I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jimimac71

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by jimimac71 »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:59 pm I never get tired of A FACE IN THE CROWD (which is a good thing since they air it so much, lol) so decided to dive in again.

Now, some of you might know that my recent great will power (not when it comes to Lay's Dill Pickle potato chips) concerning maintaining a calm attitude towards a certain main host's intros and outros was, shall I say, sorely tested the other night while this individual was chatting with their guest programmer about the prescient nature of the movie. Mr. Main went political, naming three people on a certain side of the aisle, including the current presumptive presidential nominee.

I admittedly fumed for about five minutes, then took deep breaths and went into zen mode. Slowly but surely, all was well again!
I’m a fan of Andy Griffith on TV but his movies are annoying.
No Time For Sargents/A Face In The Crowd are crazy stupid.
Love Matlock and enjoy the Andy Griffith show.
The Waitress was okay and Play The Game was Andy’s suggestive side.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Lonesome Rhodes is one of those come-from-nowhere performances that always astound me. I wonder where Andy pulled that darkness from? Great acting. I can understand your feelings, jimimac, about NTFS but I do think AFITC is one of Kazan's best. One never expects to see Walter Matthau as "Vanderbilt '44" but he does a credible job, albeit helped along by the "intellectual" props of pipe and glasses, lol. Patricia Neal is terrific. Her anguished groan after seeing Lonesome descend from the plane with a certain someone is unforgettable.
laffite

Post by laffite »

jimimac71 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 9:16 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:59 pm I never get tired of A FACE IN THE CROWD (which is a good thing since they air it so much, lol) so decided to dive in again.

Now, some of you might know that my recent great will power (not when it comes to Lay's Dill Pickle potato chips) concerning maintaining a calm attitude towards a certain main host's intros and outros was, shall I say, sorely tested the other night while this individual was chatting with their guest programmer about the prescient nature of the movie. Mr. Main went political, naming three people on a certain side of the aisle, including the current presumptive presidential nominee.

I admittedly fumed for about five minutes, then took deep breaths and went into zen mode. Slowly but surely, all was well again!

I’m a fan of Andy Griffith on TV but his movies are annoying.
No Time For Sargents/A Face In The Crowd are crazy stupid.
Love Matlock and enjoy the Andy Griffith show.
The Waitress was okay and Play The Game was Andy’s suggestive side.
I can't get through Face in the Crowd but it is evident that he was a great actor. But if I have it right from reading he ne'er came close to potential after that, due to his rather bland career choices.
"Edith"
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 9:25 pm Lonesome Rhodes is one of those come-from-nowhere performances that always astound me. I wonder where Andy pulled that darkness from? Great acting. I can understand your feelings, jimimac, about NTFS but I do think AFITC is one of Kazan's best. One never expects to see Walter Matthau as "Vanderbilt '44" but he does a credible job, albeit helped along by the "intellectual" props of pipe and glasses, lol. Patricia Neal is terrific. Her anguished groan after seeing Lonesome descend from the plane with a certain someone is unforgettable.
There are stories of Griffith's temper on set of his first series that would indicate there's a bit of Lonesome in him. There's probably a bit of Lonesome in most of us. Griffith's folksy demeanor in portraying Andy Taylor was an acting job, after all.

George Lindsey was on record stating that "Most of us were deathly afraid of Andy. Every Monday night, he would call you if he liked your performance.
If the call didn't come, I dreaded going back to work on Tuesday morning." There's also a story of him breaking a car windshield after an argument with his wife.

There are a couple of episodes in the second season of The Andy Griffith Show where Andy Taylor's hand is in a cast. The reason? Griffith got so angry on set that he punched a wall, spraining his wrist.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Oh my gosh, txfilmfan, I got a chill reading that! Had no idea...

Or, to quote Lonesome, "Moly Hoses!"
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 9:45 pm Oh my gosh, txfilmfan, I got a chill reading that! Had no idea...

This short story has a quote from Griffith himself on his temper..

https://www.metv.com/stories/andy-griff ... dy-taylor
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Lorna, love your THE MIND READER post.

I'm not gung-ho about Warren William in general but "a walking venereal disease", wow, lol. (wonder who that person is) I always found him stage-hammy, but gentlemanly. I usually never believe him in any role, most particularly an ichthyologist. But not too bad (if you blink you might miss him) in THE WOLF MAN as Larry Talbot's doctor.

Agree about the turban -- Bela rocks it as Roxor in CHANDU THE MAGICIAN. Very sexy!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

txfilmfan wrote: May 5th, 2024, 9:51 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 9:45 pm Oh my gosh, txfilmfan, I got a chill reading that! Had no idea...

This short story has a quote from Griffith himself on his temper..

https://www.metv.com/stories/andy-griff ... dy-taylor

Thanks so much! At least he was self-aware.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Coincidentally, Return to Mayberry the 1986 TV movie was on METV this
afternoon. IIRC it was a big hit when first shown. Not much of a plot, but it
was fun to see the characters as they are almost 20 years later. I remember
Andy in a few TV movies where he was a real mean s.o.b. and he was quite
convincing in those parts.

DJT, Lonesome Rhodes with a degree from Wharton. :smiley_shades:
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Fedya wrote: May 5th, 2024, 6:08 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: May 5th, 2024, 3:42 pm Trying again:

JAWS (1975) Are there different cuts of this film? Does Mrs Kintner slap or spit?
Or swallow?
Sorry to interrupt. I though she spat, but the other night I saw her slap. I was curious to know if anyone might have insight.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:06 pm I am still recovering from PORTNOY'S COMPLAINT.

Oy vey.

Not the best choice.....
Thus endeth BRONXGIRL'S COMPLAINT.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

txfilmfan wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 11:32 am
Hibi wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 8:05 am Back to Perry Mason. Bette was on last night pinch hitting for Perry defending Michael Parks. (Does anyone know what his operation was about when he was out of the show for awhile? It's not a very good episode (I'd seen it before). It must've been shot around the time of Dead Ringer as she's wearing the same styled wig as she wore in that film.
It's like that old Tootsie Pop commercial: "The world may never know." Burr, who famously fudged his personal life details for decades, never really explained it. Burr supposedly said afterwards in a talk show that he had a non-serious physical condition that prohibited him from being able to stand or move comfortably. Clears things up...

Media at the time said it was some kind of intestinal surgery. Some stated it was for polyp removal. Whether it was cancerous or not is up for debate, as sources at the time said both. Other sources said he was in for dental surgery.

Bette Davis on a TV show is somewhat jarring, to me. Last night on MeTV, I caught the last 5 minutes of an Alfred Hitchcock episode that she was in. Never knew she did that show. When the credits rolled, the director of that episode was Paul Henreid! Never knew he directed any TV shows, but in looking it up this morning I see he has numerous TV directing credits on ImDB (including 28 episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents) .

Do you think he lit a cigarette for her on set?

Maybe off set! (Lighting up). LOL. I've seen that Hitchcock episode several times. Bette is good in that. She seemed somewhat less effective in Perry Mason. Maybe it was the script, but I just didn't buy her as a lawyer. That clears things up about Burr. NOT! Never read anything about what the medical problem was about. Guess it wasn't serious as he lived on through 2 more tv series......

Actually Bette did a good number of guest spots on tv. She was in a couple of Wagon Trains and a Gunsmoke that I remember seeing.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jimimac71 wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 12:18 pm
Hibi wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 7:49 am
jimimac71 wrote: May 1st, 2024, 5:01 pm

I only pay for cable TV as well. The above channels are free.
You would need a streaming device and you have Internet.
My Xfinity/Comcast TV box has a select amount of Internet services. Nothing to directly compete with them.
I am experimenting with streaming to learn and hopeful dump cable television.
I become infuriated when TV channels override news programming for sports.
Last Sunday, my local Fox affiliate had zero news all day or night.
I can watch network news on a streaming service from all of the networks.
On a side note, except for Major League Baseball and TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES!, I could stream almost everything we need on a daily basis for $25/month using Philo. I could stream Minor League Baseball for cheap! That leaves TCM!
All they have to do is sell me Watch TCM and I can save a lot on television.
The other option is to be dishonest and use someone's credentials for Watch TCM.
Of the 3 channels, Pluto TV is probably available if your cable box has streaming.
In my case, Internet and TV both come from Xfinity/Comcast. The TV box is already connected to my Wi-Fi .
I don't have internet and my cable doesn't have streaming (probably does if I pay more, but I'm not going to). I hate that too. Local stations are constantly preempting over weather events. (most of the time not affecting our metro area.)
So Hibi, how do you access the forum without Internet?
I feel the Internet is a must have.
I have TV and Internet with Xfinity/Comcast.
It costs $232/month.
I could save money with streaming but cable has everything in one place. I grew up with cable and most of my family has been employed by cable television.
I do my best to avoid Perry Mason. Matlock is much better for me.
You can watch Perry Mason then Matlock on MeTV.
For me it's on in the morning, starting at 9AM (California).
CBS is still planning on the "New" Matlock.
A reboot of The Hollywood Squares with Drew Barrymore in the center square.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/cbs-r ... r-AA1o3cq7
I use my work computer (don't tell!) You'll notice I'm not around on weekends. I'm planning on retiring soon so I'll have to get internet then. At least a smart phone!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:06 pm I am still recovering from PORTNOY'S COMPLAINT.

Oy vey.

Not the best choice.....
LOL. I warned you!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:49 pm Or --- TRILOGY OF TERROR!

Actually it was Lee Grant as Alex's mother who was the real scary one.

I barely recognized Jill Clayburgh as the Israeli girl.
A lot of her scenes were cut. (the growing up part).