Superheroes, would they make Super friends?

cinemalover

Superheroes, would they make Super friends?

Post by cinemalover »

Just a silly question to lighten the mood and start some conversation. If you could meet one superhero of comic, radio, television or bigscreen fame, who would it be? Of course, I'd never let you off quite that easy, I would like to know why you would want to meet them. Would they be good for a conversation over a cup of coffee or would they be constantly flying off to respond to a distant police scanner? I personally can't see sitting down with the Hulk, what if they forgot to put whip cream on his latte, that whole "Hulk smash!" routine could really ruin your reputation around the Starbuck's circles. The Human Torch might come in handy around a campfire but otherwise…. Puh-lease. Batman has always carried a certain instability that would really creep me out and I wouldn't be caught dead in public around Robin in that garish costume.

Also, which heroes would you avoid at all costs? I mean some of these folks have real issues. Whether they were bitten by a radioactive spider, injected by some super-serum, or just born on another planet, these are all issues that may make them social lepers. If you think about it, running around town in multicolored spandex is not a normal activity for most of us.

Maybe you once had dreams of growing up to be a superhero. Was the Justice League saving you a seat, just waiting for you to grow into your costume? The Fantastic Four’s membership seems limited by their name, but maybe Johnny Storm would flake out and you could step in to exchange verbal barbs with the Thing? Come on, ‘fess up, don’t be shy. This is just between you and me, no one else will ever see it.

Myself, I would want to meet Doc Savage, hero extraordinaire from pulp magazine and radio fame (and one semi-lame attempt on the bigscreen). This guy had it all! He was a genius in just about every field and his body was seemingly sculpted from bronze. He had an Artic Fortress of Solitude long before Supes stole the idea. He had five well-trained assistants and every gimmick you could ever imagine. He had his main offices within a New York skyscraper (an idea mimicked by the Fantastic Four), he had secret tunnels and exits with which to secretly depart in his assortment of specialty vehicles (say hello, Batman). This guy put the “super” in superhero. His adventures were reissued in paperback throughout the 60’s and 70’s with beautiful cover art. Yup, I’d like to sit him down and pick his brain. I bet I’d even come away with a few helpful stock tips to help my ailing portfolio.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Of course, I wouldn't mind sipping on a latte with Wonder Woman. We could discuss the socio-economic impact of global warming, while I admire her....costume.
Chris

MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I was a Marvel fan. Probably the two Marvel characters who seemed most fun to be around would be The Beast and Hawkeye, who were on "The Avengers" when I read marvel comics.

As for whose "costume" I would most like to look at, I confess to wanting to look at Tigra's. She was a minor Marvel character who ended up in the Avengers because i think the writers couldn't think of anything else to do with her because she couldn't support a book of her own. Still, I remember her fondly.
klondike

Post by klondike »

MikeBSG wrote:I was a Marvel fan. Probably the two Marvel characters who seemed most fun to be around would be The Beast and Hawkeye, who were on "The Avengers" when I read marvel comics.

As for whose "costume" I would most like to look at, I confess to wanting to look at Tigra's. She was a minor Marvel character who ended up in the Avengers because i think the writers couldn't think of anything else to do with her because she couldn't support a book of her own. Still, I remember her fondly.
Mike;

Big 10-4 and a solid-gold thumbs-up on Hawkeye bein' a commendable friend and neighbor; I've been a big time Hawkeye booster since I started following him in "The Avengers" back in '65, back when that monthly title cost all of 12 cents, and if I did all my homework and all my chores, I was allowed 2 comics a week, plus a Saturday matinee w/ popcorn.
And for .84 I could be pretty darn well-behaved (most of the time)!
Course, by the time adolescence exploded my reality, I was buying my own comics, and doin' a lot more thinking about (and staring at) those Jack Kirby/Jim Steranko heroines with their Porsche-corner-testing physiques clad in their positively pneumatic costumes . . WOOOF!
Looking back, I suppose I can be grateful that Lynda Carter didn't debut as TV's Wonder Woman until after I was out of high school . . or I probably would have busted something . . . !
:x :roll: :wink:
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I was always a Marvel first and foremost guy too. Give me your heroes with problems and insercurities, who needs those pampered rich guys who only run around in their underwear fighting crime to fight their own battles with boredom.

It was always interesting around the Avenger's table because there was a constant state of bickering between some of the team. Hawkeye hated Captain A. for his assumed leadership and perceived pushy manner. And that Quicksilver guy, he may have been named for his speed, but his temper was just as fleet.
Chris