother....but you had to bring up King Kong.... :( :(

Masha - isn't there a similar mistaken backstage murder in Journal of a Crime with Ruth Chatterton?

I have two more to add to the UNSEEN - deaths that happen before the story begins but set everything rolling:

Gaslight
- the death of Ingrid Bergman's mother is really what triggers everything. Her portrait hangs eerily upstairs in the attic, watching over all that happens in that house.

Deadline at Dawn
- well, she's not QUITE unseen... Lola Lane bites the dust in the first five minutes of the movie. We then follow her would-be killer around the city to discover what really happened to her.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Masha - I was surprised at Journal of a Crime, it struck me as quite powerful.

kingrat -

The scene in One Eyed Jacks where Brando kicks the table or chair always makes me laugh at first, but he pulls it off as serious by the time he's done. Sometimes violence can actually be funny when it's unexpected.

You've reminded me of a scene in Nicholas Nickleby, the 8 hour filmed stage play, where Nicholas has joined the Crummles' acting troupe. They are playing Romeo and Juliet. As an actor yourself, I think you'll enjoy their version.

It starts at about the 41 minute mark:

[youtube][/youtube]
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Thanks, Jack, for reminding us of this uproarious scene from "Nicholas Nickleby" and giving us a chance to relive it.

I remember reading somewhere that Dickens didn't entirely invent this nonsense. Seems at the time "fixing" the classics to have happy endings was quite common. Imagine what could be done with "Hamlet" or "Macbeth" to bring all the corpses back to life for the final curtain.

What a pity there aren't more extended productions of the classic novels. To the contrary, I fear the attention span is shrinking with all the sensory overload we're subjected to. Soon we'll have the Minute Moby Dick-ens.

Noticed that one name at the end was Jeffery Dench, so had to check with IMDb. Turns out he's the older brother of the fabulous Judy Judy Judy!

Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]