WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

I knew you were going to lose it Maven when Arthur Hill was mentioned! I think he's quite good looking, and he made a generally favorable impression on me in A Little Romance, as the step dad who actually cares about his wife's kid. I really like him. He could be Samuel S. Hinds son, dontcha think?

You made me think of the ewwww-inspiring Dan O'Herlihy in Home After Dark - another in a long line of impotent crappy husbands who also happen to be college professors. Wasn't Michael Murphy a college prof in An Unmarried Woman, and Jeff Daniels in Terms of Endearment? I think I'm wrong about Murphy, the slime bucket, but he could have been one. I see a possible thread here.... :D :D :D
I totally forgot about this movie until my friend brought it up. I remember when it came out. Quinn and Bergman previously starred in "THE VISIT." Do you know that film?
No! But at least I've heard of it. It sounds better than the other one, but I'm only going on the title.... :D
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

You guys are making me do too many spit takes with my tea today. A College Profs on Film thread? Yeah, that sounds good. BTW, you would probably like The Visit quite a bit, though it is not perfect either. Neither Quinn nor Bergman is the least bit embarrassing in the movie, which taps into the eternal verities, including revenge, memory and desire.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

If I were marooned on an island with Mary Ann and Ginger, I'd be in no hurry to get off!

Michael Murphy plays a teacher in MANHATTAN. In Mazurky's film, he has an office downtown. Who knows what his racket is?
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Guns at Batasi (1964) Film

This powerful British Military Drama headed by Richard Attenborough and haven't seen this movie today by surprise and I was in awe by his performance as the Sergeant Major this gripping movie is a sure winner. It's among my top 10 Richard Attenborough Movies and I thoroughly enjoyed his performance. Flora Robson, Jack Hawkins, and Graham Stark (Pink Panther Series) were fabulous and not to mention a stellar performance of Mia Farrow who played Karen Eriksson.

John Leyton as Private Wilkes was outstanding and he Attenborough had great chemistry together in this film that was made back in 1964.

It was intense and wonderfully directed by Leslie Norman and I was happy that I got a chance to see it today.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Glad you had a chance to see Guns at Batasi, Erik. I agree about the quality of the acting--particularly enjoyed Attenborough, Hawkins, and especially Flora Robson. It was the earliest film I've seen with Mia Farrow too (can't say that she impressed me). Sadly, the violence between cultures and attitudes on all sides still color human conflict today, making this movie all too timely.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I'm watching the THE LONGEST DAY - pretty much on an annual basis because it's one of my favorites ... I just wanted to point this out to everyone here - what a cast!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Longest_Day_(film)

Over 20 Actors representing the Americans including John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, Henry Fonda, Eddie Albert, Edmond O'Brien, and host of others.

Over 20 Actors representing the British including Richard Burton, Sean Connery, Peter Lawford, Kenneth More, and Richard Todd and dozen others as well.

Over a dozen of mixed actors representing the French that's includes Arletty, Christian Marquand, and Jean-Louis Barrault.

Nearly 20 Actors representing the Germans including Hans Christian Blech, Gert Forbe, Paul Hartmann, Curt Jurgens, and Wolfgang Preiss and others as well too.

That's nearly 90 or more actors and actresses in this movie and try making one of them today and I betcha it will be almost impossible to do so because of the logistics and cost factors involved. Man, this is one heck of a casting call and I wanted to point that out because it's one of those unique war film ever made.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This is a fine war drama. With its all star cast, you'd think it would be overblown and overrated. It's not. The actors blend into the story without pretension or glamour. The story (stories)are thrilling. What must those men and women felt in those hours? Imagine the uncertainty experienced by the people at home. This story is expertly told. If there's a moment of dullness or tedium, I haven't seen it.

This just might be the finest WW2 film ever made. Maybe that's a bit excessive. But THE LONGEST DAY is hard to beat.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Masha, I've seen a few of the Sherlock Holmes series and feel they capture the good humoredness of the Rathbone/Bruce movies, while staying more within a Conan Doyle framework. I too like Watson quite a bit in these, and feel the same about Ronald Howard's looks, sadly. :D I haven't seen them for a few years, they used to show them on PBS here, I believe it was. I'll have to go back and see if I can find them elsewhere. Enjoyable is the word for them.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

WOW! Now that's a price I can deal with!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

kingrat - have you seen the early versions of the story - Marius, Fanny, and Cesar? Fanny is a good film, with beautiful locations and a great feel for the Pagnol story, but I think you would love the three 1930's films that Pagnol himself produced. You really hit the nail on the head about Logan's directing - as if it were a musical. It would have been nice to hear the songs and it certainly looks like they had the budget for it.
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

On the subject of Marcel Pagnol, just in case there's anyone here who isn't familiar with them, he wrote two beautiful memoirs, My Father's Glory and My Mother's Castle, published in a single volume. They are true stories of his childhood and give a great insight into the how and why of his justly-famous trilogy.

In 1990, Yves Robert directed two films of the two stories, using the same titles The first is warm and lovely. The second includes a painful humiliation and ends with a flash forward that I can't imagine anyone being able to watch without misting up - a joyous (but too late) conclusion..

Search 'em out, book or films, or better yet both!
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]