Wicked (movie version)

Marysara1

Re: Wicked (movie version)

Post by Marysara1 »

I might wait for both parts to come out. It's my understanding that Wicked (the movie) is 2 parts. Being released a year apart. I haven't seen the musical.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Yes, the stage play is being split into two movies, (with Part 2 scheduled to be released around Christmas 2025.
The first movie, scheduled for release around Thanksgiving 2024, will end with the show's most famous song "Defying Gravity."

Per director John M. Chu:
As we prepared the production over the last year, it became impossible to wrestle the story of 'Wicked' into a single film without doing some real damage to it ... As we tried to cut songs or trim characters, those decisions began to feel like fatal compromises to the source material that has entertained us all for so many years. We decided to give ourselves a bigger canvas and make not just one 'Wicked' movie but two! With more space, we can tell the story of 'Wicked' as it was meant to be told while bringing even more depth and surprise to the journeys for these beloved character

The running time for the stage musical WICKED, however, is only 2 -1/2 hours not counting intermission. A movie adaptation could certainly tighten this up, with the ability to edit scenes together without needing black-outs for set changes.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

The first time I watched the trailer I missed this glimpse of the young Elphaba:

kingrat

Post by kingrat »

L. Frank Baum wrote 14 Oz books. Ruth Plumly Thompson wrote 20, the illustrator John R. Neill wrote three (not very good), Jack Snow wrote two, and there was one by Eloise McGraw and her daughter.

The dream stuff was invented by MGM. Yuck. Oz is real; in The Emerald City of Oz, Uncle Henry and Aunt (never "Auntie") Em are about to lose the farm, so Princess Ozma kindly brings the whole family to Oz, which they like much better than Kansas.

As Holden says, RETURN TO OZ combines elements of The Land of Oz and Ozma of Oz, the two books which immediately follow the original book.