Carson on TCM (Summer 2013)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Western Guy

Re: Carson on TCM (Summer 2013)

Post by Western Guy »

This has to be the most exciting news as those Classic Carson interviews were gems. From what I understand, though, his earlier telecasts featuring guys like Lon Chaney no longer exist - and that's one I'd really like to see. Lon, suffering from throat cancer, explained away his husky voice by saying it was the result of growling like the wolfman for neighborhood kids at Halloween. He also apparently really exaggerates the rigors involved in his man-to-werewolf transformations, saying that for the hand transformations, to keep his fingers from moving, pins had to be inserted through his fingertips to keep them steady. Would love to see Johnny's reactions to these stories.

Lon shoulda written his own movie scripts.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Some of us are in the age group that knew Carson as THE late night TV guy. Too young for Jack Paar, old enough to see through Conan O'Brien. The idea that someone could be that funny without a script, the anticipation of what's next; this unpredictability made talk shows exciting. Thanks more than anything, to the sharp wit and flawless timing of one man.

David Letterman was a noble successor. His LATE NIGHT was fresh and irreverent, poking fun at the Carson format as much as anything. Dave's sardonic style served the time and the material well. I was a fan of his silly, self-parodying antics. But before you can have satire, you must have a source. In this case, the target was some of the best TV comedy I've ever seen.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

David Letterman made some humble comments in an interview last night. He said if young comedians look up to him, it's simply because he has tenure. Not because he's done anything special. Mr. Carson, on the other hand, was one of a kind. "Head and shoulders above anybody whose done this since or ever will again." Dave's modesty is admirable. He has talent. He brought a lot to the format. But he's right. As he further said, it didn't matter whether Johnny's show was good or bad. You kept watching just to see what he'd do next! Therein lies the difference. I don't care what Conan O'Brien does next!

Letterman spoke well, turning the spotlight away from his own considerable accomplishments, and onto those of others.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

That is why Johnny Carson will (always) remain KING of late night television. He is a country mile ahead of all others after him ...
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

have a look at a really young (and skinny) Carson introducing another newcomer to TV:

[youtube][/youtube]
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Incredible! Imagine that! A time when there wasn't Gunsmoke on TV and people didn't know James Arness.... it boggles the mind.

And how smooth was Johnny? You could see his little tics were slightly more pronounced, but all in all, he was very relaxed and had that same connection with the audience. I loved the beginning, where he swept the audience with his eyes, making contact right away, nodding to someone or saying something to put them at ease. Also the moment where he bid goodbye to Arness and let the audience applaud for as long as they wanted to without jumping in or indicating that it was time to stop...he was just modestly looking down until the applause died out. This was something I always liked about Johnny, he was extremely courteous to his guests, and was never afraid to let someone else take the limelight. A very secure man, at least on stage, able to take the time to set up a joke, or relax and just be conversational with the audience. His timing, not just for the jokes, but knowing when to speak or introduce another guest was amazing. No wonder we like him, he just let us be us and never tries too hard to win you over or to make you pay attention. And of course that makes you want to watch him all the more.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

His timing was uncanny. An admirer of Jack Benny, and it showed.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I admire anyone who was an admirer of Jack Benny.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote:I admire anyone who was an admirer of Jack Benny.
And I admire anyone who admires anyone who admires Jack Benny! :D
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha!One of my proudest accomplishments, if you can call it that, is that I was born on the same day as Jack Benny.

And I'm also 39.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

:D :D :D :D

AntennaTV runs the old Jack Benny programs...they are such a delight! He and Rochester can always make me smile. And Red's right, I can see the Benny influence on Johnny's exquisite sense of timing.
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

In the traditional TV obituary, one of the newscasters said, "Jack Benny was born in Waukegan, IL in 1894. He died last night at 39."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

awww! that's wonderful.