High Chaparral?...Anyone?

stuart.uk

Re: High Chaparral?...Anyone?

Post by stuart.uk »

Funnily enough with all the talk of Henry Darrow yesterday, he only turned up in a repeat of Star Trek Voyeger as the 2nd in Command's father in a story partly told in flashback, on UK digital
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

If anyone has a cable system that offers the Inspiration Network (often shortened to INSP TV in cable guides), some of us might want to mark September 15th on their calendar.

The High Chaparral series begins airing exclusively on that outlet with a marathon, then joins the lineup that already includes Bonanza, The Big Valley, Little House on the Prairie, Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, and Western movies on a daily basis, (the network also airs religious programming). You can track more info about this development on their website at:
http://www.insp.com/shows/high-chaparral/
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

as usual, i don't get this network. time warner in NYC is so incredibly limited.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, heck. I was hoping you would get a chance to see this show again, Miss G. Do you have to subscribe to one of those goofy "upgraded" packages they offer to get this channel?

Every time we have changed our package trying to get something like the Smithsonian Channel, we also have to take stations that offer something like "BMX Bikes 24/7," "Champion Tiddly-Winks," or the "Fake Samurai Swords on Sale Channel." The a la carte channel lineup movement does not seem to be catching on fast among cable vendors.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

While I do have that same issue with tiered packages, this particular channel isn't even offered by TWNYC. It's the same with several channels like Retroplex and some others that show classics. Time Warner simply doesn't have them at any price level.

I wonder if they are broadcasting the remastered episodes, which are available in Germany on DVD, but not here. Perhaps it may one day be picked up by Encore; that may be my only hope of seeing the show in a restored state.
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

*Bump*

This is to remind those who might get the Inspiration channel on cable that The High Chaparral will begin airing in a marathon tomorrow, Sat. Sept. 15th from 1pm-2am.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

looks good. drat, i wish i had this channel!

[youtube][/youtube]
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I am watching the first episode now. I just realized that I've never seen it before. Joan Caulfield (The Unsuspected, Blue Skies) is on hand as Blue-boy's Mom and John Cannon's wife Annalee. When John claims that he doesn't want Blue to love him, but to survive, she tries to tell him that toughness isn't the only thing that will help Blue survive. ! ¡Ay, caramba! She's toast. Hearing a baby crying in the bush on a windy night at the ranch, she unwisely opens a window to listen. The gulf between John and Blue is widening...

Blue almost lost his innocence to a dance hall gal who said "you're sensitive." Well, personally, I always thought that Blue might be a bit slow too. Buck saved his virtue and distracted him by getting him snockered for the first time.

Manolito just showed up looking scruffy, full of the devil, and smiling broadly. He stole John Cannon's horse just after saving his life. "I do not like to work." Famous last words, Mano.

Here's an article by Penny McQueen, the force behind The High Chaparral Newsletter about the marathon:
http://www.insp.com/blog/the-high-chapa ... y-on-insp/

Btw, I still haven't figured out if this show is going to be on the daily schedule on Inspiration. Has anyone else discovered when or if it will be shown after the Marathon?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I love how the first episode sets things up for all the characters, and the unease between Victoria and John.
-- Will Rogers
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

For those who love Henry Darrow:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv ... 3137.story

Enjoy!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

On THE GIRL FROM UNCLE, Noel Harrison's character was named Mark Slade. I read the actor was a friend of the real Mark Slade and obtained permission to borrow his name!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

It looks like BJC at YouTube has uploaded most if not all of the restored episodes, in full-length format. This is the link to his channel with episode listings:

I'm still hoping for INSP network. It may come, I just found out I now have ME-TV and Antenna TV, both retro programming networks. I feel like I'm getting closer. :D And, Moira, I am sure the "a la carte" format is the way things are going, but it is slow. They seem to be doing it piecemeal, with websites like Mubi and Hulu filling in the blanks.
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I am so glad you have more retro-programming via Me-TV now. I have seen Antenna-TV in other localities, as well as RTV, (retro-tv) which another NYC friend tells me is available in the urban area on the digital UHF channel WZME at 43.2. I believe that the Insp aka Inspiration Channel is available on the Dish network in NYC.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

moirafinnie wrote:I am so glad you have more retro-programming via Me-TV now. I have seen Antenna-TV in other localities, as well as RTV, (retro-tv) which another NYC friend tells me is available in the urban area on the digital UHF channel WZME at 43.2. I believe that the Insp aka Inspiration Channel is available on the Dish network in NYC.

oh my goodness, i may never be seen again i'm so addicted to Me-TV. i can't believe all the different retro shows. this must be what TVLand was like in the beginning. they even have boris karloff's old "Thriller" on Sunday nights, which I've never seen. he makes a grand host and some of these episodes are too scary for me to watch late at night!

i am not able to figure out how to get those UHF channels...when I plug in anything but a whole number for a channel, my remote won't recognize it. maybe i will call my cable provider and see if they can advise me.

what am i saying?! i'm commuting social suicide with the "vast wasteland" in my living room. i may need an "intervention". :D :D
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I rarely watch anything BUT ME TV. I have it on all the time.