Lewis Milestone

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
ken123

Lewis Milestone

Post by ken123 »

The man who directed such film as All Quiet on the Western Front, Of Mice & men, The Strange Love of Martha Ivers, A Walk in the Sun, and Pork Chop Hill seems somewhat forgotten today. Are they any comments ?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Have recently seen "Pork Chop Hill" and it is a great film. Peck gives a very good performance. It's all about the futility of the battle. I found "A Walk In The Sun" pretty good but slower than "Hill."

He seemed to have quite a gift for war movies. Plenty of other good films though.

I saw an episode of "Have Gun-Will Travel" he did. Great use of shadow and light in an unusual story.

It seems most people remember "All Quiet..." but you don't hear much about his other work. "The Red Pony" is coming up on TCM soon.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

You bet I'm a fan! He directed two BIG favorites: The General Died at Dawn and (another Eric Maria Remarque novel) Arch of Triumph, both beautifully shot films, the latter packing a tremendous emotional punch. These, The Front Page, Rain and All Quiet on the Western Front make his a name I'm happy to see in any credit sequence.