THE WHISTLER series Great "B" Noir / Mon 11/5

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

I know that I mentioned in this thread that I had no recollection of a 50s TV series of THE WHISTLER, but after reading Judith's post I'm left with the feeling that I must have seen at least one episode way back then. Our house was literally the first on the block with a television and it was turned on a lot all through the late 40s and early 50s. Mystery programs and old B movies were our favorite TV pastimes. I do recall seeing some of the WHISTLER Columbia films on TV in the late 50s and early 60s. Now I'm cerrtain the connection goes farther back. Thanks for the detective work!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Dewey1960 wrote:I know that I mentioned in this thread that I had no recollection of a 50s TV series of THE WHISTLER, but after reading Judith's post I'm left with the feeling that I must have seen at least one episode way back then. Our house was literally the first on the block with a television and it was turned on a lot all through the late 40s and early 50s. Mystery programs and old B movies were our favorite TV pastimes. I do recall seeing some of the WHISTLER Columbia films on TV in the late 50s and early 60s. Now I'm cerrtain the connection goes farther back. Thanks for the detective work!
Don't you find it to be true of so much of the old TV we saw as kids? There were so many imitative shows then (as now, of course) that I have increasing trouble differentiating them in my mind. Sometimes when I see a really old one from my childhood broadcast now I find that it's not at all the way I remember it. Plus, there were still a few radio dramas on the air when I was very little (certainly The Lone Ranger was still on radio then), so I don't know if I'm remember that or a TV version. One of the favorite games of my childhood was to tune into Arthur Godfrey on the radio when his TV show was on, turn off the TV sound, and use the radio as the audio. Very high tech.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Thanks for the additional memories, Judith. When I saw them it was late, late night on a local small band tv station, probably mid to late 70's. They seemed to come up with a wagon load of shows that no one else ever broadcast to fill their schedule. That programminmg only lasted a couple of years before they went to all syndicated talk shows and what not. Oh, the good old days!

I think they had Sky King too!
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.