DISCOVERIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mrsl

DISCOVERIES

Post by mrsl »

for some reason, I've been watching several newer movies lately and although people have mentioned it, I didn't notice until I looked for it. Nobody appreciates scenery any more, whether outside or in. Everything is closeups of the actor talking. They may scan a room, but it's only to quickly land on the actor, not to show money or poverty, or beauty. Watch the people talk, that's all, it gets really boring.

Also, I saw Daniel Day Lewis win a British award last night. To me he is kind of a slight, rather pale looking guy. I never would have noticed him if he had never been in Last of the Mohicans. The odd thing is, in that movie, he put forward an entirely different personna. He was tough, strong, handsome, and all the other things you would attribute to Hawkeye, so how can the same guy be both? I've seen him in several other parts, but he has never equaled the spectacular specimen he was in 'Mohicans'.

My question is, Is there an actor who has played a part totally apart from the normal roles he plays? I don't mean a killer who plays a priest, but someone who physically looks different and not Spencer Tracy in Dr. Jeckyl either.?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
melwalton

Post by melwalton »

Anne

'physically looks different'

How about Fredric March as Wm. Jennings Bryan (they used a different name ) in 'Inherit the Wind" ?
Paul Muni as Juarez.
And then there was Lon Chaney.
With a little time. I'll come up with some others
......mel
melwalton

Post by melwalton »

Charles Laughton as Quasimodo in 'the Hunchback of Notre Dame'.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Mel:

No, you didn't get what I meant, or maybe I didn't explain well enough. Let me say it this way. Daniel Day Lewis is usually a quiet, rather meek and mild character, even when he is the hot lover, he doesn't display much of a force or take charge attitude. ie., he is the twerp in the 'before' photo in a bodybuilding ad. However, in Last of the Mohicans it was as if his entire face and body went through some sort of transformation into this handsome, sexy and virile hero. He even had a 'don't mess with me' attitude going. ie. the 'after' photo in the bodybuilding ad. It's not just make up and costuming. Think about Cary Grant seriously playing a quarterback - the idea is ludicrous, how many movies did you see Cary wearing anything other than a business suit? That's what I mean. Guys like Burt Lancaster, Mitchum, and even the Duke look like something is holding them down when wearing a suit and tie, like they're fighting for control. But those guys could easily wear a suit in one movie, and a football outfit in the next. They had no set personna. Cary did, and so does Daniel Day Lewis - the businessman. When he showed up as Hawkeye, it was a shock, totally out of his personna.

Now that I've typed all this, you're probably bored with the subject.

Anne
Anne

Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

How about Myrna Loy in her precode days as an exotic character? She was great in The Squall but completely unlike the far more consistent character she became after The Thin Man. She was a great exotic: also see Thirteen Women and The Mask of Fu Manchu and...

There's another thread I posted to here the other day about Edward G Robinson playing meek and mild characters, like in Mr Winkle Goes to War or Our Vines Have Tender Grapes. So different from the gangster persona he's best remembered for!

More recently, you could look at Jim Carrey. While I still have trouble buying Tom Hanks in serious roles because I'm conditioned to laugh as soon as he appears, somehow I could buy Carrey the clown in The Truman Show. Another couple of weeks and I'll see if I can buy him in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind too.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Russell Crowe, stock and brawny and not exactly known for meekness or as intellectual, as the nerdy types he played in The Insider and A Beautiful Mind.
melwalton

Post by melwalton »

Anne
Yes, I misunderstood but it wasn't boring at all.
Did you mean something like Cagney in musicals?
Or Robinson in 'the Whole Town's Talking'?
Or Astaire in 'Ghost Story' or 'On the Beach' or the one with Astaire and Lemmon ( I forget title ) ?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

YaY!!

Yes Mel, exactly. Someone playing outside their usual box. Maybe if I had said that in the beginning, it would have been easier to understand.

Anne
Anne

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Have you seen Daniel Day Lewis in My Left Foot. A complete transformation.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Actually Gangs of New York is more what I meant, although he still looks like he's an anemic skeleton.

Anne
Anne