GENE TIERNEY - Beautiful.

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
RedRiver

Re: GENE TIERNEY - Beautiful.

Post by RedRiver »

Proof that creepy, sinister crime stories don't have to be in black and white. This one is in rich, vivid colors!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Say, I saw Jack Favell in "Rebecca." Tell us again, why did you pick his name as your on-line moniker? The dear boy didn't seem like a very nice chap in that movie.
Because he reminds me of a cat. :D

I just love Georgie even when he's not nice. He's a devil in Rebecca, quite awful in fact, torturing the happy couple all the time.... but he's a funny one, and so enjoyable to watch. In fact, without him, I wouldn't like the movie near as much, it would be extremely heavy. It's really his first big appearance in his characteristic role (even though that role was somewhat limiting eventually), and so it feels important...and he's flawless. He captures Hitchcock's wit, style and grace perfectly. He also has some valid points to make about the aristocracy. I also love the point when Rebecca's true death is revealed, where Jack turns his back to the camera for a moment, stunned and full of emotion. The shock feels real, and it actually touches him pretty deep, showing that even the most callous of men can still feel emotional pain occasionally.

It's funny that you pictured Gene as Rebecca, I've always thought she was a combination of Gene and maybe Margaret Lockwood.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Ahhh Georgie. Sly as a fox. Cunning as a cat. Baaad as a...Peck's bad boy. I've only watched "Rebecca" in pieces for years, ( including last night ) so I've not got the full flavor of him in this film. ( I find Maxim teddibly clueless and insensitive to his wife which disturbs me to no end just as boyer in "Gaslight." Giallo...I can do / emotional torture...I can't do. ) The one thought that came to my head about your "dear boy" ( and again, I love your opening salvo in your thread of Sanders' describing his screen persona ) as I off & on watched last night, was that he stood toe-to-toe against The Great 0livier...unintimidated. (( "You can be Olivier and be stuck with Acting, old chap. I shall be Georgie having fun with this whole silly business." )) You've made Jack Favell sound interesting, Wendy. It's my loss that I don't pay closer attention to this Hitchcock classic. Mrs. Danvers frightens me. Hey...there was a MR. Danvers?!!! :shock: I'm sure he hightailed it outta there quick, fast and in a hurry. I must say I did like the way Fontaine slinked out of the room while Mrs. Danvers was going off into her reverie of Rebecca. Whoa!
It's funny that you pictured Gene as Rebecca, I've always thought she was a combination of Gene and maybe Margaret Lockwood.

When I see Margaret Lockwood, I think of Joan Bennett.

ImageImage

Here is Gene:

One can drown in the darkness.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#BF0000]RedRiver[/color][/u] wrote:Proof that creepy, sinister crime stories don't have to be in black and white. This one is in rich, vivid colors!
You're so right Red. I love the color in "Leave Her to Heaven." It doesn't detract from the twisted nature of the story at all, for me. The movie ( and Gene Tierney ) is like a beautiful Venus Flytrap.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

If I were a filmmaker, I would probably shoot a noir story in color. Not to say that's a better way to do it. But the added realism could contribute to the effect. Film offers so many options. It might be fun to shake up the formula!

That George! A superb, multi-layered actor; sophisticated and subtle. And simply a priceless ****head! He could be in the ****Head Hall of Fame!
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Wendy,

I've often thought that Jack Favell should have been introduced to Mrs. Van Hopper...
Don't you think they deserved each other? They would have been intrigued with each other at first but then 'the fireworks'...

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! she could be his sugar mommy. He'd fleece her and she'd make his life miserable.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

On Monday Night

Monday, April 22nd ... 10 PM Eastern Standard Time ... 7 PM Pacific Standard Time

Leave Her for Heaven (1945) Film will be showing on TCM!

I just can't wait to see this movie! And, I provide you all three photos of her in this movie ... this is one of my favorite Gene Tierney movie that she ever done in her career.
Attachments
Gene Tierney LH.jpg
Gene Tierney LH.jpg (19.43 KiB) Viewed 4149 times
Tierney Heaven 1.jpg
Tierney Heaven 1.jpg (88.03 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
Tierney Heaven 2.jpg
Tierney Heaven 2.jpg (74.19 KiB) Viewed 4151 times