What B&W films would you consider visually "beautiful"?

Chit-chat, current events
Swithin

Re: What B&W films would you consider visually "beautiful"?

Post by Swithin »

Belle wrote: June 28th, 2023, 7:16 pm A beautiful-looking film, with stunning performances all round. James Dunn here in the most moving scene in the film. Beautifully lit.

That is a gorgeous scene. James Dunn won an Oscar for it.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

One thing I would like to add about B&W films. In the late 50s and early 60s the B&W photography seemed a lot more clear and detailed than before.

See examples below of Blue Deninm (1959) and The Strangler (1964) notice how crystal clear the images are. The faces are very detailed.

Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Surprised since straight off somebody used the phrase "The usual suspects" to first mention CASABLANCA but to me, one of the more brazen usual suspects, in regards to Black & White beauty and excellence is
CITIZEN KANE
Any of my other choices have already been mentioned(several times) But will mention one; The Best Years Of Our Lives an excellent example of top notch Black & White cinematography. And even after the multitude of viewings of it, the from behind shot of Dana Andrews always takes my breath away. About 2:24 in.

My other addition would be Paper Moon
It Could Happen To You
In Cold Blood
More might come to me later. We'll see.

Sepiatone
Belle

Post by Belle »

In fact, monochrome is my preferred medium for film. I adore celluloid, it's grain and textures. How well I remember going to the cinema since childhood and loving the fact of its being an 'object' and photographic, in the literal sense. Today the dance and movement of the camera still excites as much as it did then.

Don't forget some fine television was produced with film, as many of the greats headed into that medium after the collapse of the studio system and the advent of 'the box'.

Has anybody mentioned "Psycho" for stunning chiarascuro black and white: not to mention Perkins's absolutely stunning performance!!

C*i*g*a*rTheJoe

Post by C*i*g*a*rTheJoe »

The Dark Corner
The Set-Up
3:10 To Yuma (1957)
My Darling Clementine
Hell's Heroes (1929)
Yellow Sky
The Naked City
Brief Encounter
Crime Wave
Desperate
Cat People
Killers Kiss
Night And The City (1950)
Nightmare Alley
Odds Against Tomorrow
Two Men In Manhattan
The Third Man
Bicycle Thieves
Wages Of Fear
In Cold Blood
Lenny
Something Wild
Alphaville
Touch Of Evil
Red River
I Became a Criminal
Treasure Of The Sierra Madre
Psycho
Dr, Strangelove
The Last Picture Show
The Pawnbroker
Experiment in Terror
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

I mentioned this before in the old forum ;)

I thought not only the set direction for 1951's SCROOGE excellent, but the Black and White cinematography actually gave the impression it WAS filmed back in 1835 ;)

With one of my favorite shots 20 seconds in

Sepiatone
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

So many great ones. Practically everything Bergman did, but I'll just mention these three : Wild Strawberries, The Seventh Seal and Winter Light.
Belle

Post by Belle »

Olivier's "Hamlet". A film certainly influenced by Citizen Kane and directed by a stage actor. A magnificent film, though I didn't think the Ophelia scenes worked convincingly. It has been restored. An artefact for the ages!! From 2:14:00 you'll see 2 or 3 minutes of not only beautiful lighting but superbly choreographed moves with actors and camera. Gorgeous!!

I've just noticed that the internal amphitheatre is back-projected when the Fool does his clumsy exit!! Only after the edit when Hamlet and Horatio descend the stairs - and that magnificent piece of choreography - are they actually standing in that space.
laffite

Post by laffite »

skimpole wrote: July 6th, 2023, 2:00 am Ivan's Childhood

Andrei Rublev

Marketa Lazarova

Skimpole, your post here and the thread here in general recalls that quite wonderful post you made about the music family. Just prior to the demise of TCM Board. I can't remember the details but it seem that there were examples of black and white splendor though it may have been only shots of folks playing music, but it was wonderful. The tone elicited a delicate sense of history and dignity. And the music was, of course, divine. (hint ... )
Mona
norfious

Post by norfious »

How could I forget Wings of Desire (1987)? It's another breathtaking film. Here are a few of my favorite shots and scenes from it.

This scene always moves me to tears.
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.