Leo G Carroll & Cedric Hardwicke

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
vallo

Post by vallo »

While Cedric Hardwicke played various roles like Frollo in The Hunchback of Notre Dame-1939 where he was cruel and callous. But on the other hand in films like A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court he was fun.

Leo G. Carroll was always Leo G. Carroll no matter what film or TV show he was in.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
feaito

Post by feaito »

MissGoddess wrote:I thought Cary was OK in Howards of Virginia, but Hardwicke really lit things up whenever his character appeared.
I completely agree April.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

>>Leo G. Carroll was always Leo G. Carroll no matter what film or TV show he was in. <<<

Hee! Apparently Hitchcock would always say Leo couldn't act but then he kept using him more than anyone else!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

While Cedric Hardwicke played various roles like Frollo in The Hunchback of Notre Dame-1939 where he was cruel and callous. But on the other hand in films like A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court he was fun.

Leo G. Carroll was always Leo G. Carroll no matter what film or TV show he was in.

Yes, I agree. This is probably why Hitchcock complained about Carroll - he was ever the straight-backed, stiff-upper-lip, brush-moustache, gutta-percha-sahib. However, that is apparently exactly what Hitchcock needed in the parts he cast Carroll for, and so he kept using him. I have fond memories of Carroll as Topper, especially after having recently read Thorne Smith's original story. Aside from being British, where Smith's characters were American, Carroll matches my mental image of Smith's represssed, conventional and bemused Topper very well. However, I haven't seen that TV show in many, many years, so I may be revising what it was actually like to conform to my own memories.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

"The Lodger," "Hangover Square" and "The Undying Monster" are all going to be released on DVD this month as a Fox Horror package. All three movies were directed by John Brahm, who would later direct many episodes of "Twilight Zone" and "Thriller."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Office of Dr. Hackenbush, D.O., DVM, PhD., QED
One Vicious Circle
Isle of Skye, Cyberspace, NY

Dear Miss Goddess,
I am writing this missive to you to ask that you please pay a Ms. Moira Finnie's physical therapy bill in the immediate future, since, thanks to the opening of the floodgates on her memories of and curiosity about one Sir Cedric Hardwicke, she has taken both volumes of his autobiography, "A Victorian in Orbit" and "Let's Pretend; Recollections and Reflections of a Lucky Actor" out of her local library. Her unalloyed enjoyment of these wittily written tomes has led to her carrying both volumes with her at all times in a voluminous bag, (along with other "vitals" such as her dayrunner, water bottles, 28 pens--only two of which actually work--a comb, a few linty breath mints, more keys than a janitor at Bellevue, and an unfortunately slim wallet).

Ms. Finnie claims that toting these books along with everything else will allow her to read Mr. Hardwicke's distinctly Shavian reminiscences and observations whenever she is standing in line at the grocery store, sitting in traffic, goofing off at work, waiting for clothes to dry in the drier, and catching a breath of fresh air. Consequently, this formerly hale and hearty woman has a distinct stoop of her right shoulder, which she also claims aches whenever she stops carrying that now weighty bag around. We are also considering having a psych consult due to the number of people who've reported seeing this "alleged madwoman" (their words, not mine), laughing uproariously in grocery stores and traffic jams. It is our considered opinion that you, Miss Goddess, are actually responsible for this turn of events, since you began her slide into infirmity and possible unstoppable mirth by piquing the interest of this formerly serious, capable worker bee in such trivialities.

Therefore, please remit payment for 12 sessions of physical therapy to my account forthwith, along with a sum to cover the psych consult.
Yours very truly,
Dr. Hugo Z. Hackenbush

P.S. Ms. Finnie is also suffering from the possibly delusional conviction that these 2 volumes of Hardwicke's autobiography are actually the same bio, with some updates added to the 1960 version with the snappier, space age title, "A Victorian in Orbit."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

LOL!

Oh my, I can't afford to pay my bill but may I refer Dr. Hackenbush to a very entrancing and susceptible rich widow? With this one client he can not only cover the expenses I incurred, but can retire in luxury with a life-time of cigars and an endlessly inspiring target for his wit.

Now I may have to read those books, whereas I only briefly considered doing so. I suspected they would be amusing but you really have piqued my curiosity.
melwalton

Carroll / Hardwicke

Post by melwalton »

Hi, Miss G, You come up with the most interesting posts. I liked that bit about G, B, Shaw's favorite actors. Shaw was noted for his acerbic wit. Speaking of which, Hardwicke got in some good remarks there. And speaking of Mr. H, I thought he was very good in 'Les Miserables' as Feaito said, H was up against two great actors, each of whom was at his best, in that one, March and Laughton. Hardwicke did very well. As always, Nice talking to you, mel