Want to Introduce Someone to Classic Film. Suggestions?

Chit-chat, current events
norfious

Want to Introduce Someone to Classic Film. Suggestions?

Post by norfious »

So I have a friend who really likes 1980's sci-fi and adventure movies. He has shown a great interest in watching more classic movies, after hearing me talk about them.
Since I haven't seen too many 80's movies, and he hasn't seen many classic films, we decided to do a "movie swap" and give each other movies to watch and then discuss them.

The trouble is, our tastes differ so much and I want to suggest movies that he will like. I've already given him "Duck Soup" to watch, which he wasn't entirely keen on (much to my dismay). When asked for another movie, I blurted out "My Man Godfrey," as it is a great comedy and one of my favorites; however, I am now wondering if he'd enjoy it. It's more of a "chick flick," I suppose.

For people who haven't seen too many black-and-white films, watching some of the greats is probably a strange experience. Not only was filmmaking so different (the Hays code, technical limitations, etc), but movies were more dialogue-intensive. Many people who have only seen more "modern" films have expressed boredom when watching golden-era pictures, just because they aren't used to them.

So I want to find some good classics that this person will enjoy, and that can lead the way to better appreciation of black-and-white cinema. Basically, I want to gradually ease him into it, which I think will be more effective than just throwing early talkie gems at him.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking maybe some Bogie film noir or gangster pictures? White Heat, perhaps?
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
Professional Tourist

Re: Want to Introduce Someone to Classic Film. Suggestions?

Post by Professional Tourist »

Dodsworth might be a good choice. Despite the production code it's a rather frankly adult drama. And great performances by Walter Huston, Ruth Chatterton, and Mary Astor.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Maybe there are some ideas here.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Professional Tourist

For a color film, The Man Who Knew Too Much with James Stewart and Doris Day might be well received. Good suspenseful story, good performances, and excellent location settings.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I would agree with Masha. You have to find where a person is at and connect at that point. I would not expect a fan of SciFi, or Adventure to like Duck Soup, or My Man Godfrey. There are plenty of great classic films within those two genres--begin there.
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Looks like you're getting some good suggestions. One idea I had was to find a good classic adventure story, perhaps Mutiny on the Bounty, then assuming your friend enjoys that, you could introduce another Gable picture in a very different area, something like It Happened One Night. That approach might start an interest in the wide range of pictures actors made in the past. Now it seems to be Either/Or: Either he makes action pictures and nothing else. Or he doesn't make action pictures but makes anything else (and doesn't get much work).
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Rereading Masha's great sci fi list, I thought of another good addition to it: Fantastic Voyage (1966).
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

To me, I would go to TCM Web-Site and sit down with your friends - and introduce them to great movies and pick one like a great WAR movie - Twelve O'Clock High (1949) that is coming on tomorrow on TCM and sit down with them at 9am Pacific and Noon Eastern and watch the movie together and discuss it afterwards ... that how I would do it.

Sometimes, its helps to make it a breakfast/lunch date with them and its a great way to get them started on Movies that we all enjoy so much ... That's how I would approach it ... by inviting them earnestly and doing it together! ... And share the tools that you enjoy using so much - My favorite tool is to check the TCM's Daily Schedule on a daily basis and start reading the movies that's showing that day.

I do that with my family and friends ...
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

North By Northwest
It Happened One Night (might not work if he thinks of it as a "chick flick" though). This is the movie that definitively made me a classic film fan.
The Thin Man
Charade (I have to suggest it!)
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Niagara
norfious

Post by norfious »

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone!

And I somehow totally forgot about that other thread, ChiO. Thanks for bringing it up.
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
Professional Tourist

One more suggestion from me if your friend likes action/adventure movies -- Captains Courageous (1937).