"B" movies series this month on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
markfp

"B" movies series this month on TCM

Post by markfp »

Is it just me? I find that I can't get interested in these series. I don't mind watching one now-and-then, but 6 or 8 in a day just doesn't do it for me. I know these were very popular in their day and had a big following. Perhaps, I'm too young, having started watching films in the '50's, and they weren't shown much on TV in my town. (Wow! It sure feels good to say I'm too young about something)

Now, I'm not complaining about TCM's programming. In fact, I'm glad they're doing it because a lot of folks like them. Unlike some people on the TCM site, I don't expect them to only show films that interest me and even if I don't care for them, at least, I enjoy the chance to sample a few. Anyway, I've got tons of movies I've recorded and haven't had a chance to see yet so I won't be bored.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

No, I don't think it's just you - some of these are pretty poorly done, and are more like throwaways and time fillers at a time when movie audiences expected two or three features at a time. An evening out at the movies in the Classic days was an actual entire evening out.

A lot of these B movies can be fun, and some can be quite good, even within a series - some are better than others. I had this experience watching the entire "My Dog Rusty" series on TCM - a few were terrible, but others were quite entertaining.

It's likely you'll catch a few this month that will be pleasant surprises. And I'd rather watch just about any B movie on TCM that sit through hours of mindless "reality" shows on network.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Mark said: I don't mind watching one now-and-then, but 6 or 8 in a day just doesn't do it for me.

Hi Mark - Yes, in general I agree wholeheartedly; this type of overkill is likely to do more harm than good in terms of helping to foster an appreciation for "B" films. My only personal exception would be THE WHISTLER series which, for me, are far superior to the other Columbia "B" mystery series films, partly because the central actor (Richard Dix) plays a completely different character each time out. Most of the others (Boston Blackie, Lone Wolf, etc) are merely average at best and one or two at a time is usually plenty.

And Judith, yes, even the lowliest "B" film is a much better alternative to network mediocrity. I'll take monochrome film emulsion over bland color video any day!
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I'm looking forward to watching The Whistler series. I realize some of the B movie series can get tedious but i'm glad that TCM is doing this. It's much better then the void that is seen during the weekday on TV.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I like the format of showing several of the series films in one day. If one is interested in a particular series, it's easier to record them together.

Sandy K