August 2023 Schedule Posted, Summer Under the Stars

Discussion of programming on TCM.
HoldenIsHere

Re: August 2023 Schedule Posted, Summer Under the Stars

Post by HoldenIsHere »

TikiSoo wrote: August 27th, 2023, 5:57 am
txfilmfan wrote: August 26th, 2023, 10:18 pm Hard to believe they're showing Bogart films without screening Casablanca!
If you know anything about Studio rental packages, you'd know Casablanca is the very highest "tier" when leasing for broadcast and is packaged along with unrelated movie stinkers that must be broadcast as part of the package.(this is why TCM has Underground & Saturday serials, for the misfits)

Whomever holds the rights to Casablanca thinks it's gold and keeps a tight, exploitative grip on it.
Personally, I find Casablanca a yawn.
For me, THE MALTESE FALCON is a lot more enjoyable than CASABLANCA, but I know quite a few people who really love CASABLANCA.

The parody of CASABLANCA in THE CHEAP DETECTIVE (With Louise Fletcher as the Ingrid Bergman character) is hilarious.
"Give him to the g.d. papers!"

jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Hey Tiki!
Wikipedia says Casablanca should be the property of WB.
I do agree with you as cable television works the same.
Streaming is making an even bigger mess with all the free stuff.
Hundreds of channels. Many useless.
Truly glad it is nearly September.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

As others have noted TCM shows Casablanca way too often. Therefore, it was a relief to NOT see it shown on Bogies' SUTS day. It was my understanding most of us what TCM to mix-it-up (instead of the same-old-same-old), and this is what TCM did by not showing Casablanca (but not enough since they still showed mostly the 'classic' Warner Bogie films).
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

It would make sense for TCM to show some movies like Casablanca in the overnight hours, some of the time.
Good old "Christmas in Connecticut" plays too much.
We did not see The Lady Eve" this time.
We did not see Henry Fonda this time.
I feel TCM did okay this time with SUTS.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: August 29th, 2023, 4:51 pm As others have noted TCM shows Casablanca way too often. Therefore, it was a relief to NOT see it shown on Bogies' SUTS day. It was my understanding most of us what TCM to mix-it-up (instead of the same-old-same-old), and this is what TCM did by not showing Casablanca (but not enough since they still showed mostly the 'classic' Warner Bogie films).
I think there was a time when CASABLANCA was rarely seen on TCM just as there was a time when SOME LIKE IT HOT was rarely seen.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

txfilmfan wrote: August 26th, 2023, 10:18 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: August 26th, 2023, 7:09 pm Humphrey Bogart tomorrow!

THE RETURN OF DR. X! Do not miss!
Hard to believe they're showing Bogart films without screening Casablanca!

I know, but think what the rest of you would have missed if they skipped THE RETURN OF DR. X!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I am a heterosexual female who would gladly have followed Sophia Loren down the street in THE GOLD OF NAPLES!

Not that Marcello Mastroianni is chopped liver.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

What, no HOUSE OF DRACULA for John Carradine today?

I am pulverized by this latest action! (to paraphrase Little Edie from GREY GARDENS)

(okay, I guess not really, lol....)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

We can be grateful that John Carradine's status as a member of John Ford's company is in full force this evening.

For anyone who has not seen Ford's THE GRAPES OF WRATH, I urge you to do so. In my humble opinion this is the director's best and I think it nudges out CITIZEN KANE and THE GODFATHER (1 and 2) as the greatest American movie ever made. (Henry Fonda should have won the Oscar over James Stewart)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I think DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK will also be shown tonight. It's Ford at his most picturesque. Carradine gives another brief yet memorable performance. Claudette Colbert's eyebrows take some getting used to. This is the only film where I find Henry Fonda even remotely sexy. And Edna is marvelous.