WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

Lucky, I just bought the two movie versions - My Mother's Castle and My Father's Glory - recently. I haven't had a chance to watch them yet. Pagnol is an addiction! :D
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Glad you've got them. I promise you won't be disappointed.
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

MrCutter and I are bit behind on our new film viewing but last night we saw a terrific one- The Guardians of the Galaxy and it ROCKS!!!!

Starring Chris Pratt, Zoe Saladana, David Bautista with Bradley Cooper providing the voice of the cynical Rocket Racoon and Vin Diesel providing the emotional ballast as a CGI tree named Groot, the film hits on all cylinders. The always wonderful Michael Rooker provides the right amount of chicanery and thievery as the head of the Ravagers, Lee Pace does the best Thulsa Doom imitation (right down to the make-up which makes him unrecognizable to fans of the AMC drama Halt and Catch Fire) I've seen, Benico Del Toro with an homage to Javier Bardem in Skyfall and an uncredited Josh Brolin doing his bit as an Emperor take-off from Star Wars, all provide great support.

The soundtrack will appeal to anyone who came of age in the mid-1970s and 1980s, and the homages are too numerous to count but include Star Wars, Star Trek, Raiders, Firefly, Aliens, the Fifth Element, the previously mentioned Conan the Barbarian and Skyfall and many, many others.

The film was the hit of the summer and it is easy to see why. It is one of those films that is just a lot of fun and towards the end becomes very moving without being schmaltzy.

Stay through the credits for an added bonus.

Can't wait to to see the sequel.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Well, gee. Even though I am not a huge sci-fi fan, I was pretty intrigued by the Rocket Raccoon in the trailers, so maybe I'll have to see this one eventually, Lynn. Thanks for the review. It sounds like fun.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

I was not expecting Guardians to be a good movie, and thought it would be Marvel Studios first misstep since they started making their own films with Iron Man. Boy, was I wrong. It's one of the best films of the year, if not the last several. I actually went to a theater twice and saw it, which I haven't done since back in the 90s! :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You've made me want to go see Guardians of the Galaxy a LOT! I already was interested because I like actor Chris Pratt. Now you tell me Lee Pace is in it, and that it ROCKS....I have to see it!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm so out of touch I know nothing at all about "Guardians." Is the source a comic book? Graphic novel? The young people I know are SO excited about it!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't know Red. I am a complete comic book newbie. I only know the biggies, Batman, Superman, Archie, and because I read MAD magazine as a kid, I know about Plastic Man. But that's it. I remember one I got that had Shrinking Violet in it, and a night girl too, whose name escapes me. I couldn't tell you which group of super heroes those two were from.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Guardians is a pretty fun movie to watch and I enjoyed the antics of it. I did not realized that many people here would love this movie - but I did and I'm thinking about getting a DVD of it when it's come out ... loved it and I have seen it twice already! :)
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

RedRiver wrote:I'm so out of touch I know nothing at all about "Guardians." Is the source a comic book? Graphic novel? The young people I know are SO excited about it!
It is based on a Marvel comic series, and set in the same "universe" as the Avengers, Iron Man, etc. A cameo villain in this film is supposed to be the primary villain of the 3rd Avengers film (not the one coming next year; they're playing the long game here). This means that it's likely that the Guardians will cross over with other Marvel movies in the future, leading up to that big showdown. BUT, if you're not interested in all that, don't feel like you need to know anything about any of the other movies to enjoy this! It's a great sci-fi action/comedy all on it's own, and well worth seeing.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Wendy, I believe Shrinking Violet was afilliated with the Legion of Super Heroes, a youth group if you will. A kind of "Junior Justice League" that boasted such stalwarts as Lightning Lad, Triplicate Girl and yes, Bouncing Boy! The world's first overweight super hero!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, Red! Funny, I've never heard of any of those male junior superheroes...but I do remember the gals, Shrinking Violet and the other one. In looking them up, I think the one I was most impressed with was not Night Girl but instead Phantom Girl. I really wanted Phantom Girl's super power of transferring to another dimension making her impervious to attack.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

For the first time in a long time I watched "Lonely Are The Brave." Several things pop out at me about it. It is a well done film but ultimately a frustrating finale to the picture. (As intended, I'm sure.) After spending all that time going up that beautiful mountain, pulling and persuading and encouraging the horse to risk life and limb to make it to the top to then come upon another highway to where he seems no better off then when he started seems a little strange. Did he not know? The police sure did as they were there in a heartbeat of the last few minutes. To make that trek only to go to the road without really looking and knowing the horse's trouble with streets. If all seems so odd with as smart as Douglas comes across. (Not withstanding the idea of getting thrown in jail.

Douglas is good. With every reason to do one of his classic meltdowns he never really comes close here. With what comes his way he takes it with all with almost a sense of humor. Matthau and Rowlands are both very good as well. William Schallert's character was a bit annoying. (Someone on Netflix commented that it seemed like most of the law was pulled right out of Mayberry.)

I like it but maybe I miss the point of it all.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

As much as I like Gena Rowlands and the horse, I've never been able to get through to the end of Lonely Are the Brave. Sorry.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Did you find it too dull?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."