The Olympics - Angry

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

The Olympics - Angry

Post by mrsl »

I have never been a fan of the olympics because the U.S.A. never used to help their athletes in any monetary way. It still isn't large but it does help a little, and this morning, watching The View I learned the winners of Gold, Silver and Bronze are all TAXED for their medals. I would love to know what other countries do, Nando (?), Charlie Fan (?). These kids and their families deny themselves all sorts of things while in training, and on the road, not to mention paying their own way to and from wherever the games are held. I certainly wouldn't want a government ruled win like Korea and China, but something in between them and us. These athletes are representing our country for pete's sake. Nobody asks them to but it's their dream. I give credit to the guys who volunteered back in 2003 for the war without being threatened with the draft. They wanted to serve, just as these kids do. If we had an athlete like an Olga Korbutt at 10 years old, would she be expected to pay taxes as if she was 21?

I just think it's disgraceful. How do the rest of you feel about this?

I hope I haven't stepped on any political toes, but I just saw red when the ladies were discussing this topic today, and had to vent a little.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Re: The Olympics - Angry

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Anne,

I would be extremely angry if they were told to pay taxes on the winning any medal; Gold, Silver, and Bronze in any event that they participate in. This is total injustice because most of them aren't even professional ... just amateurs chasing a lifetime dream of being the best in their sport. I totally support you 100%.

This is total travesty.
ChiO

Re: The Olympics - Angry

Post by ChiO »

Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles