Larry's Time at TCM FF...

Vecchiolarry

Larry's Time at TCM FF...

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hello Everyone,

First of all, I must tell you that I only stayed at TCM FF for 2 days - Wednesday & Thursday - as my aunt died Friday morning and I was suddenly uprouted home... :o

But, I had fun and met lots of people and enjoyed it all very much; I will return again next year.

Lynn (lzcutter), Christy (suesueapplegate), Paula (countessdelave), David (kingrat), Sam & Alexa and I all had dinner at Musso & Franks on Hollywood Blvd. Mostly Film Festival people there - crowded and noisy but we had many laughs and discussed everybody - Merle Oberon, Paulette Goddard, Mary Astor, Clark Gable, Jessie Royce Landis and Mary Boland.... They were all there with us!!!!! I think they had a good time...

The crowning moment at M&Fs was when Mary Carlisle came in and sat with her group two tables down... She's 100 and looked grand... Bless her..

It was good to see Lynn again and to meet the rest - all lovely people.

The next day, I walked 3 blocks to the Hollywood Roosevelt and had breakfast and then met Lynn in the lobby. We met up with Theresa from Texas (butterscotchgreer) and went to The Egyptian for the Staff Introductions meet-up... Very interesting.
Theresa is a very stylish and gregarious person and kept us all energized... She's a cute little bunny!!!!

We returned to the Roosevelt and awaited the opening of the TCM Club.
David and I had a great long talk about various stars and I enjoyed our time together...

Robert Osborne introduced Jane Seymour and Kim Novak and they discussed their paintings, which were on dispaly around the glamourously decorated room...

Lynn and I went out to the Pool area and found seats and had drinks and buffet food...
Ben M. then intrduced "American Graffiti" and the stars Candy Clark and Paul LeMat...

Christy and I then went to the "W" Hotel and tried to crash the Vanity Fair party - not happening BUMMER!!!!!
But we lucked out in the Bar area, as Kim Novak walked through and we talked to her for a minute. She looks wonderful and was so gracious to us. It was a hi-light of the Festival for me.
We just missed George Chakiris as he walked by but did see him...

I saw Christy off to her hotel and then went to my room at the "W" and was summarily awaken at 6AM with my aunt's death announcement.
So then, it was off home - disappointed not to be there for the duration.

Lastly, I want to say that Joe, Moira, Nancy, Wendy, Fernando, Ann and April - you were not forgotten and were discussed and missed most profoundly... We want you to come next year; so save up your sheckles and sous and plan to be there - we want you!!!!!

Cheers,
Larry
Vecchiolarry

Re: Larry's Time at TCM FF...

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Oh, I forgot to mention Marco (moraldorubini) and Chris (movieman57) and Erik (ritahayworth) - you were mentioned too and were missed too.
And, I wondered where and what happened to James (garbomaniac); please come back to us..
Try, try, try to make it next year all of you. You have your orders - OBEY!!!!!

Larry
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Sorry to hear about your beloved Aunt ... Larry and I loved the way you recapped the two days that you spent time at the TCM Film Festival and I touch base with many of our members there. Man, I wished I could had a chance to meet KIM NOVAK there so I can chit chat with her about Rita Hayworth and all ... But anyway, I'm pleased with this great report and all and most of all thanks for sharing all the wonderful events that you spent on Wednesday and Thursday at TCM FF.

Thanks for sharing it. :)
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Very sorry about your aunt. Sounds like a fantastic time, while you were able to enjoy it!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks for your juicy account of the hubbub, Larry. Your aunt is in my thoughts--as are all of you who have been having a joyous time celebrating films and TCM out in LA. Be well, and I hope you'll make it back next year.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks for the lovely thoughts, Larry. I am sorry for your loss, losing one's family is so hard.

If I win the lottery, I'm springing for Moira and me! We'll have to rustle up those ermines, then be off to sunny Cal... :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Hi Larry. I'm just catching up with this thread and it was a pleasure to read all about it. I'm sorry to hear about your aunt, may she rest in peace.
It was nice to know that we here at the Oasis were in all your thoughts during this jubilant time.
I would imagine that you wanted to see Maureen O'Hara, who you often mention. It's a shame that you had to leave early. At least you had the gist of the event, which appears to be well attended.
Perhaps next year we can all get together, and I can get that corned beef sandwich at Franks. &
Mussos.
Regards, Joe
Joseph Goodheart
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

My condolences on your loss Larry.

Otherwise, I am flattered to know that I came up in a conversation. Having spent two wonderful evenings with Christy I'm sure you both had a grand time. I have had the great pleasure to talk to Lynn on the phone.

It sounds like a pleasant time was had by all.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Larry,

Yesterday, I was too tired to do much of anything except post some photos in Christy's Suex2 thread.

I am so sorry that you had to leave the Festival early. I think I can speak for the whole group that met you, we had a wonderful time with you and cannot wait to see you again next year!

The "Meet Larry" dinner was one of the highlights of the week!

Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Great Picture of Larry and Sue Sue at the TCM FF ... I wished I was there! :)
feaito

Post by feaito »

I have just read this thread. Thanks for your account and kind words Larry. I wish I could make it next year. What a great time you had. And Mary Carlisle, wow, that is a (blessed) trouper.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Larry, it was a fabulous dinner! I had so much fun hearing your stories, and listening to all the comments everyone made. The food was yummy and the companionship divine. Paula, Alexa, Glenn, Lynn, Sam, and you were so much fun to be with.

I also posted some more photos on Sue Sue's column.

Thank you for a lovely evening! :D
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hello Everybody,

Again, I'm at the TCM Film Festival.

Lynn & Jon and Christy, Alexa, David, Paula, Sam and Teresa and her new husband, Joe, and I are all fully fed at dinner at Musso & Frank's; and are all enjoying the event(s).....

Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer introduced "The Sound of Music" at the Chinese Theater and then Christopher was honoured with his hand and foot prints in cement in the forecourt....

We've seen Shirley MacLaine, Ann-Margret, David Ladd and Rory Flynn all interviewed.
Diane Baker was at the party last night.

Larry
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Larry,

We are having so much fun and so glad you are here to enjoy it with us!!! Highlights include Larry's Brigade dinner with a sighting of Christoph Waltz and character actor John Billingsley at Musso's, "Liberty Valance" with a beautiful print and kick-ass intro by Keith Carradine, the "Dawn of Technicolor" with all those amazing two-color clips!!!!!, lunch with friends,
Rory Flynn's talk in Club TCM, Ben M's bromance with real life hero Tony Mendez, the candor of Mark Shultz and Aron Ralston's great story about his mother's role in saving his life (and Capt. James Lovell in the audience with all of us!) to Ben M's great interview with a very funny George Lazanby prior to "OHMSS". Best so far, Scott Eyman's terrific interview with Peter Fonda in Club TCM that brought tears to our eyes (and we weren't the only ones!) and had us laughing out loud! And there's still two days to go! Thanks TCM and the great staff for making this all possible!!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Great Report Larry, and I'm happy that you've have a chance to go and I wished I was there too.

I would die to meet Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer from the Sounds of Music ... and all those other stars that you've mentioned too.