When things which we expect become else.

Chit-chat, current events
Lucky Vassall

Re: When things which we expect become else.

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Masha wrote:Gambit (1966) shows a perfect caper. It is smooth and dignified and the extensive research and planning assures easy success. Then it is at the twenty-eight minute mark that we see that that is only the plan and the true action which follows is far different in nearly all ways.

Unfaithfully Yours (1948) shows us several perfect procedures to perform murder. Then we see how imperfect is the execution of the crime.

I must wonder if there are other movies in which we are shown what should be and then are shown what might happen in real life.

It is similar in nature that Dial M for Murder (1954) contains a moving description of the steps to perform a perfect murder and we see it in our mind's eye. We see then that what occurs is far different.
An interesting subject. I hope we'll all have a lot of fun with it. "Unfaithfully Yours" was always a favorite of mine. Shame the remake was so weak.

I remember being enjoyably surprised by "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty," the first time we learn it's all far from the truth.

And then there's the insane imaginations of Tom Ewell in "Seven Year Itch."

The classic example of the unexpected, of course, is "Psycho." Hitch set us up as no director has ever dared to do before or since, and then, halfway through the film, pulls the rug out from under us. Don't you wish you could go back to the first time you saw the film and didn't expect the surprise?
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
CineMaven

Re: When things which we expect become else.

Post by CineMaven »

"THE SIXTH SENSE" also had a delicious surprise. As did "THE USUAL SUSPECT."
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com