WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

RedRiver

Re: WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by RedRiver »

kind of an Iron Butterfly thing

Yes, her cover of "In a Gadda da Vida" is thrilling!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

:lol:
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:kind of an Iron Butterfly thing

Yes, her cover of "In a Gadda da Vida" is thrilling!
That's one of my favorite song ...

[youtube][/youtube]
LadyEveSidwich

Post by LadyEveSidwich »

I recently saw Kiss Me Kate and Silk Stockings and enjoyed both films. I actually prefer Silk Stockings over the original film Ninotchka.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Me too, I thought I was in a minority of one, now there's 2 of us.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

LadyEveSidwich wrote:I recently saw Kiss Me Kate and Silk Stockings and enjoyed both films. I actually prefer Silk Stockings over the original film Ninotchka.
Both top favorites, with excellent soundtracks and dancing sequences. I can well understand your feelings about Silk Stockings and Ninotchka, if the former is not my preferred then it's on the same level than latter.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Absolutely by chance I caught a very rare Backstage Operatic muiscal: "Metropolitan" (1935) which demonstrates Lawrence Tibbet's incredible voice and talent as an opera singer, plus his charm as an actor as well. Here he plays an aspiring singer who's bound to succeed. Husky-voiced and lovely Virginia Bruce plays his love interest. Alice Brady plays Tibbet's mentor, a spoiled, selfish society matron. The amusing supporting cast included Christian Rub, Cesar Romero, Luis Alberni, George F. Marion and Jessie Ralph. A very slight plot with powerful musical sequences.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That sounds great, Fer! Every time I see Virginia Bruce, I wish she had done more musicals. She was said to have been marvelous at putting over a song.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I don't know if she was dubbed here, but she displayed a wonderful voice.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Virginia Bruce did actually sing in Metropolitan (1935). She did not always sing in her movies. One that springs to mind is The Mighty Barnum (1934) in which she was dubbed by Francia White.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for the info Fossy.
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

I'm half way through watching Maytime (1936) with Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy. John Barrymore plays Jeanette's Svengali-esque mentor (though not quite as evil). The setting is nineteenth century Paris. What a sumptuous production!

Boy, when Jeanette turns it on, there's nothing like her. My needle moves from intense admiration into a red zone that almost feels like despair.

Barrymore's face is noticeably puffy and his manner slightly foggy, but he's taking the job seriously.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi Intothenitrate; "Maytime" (1937) is my favorite MacDonald-Eddy vehicle. I wish I had a pristine copy. I only have it on a so-so VHS.
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

Jeanette really is a very good actress.

The print I have is pretty near perfect. I have to do a little experimenting, but I'm pretty sure I can make a faithful copy. Let's PM about it.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've still to see a Jeanette Macdonald and Nelson Eddy picture, I think for years I was put off Jeanette after watching San Francisco and then I saw the pictures she made with Ernst Lubistch and completely changed my opinion.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin