Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Hibi

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Post by Hibi »

Yes, he was in a good number of them also. I like the one where he plots to kill his wife, and it doesn't turn out as he planned........
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 9:51 am
Didn't Walter Matthau play the cop? He was in several episodes.
I couldn't remember who played the cop until Dargo came to the rescue. I can almost hear
Matthau's syrupy southern accent and his passive-aggressive attitude. I also liked the
one with David Wayne, and the old gossip on the phone who came to a bad ending.
There was a good one titled something like Road Hog with Robert Emhardt. He played
a salesmen out in the boonies. Some family with a medical emergency gets behind
his car and he won't let them pass. Then when he needs to get somewhere they do
the same thing to him. I know he was in a number of episodes. One I recall is when
he wants to buy a house because there is some kind of hidden money or something
in it.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: December 11th, 2023, 4:35 pm
Hibi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 9:51 am
Didn't Walter Matthau play the cop? He was in several episodes.
I couldn't remember who played the cop until Dargo came to the rescue. I can almost hear
Matthau's syrupy southern accent and his passive-aggressive attitude. I also liked the
one with David Wayne, and the old gossip on the phone who came to a bad ending.
There was a good one titled something like Road Hog with Robert Emhardt. He played
a salesmen out in the boonies. Some family with a medical emergency gets behind
his car and he won't let them pass. Then when he needs to get somewhere they do
the same thing to him. I know he was in a number of episodes. One I recall is when
he wants to buy a house because there is some kind of hidden money or something
in it.

He played another baddie in an hr long episode with Peter Fonda who gets his revenge later on in a barber shop. Every once in awhile he'd play a good guy and it would throw you off.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 4:02 pm Yes, he was in a good number of them also. I like the one where he plots to kill his wife, and it doesn't turn out as he planned........
Yeah, that's a good one too.

Another one that starred Horton that I've always thought was one of the better episodes also involves a wife...but not his this time.

In the episode 'A Bottle of Wine' (first telecast: 2/3/1957) he stars opposite Herbert Marshall as a man who has come to Marshall's large mansion in order to take away the older man's wife.

(...considering he played that type so often in the movies, who else could have been better cast as the cuckold husband than poor ol' Herbert)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: December 11th, 2023, 5:40 pm
Hibi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 4:02 pm Yes, he was in a good number of them also. I like the one where he plots to kill his wife, and it doesn't turn out as he planned........
Yeah, that's a good one too.

Another one that starred Horton that I've always thought was one of the better episodes also involves a wife...but not his this time.

In the episode 'A Bottle of Wine' (first telecast: 2/3/1957) he stars opposite Herbert Marshall as a man who has come to Marshall's large mansion in order to take away the older man's wife.

(...considering he played that type so often in the movies, who else could have been better cast as the cuckold husband than poor ol' Herbert)
Yes, I remember that one too!
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 5:12 pm
He played another baddie in an hr long episode with Peter Fonda who gets his revenge later on in a barber shop. Every once in awhile he'd play a good guy and it would throw you off.
That was one of the better of the hour long episodes. Scared to death with hardly a movement on
Fonda's part. I took a quick look at Emhardt's Wiki entry. He played in six half hour episodes and
only one hour episode, you one you mentioned. One I recall is Martha Mason, Movie Star. He
played the fed up hubby of a average woman, played by Judith Evelyn, who worships a movie star.
Bob comes to an unfortunate end, as so often happens in AHP and TAHH. I am happy to say that
he lived to be 80, which is pretty good considering he was always overweight by a fair amount.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: December 11th, 2023, 6:12 pm
Hibi wrote: December 11th, 2023, 5:12 pm
That was one of the better of the hour long episodes. Scared to death with hardly a movement on
Fonda's part. I took a quick look at Emhardt's Wiki entry. He played in six half hour episodes and
only one hour episode, you one you mentioned. One I recall is Martha Mason, Movie Star. He
played the fed up hubby of a average woman, played by Judith Evelyn, who worships a movie star.
Bob comes to an unfortunate end, as so often happens in AHP and TAHH. I am happy to say that
he lived to be 80, which is pretty good considering he was always overweight by a fair amount.

Yeah, he was in quite a few of them. Usually as a bad guy, but I remember one where he turned out to be a good guy in the end! That's a pretty good age considering his weight.