Let's talk about Jesse Stone

mrsl

Let's talk about Jesse Stone

Post by mrsl »

For those of you who watched CBS between the years of 2005 and 2012, you probably know who Jesse Stone is, but since the last one (Benefit of the Doubt) came out in 2012, and you're a recent CBS viewer, you may not know who he is. But happy, happy news for those of us who are fans of this character, a new story (Lost in Paradise) is now in pre production which I assume means it's a go, but certain details are still not completed. I do recall his talking of Jesse with Dave Letterman and saying a new movie was being considered about a year ago, and with Tom's regular duties as the Big Chief, it might simply be a matter of waiting for the next break in his schedule.

Anyway, Jesse had an un-wanted breakup with his wife at the same time he lost his job as a cop, so he picked up and moved to upper Maine to become Chief of Police at a little town just off the land's end. Along the way he picks up a strange dog who just follows him around. He never does anything, in fact he rarely barks, but he is Jesse's sounding board. He would probably get over his ex-wife if she would quit calling him all the time and just saying how much she misses him, then he sits back and tells the dog his troubles. Stone is a perfect name for him because he is a man who seems made of stone. Nobody knows what he goes through at night alone especially when this jerky ex calls him and dumps on him. Kathy Baker has been in most of the movies as Stone's loyal assistant, and there is a lesser cop who is still a little tender for Stone's liking, but he is stringing him along, trying to show him the ropes.

The scripts are tightly written murder mysteries and highly well acted, directed, filmed and produced. Robert Parker is the author who books are the fodder for these movies. I must admit I've never read him although I may try one day. I never realized until writing this critique that perhaps the reason I liked Longmire so much is that he is the western version of Stone. Their attitudes, ways of life, and personalities are so similar that they could be written by the same person. Ha, that's a shocker for me.

I got the impression that we have a few other Stone fans here, so why don't you add your comments?
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
rohanaka

Re: Let's talk about Jesse Stone

Post by rohanaka »

I enjoyed the Jesse Stone series of films very much. I think he is a terrific character and really well played by Selleck. He's flawed (extremely so) but he wears it well. Sometimes he can almost break your heart. And yet.. he manages to get up, and keep going. One day at a time.. one step at a time. (And I really enjoy his interaction with his "adopted" dog too.. very emotional sometimes the way they both need each other, and neither one can show it) And hey.. he's a "classic film" buff. ha. Gotta love him for that. :) (and I even like how some of the plots in the films he has on tv will mirror something that is going on in the story.)

I like the "mystery" angle too . They really are some well-written stories. I like how Stone is a very "close to the vest" sort of guy in how he goes about working a case. He is very methodical in the way he puts things together, works them out, and carries them up to their final conclusion. Meanwhile he is driving everyone crazy because he won't follow their "play book" for how they THINK he should act. And I like that sometimes the things he is up to and what he is doing are hidden in plain sight.. even to the viewer. You see him "working it out" but you don't know HOW he's going to do it. Outwardly it seems like he is still figuring things, weighing the options, looking for leads, and still working the case. But really he's got it all put together in his head. Once the case is solved, it sometimes (on the surface) looks as if he has done it in a very offhand, almost "accidental" sort of way. But then, when it's all over, you can see that there really was nothing accidental about how he put it together afterall.

At least that is how it seems to me, sometimes. I may not be explaining it well.. I don't know. I just enjoy how it all plays out.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

There is a melancholy that floods these films. There is also a dry wicked sense of humor with it. Both of these things are what appeal to me most.

It is small town in every sense of the word. That plays to the film's advantage. Selleck is not a small town guy in his experience. That helps him in the crime portion but works against his personal life. He is a sad man. He drinks. He is still in love with his ex-wife. He's a better cop than this town needs. All this leads to some of the best scenes in the series. That is when he goes to visit his shrink played by William Devane. He is everything Stone is except he did it earlier. A former cop that used to drink he has been there so the dialog between the two is sharp, short and very funny. They all care for each other. It is more than a family feeling. I should say they care for each other except for Off. D'Angelo. He is a pain in Jesse's backside but it is never really made clear why.

The town is full of people who won't or can't go anywhere. I get the sense that no one is really happy there. Well, maybe Hasty is but he's divorced and worried his wife is sleeping with everyone else. He still loves her. The town council thinks they are important but they are not. I think they stay for the power.

It is a fine cast. The writing is good. What helps set a firm foundation is Jeff Beal's music. Moody and lovely it fits a perfect undercurrent to the mindset, mostly of Jesse, but to a town that wants to be more than what it is if only it could figure it out.

Once again a series that skewed too old in the demographics was tossed aside. I read an article that Selleck didn't shop the series. He had a specific set of requirements and if some network was ready to meet them he was ready. If not he was happy playing in "Blue Bloods."

The new one is due in the fall and one more is to follow. Brought to by the fine folks at Hallmark.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

movieman: You are so right, it hadn't occurred to me until you mentioned it, but the music is definitely another character. It makes me sad to hear that Hallmark is taking over because out of the hundreds of channels I get, that is the only one I don't receive :cry: :cry: :cry:

I have 5 of the 8 movies and recently had my own private marathon. When you have that many, it's easy to forget the final outcome until very near the end, at least for me.
Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Jesse Stone: Lost In Paradise premieres on Hallmark Sunday Oct. 18. Repeats on the following weekend on Hallmark Movies and Mystery channel.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If you were hoping you got to see some old favorites in the new Jesse Stone picture you will not be disappointed. The first shot is a close up of William Devane as Dr. Dix asking Jesse what he has been doing for the last two years. Their pattern of short, smart aleck banter still lives and we are home again. Almost immediately thereafter we are sitting down with Brahms and an empty home.

Having said he did too good a job cleaning up Paradise he goes to Boston to the new head of homicide. There he meets up with the lovely Sydney Greenstreet who handled an investigation a few movies ago. He needs something to do so she gives his pick of unsolved murders to handle. Off he goes.

He picks a case where a man convicted of three rapes was automatically assumed to have committed a fourth. He denies the fourth. Jesse believes him and goes about his work.

Now, you know that all the cases in these films are secondary. This is no exception. It is still used as a vehicle for Jesse to stay out of trouble. He is less toxic that way. He has been able to move on from some things but not others. He can still be a teddy bear or "tough enough" (as he puts it) when he needs to be. So, it may not be the most complicated crime to solve but Jesse is still Jesse and that is what is important. Part of being Jesse also involves the ability to have an uncanny knack on drawing interest from much younger women. But, this is fiction so it can be what they want it to be.

It in nice to have the music back. It is nice to have some of the characters back. Mostly, it is nice to have Jesse back. There is another to come next year or so but how long the series can go with Selleck at 70 is anyone's guess. Who else could play him? Don't know but there are enough former James Bonds that maybe someone could but I don't know who - yet.
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Just like Sean Connery, will ever be 007 to me, and Tom Selleck will ever be Thomas Magnum, I don't believe there is another who could take over the role as effectively as Tom handles it. As far as I'm concerned, none of the followers ever achieved that twinkle that made 007 for Connery. If Pierce Brosnan had originated the role, it may have ended up being his alone, but instead Sean became 007. It looks like Kathy Baker may return for a short time to Jessie Stone and that would help. She is the only one to nearly break his shell - she never broke it, but she did crack it a little. Believe it or not, I got three Stone movies for $5.00 each at Walmart, and one day I got a 4 in 1 pack also for $5.00. So I ended up having 7 put of the nine movies. hopefully I can get the rest and hae my own marathon whenever I want to. Playing all of them at once, it's easy to forget what happened in each. AT&T Uverse picked up the Hallmart channel just in time.
Anne

Vienna

Post by Vienna »

I've just discovered Jesse Stone and love it. I have two to catch up with (they are in the post to me) and then I will have seen them all up to 2012. I don't know when I will get to see the latest one here in the UK.
I wonder why there were no shows in 2013 and 2014.
I echo all that has been said. I just love the characters, the writing, the wonderful music - and the dog - both of them. The dry humour - "I'm the chief of police, I know everything."
William Devane and Stephen McHattie are effortlessly great support to Tom Selleck who has made Jesse such a great character.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Vienna:

After the 2012 showing CBS dropped the series. Like so many things in TV now CBS didn't like the fact that the audience was older than they wanted for the money they spent. (Besides Selleck was busy with Blue Bloods.) It took most of that time for someone (Hallmark) to agree to financing the movies. Selleck wanted control and a minimum of two. Hallmark had great success showing the earlier so they took on this one. The new film didn't get CBS numbers but it had a very respectable size audience here.
Chris

Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I must admit I had never heard of the 'Jesse Stone' series of telefilms, and have started to look into them.

Yes, it's true, I did not watch CBS (or any other television channel) during the years they were broadcast. Never watched "Magnum, P.I." in its day either, although I did watch television back then. I have enjoyed Tom Selleck's work in other productions, though, such as Three Men and a Baby. :)

Think I'll start with the first one from 2005, "Stone Cold," and go from there. Thanks mrsl and others for this discussion. :)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Actually, I think you should watch the second one first. "Night Passage" was shot after "Stone Cold" but is a prequel. Watch "Stone Cold" second and then the rest come in order.
Chris

Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Thank you for the advice Movieman1957. I watched "Night Passage" first and then "Stone Cold." I found "Stone Cold" to be much better-made and more interesting in terms of plot and characters, but appreciated having the background info from "Night Passage." I've got the rest of the entries from the original CBS series of telefilms queued up and ready to go! Am enjoying Tom Selleck's creation of the title character, but do hope that Jesse will learn to drink less with time. And I would like to understand better his continuing long-distance relationship with his ex-wife, which is a bit unusual.