What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

RedRiver

Re: What Horror and Sc-Fi films have you seen lately?

Post by RedRiver »

I bought a five dollar special yesterday. A collection of bizarre "Brain Movies," or so it's marketed. THE BRAIN THAT WOUDN'T DIE ("Bury Me!"), Lon Jr. in THE INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN, a couple of "people turned into ape" movies, or something like that. I'm most interested in an Edgar G. Ulmer thriller called THE AMAZING TRANSPARENT MAN. I don't know if it's good. But I'll enjoy finding out!

I'm sure these movies are extremely low budget. Maybe laughably so. But soemtimes that's half the fun! BURY ME!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I'm most interested in an Edgar G. Ulmer thriller called THE AMAZING TRANSPARENT MAN. I don't know if it's good. But I'll enjoy finding out!
Yes, it is and...yes, you will.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I had a feeling we'd hear from Chicago on this topic!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Does anybody ever get to the bottom of those Bargain Bins? I go through a few handfuls, then give up!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

At five feet 0 inches tall, if I got to the bottom I'd never get out!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I watched two of my super cheap fantasies. I don't know if I like THE AMAZING TRANSPARENT MAN as much as Chio does. It's fun in a kind of laughable way. "Ow! The invisible guy is punching me. Ouch!" Charming in its very lack of resources. Obviously shot for next to nothing; an admirable job of filming by Edgar G. Ulmer. But the story is kind of silly. The mishaps that occur, more comical than scary. Cute show. But this is no DETOUR!

Last night I watched a disturbing thing called THE MANSTER. A Japanese scientist (in an American film) experiments with...I'm actually not sure! But the results are quite grotesque. Extra heads growing out of shoulders. Third eyes in odd places. And of course, the uncontrollable urge to kill! This is a slow moving story. I don't recommend it. But the creepy parts are exactly that. Nightmare fuel!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:
Last night I watched a disturbing thing called THE MANSTER. A Japanese scientist (in an American film) experiments with...I'm actually not sure! But the results are quite grotesque. Extra heads growing out of shoulders. Third eyes in odd places. And of course, the uncontrollable urge to kill! This is a slow moving story. I don't recommend it. But the creepy parts are exactly that. Nightmare fuel!

You describe this movie just perfectly Red River! ... I have seen this movie and I agree with you 100% ...
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Forbidden Planet

Starring Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, and Leslie Nielsen - this is a very iconic 1956 Movie that I haven't seen in very, very long time and I was very impressed of the special effects, the story of the movie, and the acting of both Pidgeon and Nielsen in this classic movie. It is one of the best movies ever came out in the 50's in terms of Science Fiction and I was very entertained by it and I enjoyed it immensely.

Of course Robbie the Robot ... one of the iconic robots came out during the 50's.

Memorable Images of the Movie

Walter Pidgeon operating the Morbius Apparatus

Anne Francis as Alta

She had an unique role in this movie and was the only person on that planet escaped ... I was surprised to see how well she played an a part in a science fiction genre.

I enjoyed watching this movie on TCM today.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This is sci-fi camp at its best. The first time I saw it was in a theatre. Chicago's Facets Multimedia. And in those days, well...let's just say I was under the influence!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

...And what about these days? :lol:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

After school. I'm in full puberty drive. Frances Farmer Presents is on. Movie: THE FORBIDDEN PLANET.

I watch. I scream: Hey, Swamp Fox! Alta is swimming NAKED and you turn your head? Idiot!

Along with the first viewing of Tarzan (TARZAN''S NEW YORK ADVENTURE), KING KONG and CITIZEN KANE, one of the more transformative moments in my movie viewing life.
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Frances Farmer Presents? THE Frances Farmer?
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Yes, THE Frances Farmer. Though, at that time, I didn't know she was THE. She was just the nice lady who hosted an afternoon TV program and introduced the movies. It ran from 1958 to 1964 on the NBC affiliate in Indianapolis.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I took my daughter and son to see "Catching Fire," the new "Hunger Games" movie.

We all liked it. My son felt the book was the weakest of the three, and he thought the movie did a good job improving/excising the book's weaknesses. I've never read the book, and I thought that while the movie seemed to take its time in the beginning, it did a good job of feeling like a new movie and not just a rehash of the first movie. I thought the "game" in the new film was good in that the viewer always had to ask whether the heroine could trust the other characters. Jena Malone as the "axe" girl and Sam Clafin as the guy with the three-bladed spear really added to the film in my opinion.

And Donald Sutherland was superb as the sly old fox of a President. His scenes with his granddaughter were terrific, and there is a moment when he is reading a book and notices an act of defiance on TV that is very nicely done.

I was perfectly happy with the ending. In fact, I found the ending refreshing in that it didn't try to tie everything up with a big bow around it. I liked that the movie left us in an unsettled place. (It is damn rare for a big budget sci-fi movie to do that these days.)

One word on the reviews of "Catching Fire" that I have read. Anyone who thinks Philip Seymour Hoffman gave the best performance in this movie must be in love with Philip Seymour Hoffman. He could have been replaced by a half-dozen other actors. Hoffman is a good actor, but I hardly consider his appearance here memorable.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks for the info on Catching Fire! I really have enjoyed the books and the first movie very much, they have an underlying thoughtful premise that really appeals to me, especially as a mother - they have a morality that I like, not just action for action's sake or rehashing some fable for teens as many movies do these days. The popularity of the books shows that today's teens have some literary leanings and taste, that they can understand where their society is going.

I can't remember what happened to Stanley Tucci's character, if anything, at the end of the last movie. I thought he and Sutherland brought an appropriate menace and irony to the first film. I don't really remember the book Catching Fire very well, I think that Tucci's character is not involved anymore at this point?