Noir Alley

Andree

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Andree »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: October 25th, 2023, 5:41 pm
FTN? Find The Noir?
Not a bad guess. FTN stands for Fear Thy Neighbor. a true crime show on the ID network. It's about neighbors
who are getting along fairly well until some petty argument escalates and usually ends fatally. It's does have
touches of black humor, probably unintended.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Andree wrote: October 18th, 2023, 4:39 pm
ElCid wrote: October 18th, 2023, 9:07 am

I think the old bucket of bolts was part of their cover. Of course this contrasted somewhat with them being able to purchase a gas station and a large house with a three car garage, even with loans. The house was needed to house all the criminals. At the beginning of movie Calhoun is driving a Chrysler New Yorker convertible, which was his actual car.
That's a possibility. They didn't need to have a band new Caddy, just something better than the car they did have.
If you're going to pull a big caper you want reliable transportation. Then again, it's just a movie.
Part of the plan was for Calhoun and wife to remain in town and work the station for another couple of months or longer to eliminate suspicion on them. So no "escape" plans requiring a better car initially. I'm sure the New Yorker was somewhere close at hand.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: October 25th, 2023, 5:41 pm
Hibi wrote: October 24th, 2023, 8:52 am

Did you watch FTN last night?? That episode really made me angry. What a nutcase and hypocrite!!!!!!! A man of GOD?????

FTN? Find The Noir?

LOL! NO, but good guess though! It's a series on the Dateline ID channel that we are "fans" of that runs from time to time. It's Fear Thy Neighbor. Reenactments of real life neighbor feuds that end badly. It's pretty noirish now that I think about it!
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

[/quote]

LOL! NO, but good guess though! It's a series on the Dateline ID channel that we are "fans" of that runs from time to time. It's Fear Thy Neighbor. Reenactments of real life neighbor feuds that end badly. It's pretty noirish now that I think about it!
[/quote]

Ha-Ha, and I have seen that show many times, surprised to see it discussed on here.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

This week's Noir Alley film is Experiment in Terror. Mostly a police procedural drama, with limited noir elements. The most interesting noir vibe scenes involve Patricia Huston (and mannequins). Ross Martin stands out and is very creepy. Of course, there are the two lovey sisters in Lee Remick and Stefanie Powers.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I've seen it several times but will probably watch again. Has been awhile.
Andree

Post by Andree »

ElCid wrote: October 26th, 2023, 8:56 am
Part of the plan was for Calhoun and wife to remain in town and work the station for another couple of months or longer to eliminate suspicion on them. So no "escape" plans requiring a better car initially. I'm sure the New Yorker was somewhere close at hand.
I guess in the bigger scheme of things, it wasn't a big deal. It's just one of those things that might be
noticed on the side. Yeah, get that fancy New Yorker out at the right time.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
laffite

Post by laffite »

kingrat wrote: October 29th, 2023, 7:35 pm And back to Noir Alley and the excellent EXPERIMENT IN TERROR. Eddie Muller gave us the San Francisco background, much welcome, and noted Blake Edwards' connections to TV detective shows like PETER GUNN. He also noted the striking camerawork.

This film and DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES are so much better directed than Edwards' comedies that I once suggested that the real Blake Edwards was temporarily replaced by another Blake Edwards from a parallel universe. Mayne Lee Remick was his real muse. In any event, this film is first-rate, with a wonderful score by Henry Mancini. No title song this time.

It is sometimes easy for me to overlook what a good actor Glenn Ford is. Ross Martin makes a great villain.

I am so glad that ABANDONED will be shown next week. I saw it at a film festival a few years back. It's a good one, noir to the core, with some fine shots of downtown LA.
I recall being alongside my radio listening to the Dodger game. Vince Scully at one point dropped the announcing of the game and assumed a decidedly mysterious lilt to his voice and said, "Tonight they are filming a movie entitled ... An Experiment in Terror" the title of the movie spoken in a way that might suggest that there was terror everywhere.
The Shining Hour (1938)
laffite

Post by laffite »

And there is.
The Shining Hour (1938)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

In a creep match, who comes out on top -- Ross Martin in EXPERIMENT IN TERROR or Alan Arkin in WAIT UNTIL DARK?
MissWonderly

Post by MissWonderly »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 30th, 2023, 6:43 pm In a creep match, who comes out on top -- Ross Martin in EXPERIMENT IN TERROR or Alan Arkin in WAIT UNTIL DARK?
Well, they're both pretty creepy, but I do think Ross Martin's scary character in Experiment in Terror is definitely creepier. That opening scene where he grabs Lee Remick from behind in the garage for starters.
Bronxgirl48

RAe: Noir Alley

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I would agree. And for me the ultimate creep-out scene in TERROR is Remick at the mirror in the women's restroom....