TCM Message Boards Announcement

Chit-chat, current events
Bronxgirl48

Re: TCM Message Boards Announcement

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I use Firefox.

I'll try your suggestions, Goddess -- thanks! Wish me luck!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Oh, noooooooooooo!

When I hit either of those links, I get "Firefox can't find server", and "Problem Loading Page" :evil: :evil: :evil:

Frank told me to click on History and check cookies and cache, whatever THEY are, then clear it. He didn't necessarily think this would solve my problem but might be a "simple" first step. I followed his instructions, but nothing happened.

Hope this doesn't mean I will have to spend all night talking to an overseas Dell representative while he/she talks me through the troubleshooting process. I'm constantly having to ask them to repeat what they're saying, without sounding politically incorrect, lol.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Do you have trouble with all internet pages/sites access or only TCM and photos? Because you seem to be able to post.

I would test another browser first to see if it works or does the same thing. If it acts the same way, then you may have to call Dell---there may be some update that needs to be made to your browser or on your computer. Or better yet, do you have a friend or someone you work with who knows a little about computers?
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Barb--please look for my PM which I hope helps a bit. Sorry for all the vexation.

Don't we all feel this way sometimes?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

:D :D :D
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

It's been an interesting discussion so far and why they adopt a FORUM BOARD like us and be done with? :)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Rita Hayworth wrote:It's been an interesting discussion so far and why they adopt a FORUM BOARD like us and be done with? :)
Interesting thought, Erik. The new TCM Forum has incorporated quite a few of the features we have enjoyed for some time here via the phpBB code that underlies this message board. As most of our patient members here know well--nothing's perfect when tech stuff is involved--especially when changes are made!

I think part of the challenge they are facing at TCM is the sheer number of people involved (there are over 41,000 registered members) and almost 1 million posts to transition to the new format. [In contrast, we only have 398 members, with only 138,432 posts to oversee]. In addition, people who access their forum are doing so via all kinds of computers, tablets, iphones, browsers, ISP connections and levels of computing sophistication. It is a daunting task for a relatively small staff to handle all the issues involved, but I really do think that the new TCM board is going to be a marked improvement for them, once members get used to it and bugs get ironed out.

In reality, of course, THIS board would not exist if various members hadn't become friends on the TCM Forum a decade ago. We decided to build this site to keep things friendly and pursue our interests such as the Guest Authors and other things. Most of us who began this board have continued to visit and sometimes post on the TCM boards despite various issues over there. We have always been grateful for the kind support we've received from the TCM forum members and staff and our many guests who have also had ties to TCM--so we really wish them well and understand why we have so many members here who want and need to discuss new aspects of the TCM Forum on this board.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moirafinnie wrote:
Rita Hayworth wrote:It's been an interesting discussion so far and why they adopt a FORUM BOARD like us and be done with? :)
Interesting thought, Erik. The new TCM Forum has incorporated quite a few of the features we have enjoyed for some time here via the phpBB code that underlies this message board. As most of our patient members here know well--nothing's perfect when tech stuff is involved--especially when changes are made!

I think part of the challenge they are facing at TCM is the sheer number of people involved (there are over 41,000 registered members) and almost 1 million posts to transition to the new format. [In contrast, we only have 398 members, with only 138,432 posts to oversee]. In addition, people who access their forum are doing so via all kinds of computers, tablets, iphones, browsers, ISP connections and levels of computing sophistication. It is a daunting task for a relatively small staff to handle all the issues involved, but I really do think that the new TCM board is going to be a marked improvement for them, once members get used to it and bugs get ironed out.

In reality, of course, THIS board would not exist if various members hadn't become friends on the TCM Forum a decade ago. We decided to build this site to keep things friendly and pursue our interests such as the Guest Authors and other things. Most of us who began this board have continued to visit and sometimes post on the TCM boards despite various issues over there. We have always been grateful for the kind support we've received from the TCM forum members and staff and our many guests who have also had ties to TCM--so we really wish them well and understand why we have so many members here who want and need to discuss new aspects of the TCM Forum on this board.

Those numbers that you've threw me are mind-numbing - I never knew that many Members that over 41,000 strong and over 1 million posts to transition and all that it is a daunting task for those whose managed it over there. When, you wrote this post and I understand the frustrations of all the Silver Screen Oasis members that take part of the discussion over there and you addressed the problems just beautifully.

Thanks for the write up here. :)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

MissGoddess wrote:Do you have trouble with all internet pages/sites access or only TCM and photos? Because you seem to be able to post.

I would test another browser first to see if it works or does the same thing. If it acts the same way, then you may have to call Dell---there may be some update that needs to be made to your browser or on your computer. Or better yet, do you have a friend or someone you work with who knows a little about computers?

No, it's with all internet pages, but only if I don't use the www or the subject is already "in blue" and already "in" the system. Trouble with Explorer, too. Oh, heavens, please don't tell me I have to call Dell, no! Not that!!! I might be able to fiddle around with this at work during break time, although since I'm at a school, for security reasons might not be able to access what I need. (our computers are not set up for YouTube, for example).

I opened up my Firefox (it's thankfully already updated) to do the "Clear Recent History" but in the Time Frame box, when I try to hit "Everything", then the clear button/box at the bottom doesn't show up for me to click and clear what I need to clear. It only appears when I hit "One Hour", "One Day" -- anything but what I need, which is "Everything". The "Clear" button which I'm supposed to hit doesn't appear.

And I just found an avatar I'd love to start out with, but can't upload it of course. Still having the same Server Error/Problem Loading Page difficulties.

Love your STAGECOACH avatar, Goddess! Pappy was such an artist, though he probably would never admit it, lol. "Well, you've got to live, no matter what...."

moira, thank you! I PM'd you two messages.

I was actually able to upload a Jacques Tati poster in Torture, which really surprised me! But that was only because I put "www.JacquesTati.com" in the url and it actually came up with a site for him...
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hey, I just went to Internet Explorer, and was able to use the url address line and see any specific photo I wanted. Does this mean the trouble with Problem Loading Page and Server Error is just with Firefox, and not my whole computer? Please tell me I don't have to call India.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I may be wrong, but it sounds as though it is an issue with you and Firefox not getting along. :evil:

I replied to your comments in another PM since I didn't want to bore people here, but if that doesn't solve some of your issues with this browser, you might want to consider Chrome as a browser. It is pretty easy to use and is a much better alternative to IE, which I find cumbersome.

If you decide to check it out, you might want to read a bit about Chrome, which is a free windows-based browser, at Cnet here. I usually read the whiners user comments as well as Cnet's analysis of the features of software too, which sometimes seem a bit cursory. I have found that downloading stuff from Cnet is usually safer than just wandering around the internet, which I learned the hard way (one computer later). As always, take everything that everyone says with that grain of salt, Barb!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

For Chrome, I would recommend downloading directly from Google. With a direct download you can be sure to always be up to date because it does it automatically. I'm not sure if c-net's download does the same...probably, but I'd still go to the source.
https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/
Do still read up the reviews, though. It's always a good idea to be informed.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Lomm wrote:For Chrome, I would recommend downloading directly from Google. With a direct download you can be sure to always be up to date because it does it automatically. I'm not sure if c-net's download does the same...probably, but I'd still go to the source.
https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/
Do still read up the reviews, though. It's always a good idea to be informed.
I believe that Cnet's download comes from Google, but your point is very valid, Lomm. Thanks.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

First of all, molto grazie, moira, for the "restoration", you know what I mean.

I don't want to annoy/bore people with my Firefox/lack of computer skillls problems, so any frustrations I have will be sent in a PM to you, lol.

Love the owl!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

My software was installed by Barney Rubble!