CINEMATIC MAVENATIC TRANSFORMATION POLL

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: CINEMATIC MAVENATIC TRANSFORMATION POLL

Post by JackFavell »

Same here Alison. I had to be dragged kicking and screaming to watch the others on my list. well, a couple of them I forced myself to watch, on recommendations here.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Make it three. I generally will go out of my way to avoid a movie with Mr. Pec-kah.

Oh, I'll watch CAPE FEAR with the hope-against-hope that this time Mitchum will win. And THE GUNFIGHTER is quite good...except when you-know-who actually speaks.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I like Gregory Peck.

I like Dana Andrews.

Peck edges out Andrews, for me. Peck definitely is The Movie Star; got the Star Treatment with scripts and directors and leading ladies. I like his Earnest persona - Ethics - Integrity. And I can do a mean Gregory Peck imitation myself.

ImageImage

But in recent months, my appreciation for Dana Andrews has grown. Ever since seeing him in “NIGHT SONG” he’s really on my radar. He’s still The Hero, but he’s not always nice about it. Looking at his filmography, things were going along nicely but blandly for Dana Andrews in his career. ( “Crash Dive” “Berlin Correspondent” “Ball of Fire” “Swamp Water” ”Belle Starr” “Tobacco Road” “The Westerner” “Kit Carson” “Sailor's Lady” “Lucky Cisco Kid.” ) But I think things turned for Andrews from the time he gave that powerful performance in “The Ox Bow Incident” and then really transformed for him with "Laura.” I'm not saying he went from moth to butterfly. He’s tougher, edgier. His characters are dark; sometimes not likeable. And that makes him interesting for me. I’ve always liked Andrews, and I see I now have to look at everything I've seen him in, all over again with a different eye towards his characters' hurt...pain. I'm attracted to the danger in Andrews: ( "Fallen Angel" ) A man with some demons ( "The Best Years Of Our Lives." ) Is it a transformation or just the natural progression of an actor getting better parts? Am I wrong for including him in this thread?

ImageImage

I like them both.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

Amen.

And Theresa, your Peck imitation is something I've gotta see.

Now I'll go hunting for your review of "Night Song"... Did you write one?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

If you go here:

you'll see the thread started by JACK FAVELL on "Night Song." I just bring up the rear. I've seen Dana Andrews in oodles of things before then, now I've got to go back and revisit him.

( I wrote the above in my best Gregory Peck voice. Can you hear it? )

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I like Dana, you've put your finger on why. He's edgy, he can play a two bit crime boss, a married man having an affair, or a GI Joe coming back from the war, but none of it is pat. His heroes don't rest comfortably on their war records, his villains can be charming. He's never quite what you think he'll be.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

...And what woman would want a man that is predictable.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Exactly!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

He's never quite what you think he'll be.

A fascinating quality in an actor. Also in his business manager! Good choices.

It took a while for Peck to grow on me. I never disliked him. But over the years, through a variety of roles, I was increasingly impressed. He doesn't do lighthearted. Peck's a solemn guy. Even in comedies like ROMAN HOLIDAY and DESIGNING WOMAN, he's anything but flighty. But it's that thoughtful intensity that appeals to me. He appears to be thinking. A lot! This is an actor who continues to rise on the list of my favorites.

On another message board, we were asked what classic star would play us in a biopic. I said somebody tall and lanky, dark hair. Another poster said, "Like Gregory Peck?" Um...yeah. I look that good!

Teresita, I hope someday you'll hear Steve Landesberg's imitation of Peck. I'm sure yours is just as good, but it's pretty darn funny!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like Peck as the Nazi war criminal in that surprisingly entertaining thriller. At the same stage of his career, the actor delivered one of his best performances as MACARTHUR. He's wonderful as the committed, if stubborn, general. If there was a dark side to Gregory Peck, director Henry King brought it out more than any other. There's some morose brooding in THE SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO. Also TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH. King's westerns are more disturbing than most. THE GUNFIGHTER will never be a happy man. In THE BRAVADOS, Peck's character makes a choice that will haunt him forever.