MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo wrote: April 7th, 2024, 11:49 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 7th, 2024, 11:47 pm
Dargo wrote: April 7th, 2024, 1:54 am

Ya know what else was unfortunate about this movie, Bronxie?

That Eve Arden's real life squeeze during the time this movie was being filmed didn't play the lead in it instead of Robert Walker.

I'm talkin' Danny Kaye here, of course. Yep, as I watched this so-so little comedy tonight, I started thinking that Danny would've been better cast in it and perhaps would had enlivened it a bit more.

(...well, during the times I wasn't transfixed upon Ava's glorious beauty, anyway)

Dargo, I agree 100 per cent with Andree's astute post about Danny Kaye instead of Robert Walker. And couldn't have stated it any better than him.
Okay, fair enough.

(...but I still say the movie needed a bit of a "punch-up" and that Danny Boy would've been just the man to do it)

I hear you and could indeed see a literally and figuratively colorful Kaye production if they wanted to go that route. And I'll add that -- even though Ava is perfect in this role -- I could also see Rhonda Fleming as Venus, although perhaps she would not have imbued the goddess with as much natural warmth and charm as Gardner.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

And of course it goes without saying that Rita Hayworth would have been Venus choice numero uno, but she already played an ancient fantasy figure in 1947's DOWN TO EARTH.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:07 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 7th, 2024, 11:58 pm
Could not agree more with your opinion about Danny Kaye in ONE TOUCH OF VENUS, Andree.

I've heard about Danny's friendship with Olivier. Aside from anything else, the English were big fans of Kaye during his heyday so it doesn't seem all that, well, odd to me that one of their "classy" actors would think it beneath them to bond with a famous American comedian.
Actually here Bronxie, I think what Andree was subtly suggesting with his mention of Olivier was more the idea of the rumors that once swirled that their "friendship" was more than just that.

Oh I know. I was also trying to be subtle about it.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 5th, 2024, 2:25 pm
Hibi wrote: April 4th, 2024, 1:45 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 10:31 pm Hibi, I kind of like TAKE HER, SHE'S MINE but it's creepy what with James Stewart being so obsessed over daughter Sandra Dee's virginity. Robert Morley's dry British wit is welcome, though. There's a running gag throughout the movie -- everyone thinks Jimmy is Jimmy Stewart the actor, lol. Morley sees him walking out of a hotel and exclaims to a passerby: "Do you know who that is? James Stewart! (sighs) Will you ever forget him in GONE WITH THE WIND?"

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS is all camp as far as I'm concerned, lol. But that's much better than being dull; i.e., THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD.
It's been so long since I've seen Take Her I can't remember much about it! I think Elizabeth Ashley played the part on Broadway (not Jimmy's role!)

Was it a Broadway play? Ashley played a lot of those roles on stage.
Yes, it was. Art Carney played Jimmy's role.
Last edited by Hibi on April 8th, 2024, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 5th, 2024, 2:36 pm
Hibi wrote: April 5th, 2024, 8:44 am
Dargo wrote: March 29th, 2024, 11:38 am

I watched it last night Hibi, and I don't think I laughed once during it. Yep, it was pretty bad.

The only things I can say I liked about it was seeing Debbie and Tony during a time in which they were probably at the height of their physical attractiveness, and seeing all the toney SoCal locations shown in it such as Malibu during the time of its production of the mid-'60s.

(...oh, and Pat Boone's Ferrari and Tony's E-Type Jaguar were pretty attractive to me as well, of course)

I finished the second hr. of Goodbye, Charlie last night (nothing worth watching on tv) and have to concur. I didn't laugh ONCE! And what a lame ending. NO STARS.

Well, I gotta admit GOODBYE CHARLIE is not a laugh-out-loud movie or conventionally amusing in any important way -- but I love the ending! So cute!

You are a tough critic, Hibi, lol. But I still love you!
LOL! Ditto! We'll have to agree to disagree on this one! :D
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 6th, 2024, 11:08 pm Connie Stevens Campy Film Alert!

Early tomorrow Sunday, TWO ON A GUILLOTINE and SUSAN SLADE!
Sorry to say, I missed both! Keep hoping TCM will show SCORCHY someday!! an AIP exploitation flick Connie did in the 70s playing a no holds barred (and bared!) policewoman!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Swithin wrote: April 5th, 2024, 4:19 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 4th, 2024, 5:47 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: April 4th, 2024, 4:27 pm

You can thank Martin Scorsese for that one. The next few Saturdays are part of a director-programmed double-feature (mostly of newer films; indeed one director chose a double feature of 1991's [wonderful] The Fisher King and 2008's Synecdoche New York), and that was one of his two picks. So glad it makes you happy. :)
On Saturday 6/22/24, the two movies chosen by Todd Haynes are:

THE GO-BETWEEN (1971)
SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY (1971)

I really hope the version of THE GO-BETWEEN that's shown isn't the pan-and-scan print that TCM aired previously.
The movie has a great screenplay by Harold Pinter and a wonderful performance by Julie Christie, but when we watched it on TCM the sweetie commented "This looks like an old VHS recording."
Holden, are you familiar with the British musical adaptation of The Go-Between of a few years ago (2016)? It was lovely, though too small and unflashy to be a hit. Michael Crawford, then in his 70s, played older Leo. He was onstage throughout, occasionally communicating with his younger self.

https://www.londontheatre.co.uk/reviews/the-go-between#

YES! Every time TCM shows The Go Between they show the pan and scan version! I hope that's not the case this time. Looking forward to this double bill. Hope I don't forget. Back in the day when adult dramatic films were commonplace.....
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 7th, 2024, 11:58 pm
Andree wrote: April 7th, 2024, 9:22 pm
Dargo wrote: April 7th, 2024, 7:11 pm
So Andree, considering that I respect your opinion about things (and not to mention usually find myself agreeing with 'em), what did you think of my thought that Danny Kaye might've enlivened the proceedings in that Venus flick, and so making it just a wee bit better and more entertaining than it was?
I don't know about Danny Kaye. With his energetic, sometimes over the top
persona he might have made it more entertaining and comical, but that
might have lessened its charm and made it more like a typical musical.
I think Walker works better as an unassuming, somewhat bumbling everyday
guy and to me that clicks better with the fantasy premise of the movie.
But that's just one opinion. Maybe Danny could have gotten some tips from
his good buddy Larry Olivier.

Maybe my eyes were deceiving me, but Ava Gardner's tunic seemed a bit
too transparent, not that I'm complaining. :smiley_innocent:
[/quote

Could not agree more with your opinion about Danny Kaye in ONE TOUCH OF VENUS, Andree.

I've heard about Danny's friendship with Olivier. Aside from anything else, the English were big fans of Kaye during his heyday so it doesn't seem all that, well, odd to me that one of their "classy" actors would think it beneath them to bond with a famous American comedian.

Some said Danny and Larry bonded in other ways too!
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Hibi wrote: April 8th, 2024, 9:26 am
Sorry to say, I missed both! Keep hoping TCM will show SCORCHY someday!! an AIP exploitation flick Connie did in the 70s playing a no holds barred (and bared!) policewoman!
I always enjoyed Glenda Farrell as Scorchy Blane.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Fedya wrote: April 8th, 2024, 11:16 am
I always enjoyed Glenda Farrell as Scorchy Blane.
LOL!!!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: April 8th, 2024, 9:21 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 5th, 2024, 2:25 pm
Hibi wrote: April 4th, 2024, 1:45 pm

It's been so long since I've seen Take Her I can't remember much about it! I think Elizabeth Ashley played the part on Broadway (not Jimmy's role!)

Was it a Broadway play? Ashley played a lot of those roles on stage.
Yes, it was. Art Carney played Jimmy's role.

Interesting! Thanks! I can't see Art as a flustery dad, though, lol.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Wow, I never even heard of that one, much less starring Connie Stevens.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: April 8th, 2024, 9:22 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 5th, 2024, 2:36 pm
Hibi wrote: April 5th, 2024, 8:44 am

I finished the second hr. of Goodbye, Charlie last night (nothing worth watching on tv) and have to concur. I didn't laugh ONCE! And what a lame ending. NO STARS.

Well, I gotta admit GOODBYE CHARLIE is not a laugh-out-loud movie or conventionally amusing in any important way -- but I love the ending! So cute!

You are a tough critic, Hibi, lol. But I still love you!
LOL! Ditto! We'll have to agree to disagree on this one! :D

Thanks my friend. My main "mission statement" for this thread was to keep it civil but still fun, lol.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:56 pm

Yeah, it played out quickly. Mostly drive in bookings. Go to imdb and read some of the reviews. Bound to get you chuckling!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:56 pm

Connie Stevens was one of the teachers in GREASE 2.

She was on hand for the infamous "Reproduction" number featuring Tab Hunter as the sex education teacher.

How could anyone not love this?
Just sayin' . . .